The Job Opportunity: ICT and GIS Specialist
The Household Economy Approach Utilization (HEA-U) activity is a one (1) year project that will
support evidence based decision making and strengthen the Government of Ethiopia’s analytic capacity
and information management to complement and support the GOE’s ongoing efforts to establish a
multi-hazard, multi-sector early warning system. The ICT and GIS Specialist will be responsible for integrating the use of innovative Information and Communication Technolgies (ICT) and Geographic Information Systems applications to collect, analyse and disseminate data to support decision making among Government and humanitarian partners. S/he oversees and provides leadership for all ICT and GIS-related activities that are associated with activity planning and implementation, and will advise the HEA Activity team on the application of geospatial information and analyses. The incumbent is expected to lead training and capacity building efforts targeting the Government of Ethiopia and partner staff on the utilisation of innovative technologies to strengthen emergency and development programs. In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Leads and tailors the Household Economy Approach Project’s generation and application of GIS to support application of livelihoods data to inform emergency and development programming.
- Facilitates discussions within the Project team to integrate geospatial information and analyses into strategic planning, activity implementation, and Learning, Monitoring, and Evaluation (LME).
- In collaboration with the Knowledge Management team, prepare, present, and disseminate livelihoods data and communications resources tailored to the priorities of internal and external audiences in a visual and dynamic fashion.
- Provides geographic analysis to guide evidence-based planning.
- Leads the development and management of databases to increase the efficiency of access to and quality of data that supports decision making.
- Lead the design of a user-friendly web-portal to archive data and enhance user access to materials and reports.
- Lead the development of web-based applications that provide access to downloadable tools that support ongoing on-demand analysis
- Lead the development and facilitation of training on geospatial analysis and use of Geographic Information Systems, tailored to GOE and partners implementing emergency and development programming.
In order to be successful you will bring/have:
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BSC/ BA in the relevant field such as information systems and information and communication technology .
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- 8 years of relevant professional experience, in the field of data and information management systems and data analysis.
- Knowledge and experience in using Adobe and ArcGIS are highly desirable.
Proven technical experience in development and use of innovative technology, particularly in the areas of data, early warning and response monitoring, use of mobiles and open source, and training in the related field is highly desirable
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience
We offer a competitive package in the context of the sector.
Please add further detail here as required. For example: This role is offered on the basis of national terms and conditions only.
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at https://ift.tt/2WSs5Rv
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Apply to Save The Children Vacancy 2021 | ICT and GIS Specialist