Position Type: Contract
Duration: 6 months
The Safety and Access Advisor (SAA) will develop and ensure the systematic application of Medical Teams safety and security management policies and procedures in Ethiopia and Sudan. The SAA will develop a wide network for information gathering and represent Medical Teams International in relevant coordination meetings. Work will include Security Risk Assessments, liaison with community/humanitarian/government stakeholders, and ensuring that all staff have received required briefings and training. The SAA will also assist with incident management and reporting as needed. The SAA will also spend time in Sudan, assisting in the security setup for Medical Teams new locations.
The SAA will report to the Ethiopia Country Director and will work closely with other team members to cultivate a good security culture. This role has technical oversight from the Global Safety and Security Advisor. The Safety and Access Advisor will provide technical support and capacity building to the Tigray Access Officer.
Medical Teams International Calling:
Daring to love like Jesus, we boldly break barriers to health and restore wholeness in a hurting world.
- Develop good professional relationships with relevant authorities and stakeholders.
- Build positive working relationships with personnel in similar roles at other NGOs/UN.
- Attend relevant inter-agency coordination meetings.
- Ensure that Medical Teams has a wide network of security contacts and sources of information for triangulation and maintain these relationships.
Security Risk Assessments:
- Conduct desktop and on-ground Security Risk Assessments for all new locations, helping to evaluate risks to staff, beneficiaries or Medical Teams assets.
- Assess all potential facilities (offices, accommodation, warehouses, health facilities etc), making recommendations on safety of location and security additions needed.
- Ensure and regularly reassess those vehicles, facilities and equipment are compliant with Medical Teams’ standards. Advise and where necessary implement improvements.
- Co-ordinate with program staff in implementation of project plans and how these relate to security.
- Continuously monitor access challenges and advise on possible solutions.
- Maintain an up-to-date understanding of government requirements and processes for travel and project implementation. Lead on acquiring permissions.
Policies and Procedures:
- Uphold the Field Operations Safety and Security Policy.
- Make recommendations on SOPs and contingency plans to reduce staff risk and vulnerability.
- Ensure revised Safety and Security Instructions, policies and procedures are approved, publicized, and implemented across the team.
- Ensure that contingency plans for Crisis Management, Evacuation, Relocation, Hibernation, and Medical Evacuation are in place, and disseminated and adopted amongst staff.
- Ensure that security procedures are understood and respected at all times and support the Country Director / Field Coordinator in taking the right steps in case of non-compliance to rectify the situation.
Information Collection and Analysis:
- Research and analyze security dynamics in project areas from a variety of local and national sources in order to produce weekly security updates.
- Lead regular and ad hoc security meetings/briefings.
- Maintain a clear centralized filing system of security-related documents.
- Systematically map all incidents and provide timely analysis to identify emerging trends and inform future security management.
- Ensure all new staff have thorough briefing on SOPs and areas of operation and are updated as needed.
- Complete the Field Operations Security Monitor for Ethiopia and Sudan on a quarterly basis.
Safety and Security Incidents:
- Scenario plan most likely incidents and ensure Medical Teams is ready to respond.
- Advise on appropriate actions and assist in incident management as needed.
- Ensure incident reports are completed in a timely manner and submit to the Country Director.
Safety and Security Training:
- Assist in defining training needs, lead training according to the Medical Teams Safety and Security Training Manual, and identifying external trainers as needed.
- Ensure the Safeguarding of program participants and employees through promoting an environment of awareness and upholding the code of conduct provisions of Medical Teams Protection from Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, Child & Vulnerable Adult protection, and harassment-free workplace policies.
- Utilize volunteers when appropriate.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Education, Licenses, & Certifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Security Management, Political/Social Science, Military Studies, Management, Law Enforcement or a relevant field.
- Completed Personal Security, HEAT or other similar security training (preferably in the last three years)
- Completed First Aid Training in the last three years
- Completed security/risk management training or similar (desirable)
- Minimum two years’ experience in a similar role e.g. country security advisor or security manager.
- Minimum two years’ experience in contexts with complex access challenges
- Up to two years’ experience in insecure contexts
- Two or more years’ experience working in a humanitarian organization
- Experience in conducting security risk assessments
- Experience in gathering and analyzing security information, and recommending appropriate actions
- Experience in delivering security training
- Experience of managing security incidents
- Experience with government / CIV-MIL liaison (desirable)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Fluent spoken and written English
- Strong interpersonal and team skills
- Proven ability to be flexible in demanding situations
- Able to work under pressure
- Excellent communicator
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment
- Negotiation and representation skills
- Analytical and problem solving
- Understanding of Ethiopia and Sudan security contexts (desirable)
- Computer literate, able to work efficiently in Microsoft office on standard or mobile platforms.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others
- Able and willing to work outside of normal business hours when needed
- Able and willing to travel throughout Ethiopia and Sudan up to 70% of the time
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & WORKING CONDITIONS:
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the employee must be able to:
- Frequent use of a personal computer, database and digital platforms, and other office productivity machinery, such as a copy machine and computer printer.
- Frequently uses hands, fingers, and arms to reach, handle, touch or feel equipment, medical instruments, materials, computer.
- Frequent communication and exchange of information among colleagues and persons of concern which requires the ability to speak, hear, convey and express oneself.
- Frequent close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Occasionally ascends/descends stairs, steps, or ladder.
- Occasionally move about inside an office to access file cabinets, office machinery, meet with colleagues, etc.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Seldom to occasionally positions self to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- If in travel status, occasional to frequent traversing over rough or steep terrain in either a motor vehicle or on foot.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet. Add more options and include field requirements.
- The employee may be required to travel to remote areas of the world where there are potential health hazards and risks, limited hygiene facilities, extreme hot or cold weather, and very basic living conditions.