For more than 40 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 30 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
MdM France has been operating in Ethiopia since 1986 in different types of health projects from long-term interventions to emergency response. Beside an on-going project implemented in the Afar region with AFD funds, MdM France is currently running a project in the Oromia region with ECHO funds. It is also developing an intervention in the Tigray region where an armed conflict broke out between Ethiopian National Defence Forces (ENDF) and Tigrayan regional forces (Tigray People’s Liberation Front) and militias, on 4 November 2020.
The objective of MdM France is to send a team to Tigray to support provision of primary health care service to the local populations.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of the field coordinator and supported by the security advisor in HQ, you are responsible to develop and follow up context analysis mechanisms in Tigray in accordance with national and MdM internal procedures, under a confidentiality-based approach.
Your main responsibilities are:
• Assess daily the security context (regional, national and local)
• Conduct on-going security risk and threats assessment and develop risk mitigation strategies, and organize security exercises and oversee the adherence of the team
• Develop, implement and monitor the implementation of the security pack in all operational bases
• Set up mechanisms of security alerts to all key staff
• Advise on technical protection and communication matters
• Identify a contact list to ensure safe access to implement MdM medical activities
Liaison with authorities and humanitarian actors
• Develop, maintain and establish an effective communication and good relationship to facilitate visits of MdM staff and to obtain access authorization for current and potential intervention areas
• Participate to any scheduled technical and coordination meetings when needed
• Liaise with and exchange information
• Represent MdM values
• Develop and update a focal points database for info collection in permanent basis
• Create and maintain a field-level network of focal points to strengthen mutual understating and acceptance of targeted communities
• Develop SOP, validation procedures and briefing prior to fieldtrips to new and/or sensitive areas
• Get verification of safe access by communication with key people before each field visit
• Coordinate the convoy during fieldtrips, represent MdM in check points, and introduce the objective of the assessment, importance and methodology if needed
• During identification of MdM new locations of interventions, collect information about the possible places from the different networks (safety, access, and other relevant actors)
• Build understanding of the social composition of the targeted communities including identification of marginalized groups, cultural norms, relationship between men and women in the community and any other social factors that can be linked to MdM intervention
• Introduce MdM team in the field and adapt the security pack
• Identify relevant actors in the area and get involved in the actors’ mapping including analysis of relationships and dynamics between different actors and impact on the MdM intervention
• Identify possible places for team hibernation in the field
Activities outside Tigray
• Carry out the same activities in support of the other MdM projects/bases in the country
• Conduct visits to new locations to explore the possibility of a new base and operations from a security perspective
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Status : Employee Contract
Duration : 6 months
Starting date: as soon as possible
Gross monthly salary: 2 860 euros
Position based in Mekele with regular field visits in Tigray and in other MdM projects/bases in the country (30%)
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM and 40% by the employee)
Teleworking agreement for positions eligible to telework: 110 days/year (minimum of 1 day per week onsite), minimum of 6 months seniority required
Given the current circumstances of Covid-19 pandemic, we are taking special measures to apply health protocols and hygiene measures to guarantee the safety of our staff.
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED:
Diploma in social sciences or another related field, specific security training is an asset
A minimum of 2 years of similar position in relief response humanitarian
Knowledge and mastery of security management methodologies and tools for humanitarian missions
Knowledge and mastery of telecommunications rules and tools, vehicle management and building security
Anticipate, alert, and manage complex situation
Create and develop a security network
Create and conduct security training
Languages: English mandatory and knowledge of Tigrinya and Amharic is an asset
You embrace the core values and support the proactive philosophy of Médecins du Monde.
TELEPHONE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
Médecins du Monde reserves the right to fill the vacancy before the closing date for applications.
MdM stands up for the integration of people living with disabilities and fights against discrimination.
How to apply:
Please apply via the following link: http://www.jobs.net/j/JKZIUFTG?idpartenaire=128