International Rescue Committee Job Vacancy January 2022
Requisition ID: req23209
Job Title: Sanitation & Hygiene Promotion Assistant
Sector: Program Administration
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Jijiga, Ethiopia
Scope and background: IRC have been present in Ethiopia since 2000 to respond to artificial and natural disasters. IRC is currently operational in five regional states and 24 refugee camps implementing a diverse range of multi-sectoral interventions. IRC currently responds to the needs of vulnerable HHs affected by climate change in Shebelle and Afder Zones and surrounding districts through a multi-sector interventions that address both short and long term needs. Under the program “Emergency life-saving and complimentary assistance to communities affected by draught in Elele and Qohle Woredas of Shebelle and Afder Zone”, IRC intends to implement a multipurpose cash transfer project in the two zone in collaboration with the government, INGOs, and partners to mitigate the impact of conflict and draught on the most vulnerable households (women, children, old people, and the person with a disability). The project intends to meet both food and non-food needs of the target households and their family members.
The Position mainly involves undertaking rapid Hygiene Promotion Assistant (HPA) need assessments and implementing emergency WASH response. The HPA will be based in Gode Town of Somali Region and can be deployed to Elele and Qohle Woredas and any other emerging emergency situation in localities as needed.
- Reports to hygiene promotion officer.
- Integrating with other team members, the Sanitation and HP assistant undertakes detail Hygiene and Sanitation need assessments.
- Assist HPO in Preparation of detail physical & financial implementation plan for emerging emergency responses.
- Assist in preparing of IEC Materials to be used at community level.
- Ensure the accurate convey of hygiene and sanitation messages.
- Prioritize community level hygiene awareness campaigns and prevention of Cholera.
- Coordinate training for community representatives on Hygiene, sanitation, and Cholera control.
- Plan and ensure the accurate distribution of Non Food Items.
- Works closely with Zone, Woreda Water and Health Offices towards efficient and effective process of the response;
- Works in collaboration with IRC Cash transfer teams to ensure accurate integration of the interventions.
- Produces activity progress reports as per the preset reporting schedule and submit to the supervisor.
- Prepare brief emergency related monthly updates to the supervisor.
- Facilitate community participation during the emergency interventions.
- In coordination with woreda DRMC and other relevant sector offices HP Assistant, Ensure the implementation of project activities.
- Facilitate meeting for program staff with partners on identified gaps
- Conduct continuous monitoring and evaluation of project activities with relevant government partners.
- In collaboration with other ERR Manager and Cash transfer team ensure high level of community participation in the project and regularly monitor terms of money with local labor market standard.
- Identify, compile and maintain training materials for uses.
- Provide information on technical problems and feedbacks to the technical team on time.
- Report activity progress and situation on monthly bases to the Cash officer
- Maintain strong working relationships with respective IRC staffs and partners like Community health workers, kebele leaders, schoolteachers by coordinating regular review meetings at kebele level at least once per month.
Perform another task assigned by his/her supervisor
• BSc Degree/Diploma in Environmental Health, public Health and Social science field
• 0 year experience for BSc Degree holders and 2 years’ experience for Diploma holders.
• NGO experience is plus.
• Hygiene promotion experience in local community settings.
• Basic computer skill (Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and e-mail).
• Ability to work as part of a team as well as to work autonomously when required.
• Good command spoken and written English.
• Knowledge of the local language is an Asset .
Apply to Sanitation & Hygiene Promotion Assistant