Research Triangle Institute (RTI) has over 30 years’ experience assisting governments, communities, and the private sector. As a not-for-profit, independent research institute based in North Carolina, USA, RTI has roughly 5,000 employees with global experience implementing international development projects. RTI's Sustainable Growth & Resilience (SG&R) technical unit within the International Development Group brings together RTI experts and capabilities across food security, agriculture, energy, environment, water, governance, and economic opportunity. SG&R will leverage RTI's experience designing and delivering multisectoral programming and technical solutions to respond to climate change, build resilience, and promote economic growth around the world**.**
RTI is recruiting a Research Manager for an anticipated, upcoming project in Ethiopia, Poverty Reduced Sustainably in an Environment of Resilient and Vibrant Economy(PReSERVE). PReSERVE is an integrated activity to improve food security of vulnerable households in targeted Productive Safety Net Program (PSNP) communities in the Amhara Region and contribute to a sustained reduction in rural poverty. The Research Manager is responsible for managing all research, research partners, consultants, and sub-contractors pertaining to research objectives and activities, ensuring high quality deliverables that meet the learning and evaluation needs of PReSERVE, utilizing M&E data whenever possible. The Research Manager is also responsible for ensuring that research is used for learning, overseeing the work of the Collaborating, Learning, and Adapting (CLA)Coordinators who will facilitate learning on a daily basis while embedded with technical and cross-cutting specialists and traveling frequently to the Woreda level to facilitate activities with stakeholders and woreda-level staff. The Research Manager will have overall responsibility for aligning PReSERVE knowledge management systems, and championing dissemination of findings with the support of the CLA Coordinators.
The Research Manager will report to the CLA Lead, who is responsible for aligning the research agenda with the learning and adaptive management needs of the program and coordinating with the MEL Team. The Research Manager will have technical leadership over the research portfolio, with substantial input from the Resilience and Market Systems Research Specialist in the RTI International home office.
Please note that this role is contingent upon the award of this project to Food for the Hungry and RTI.
- Serves as primary point of contact for Bahir Dar University; commissioning, designing and managing all research activities, reviewing deliverables, and contributing to final reports and presentations.
- Oversees all research activities, including identifying and engaging qualified consultants to carry out a wide range of research studies of various types.
- Manages direct implementation of selected research or evaluative studies as needed, including identifying, engaging and managing local data collection firms, and taking responsibility for the design and execution of the study, as well as reviewing reports and deliverables.
- Liaises with subject matter experts in the RTI home office, including facilitating technical oversight and direct implementation of various studies.
- Liaises with DFSA technical staff for implementation research, formative research and participatory research, and engage community level stakeholders as appropriate and in coordination with technical staff.
- Coordinates closely with the CLA Lead to ensure research remains aligned with the learning agenda, complementary activities of other DFSAs, donor requests and other emerging needs.
- Coordinates closely with the MEL team to utilize MEL data whenever possible, incorporate MEL data into research studies, and otherwise ensure the research and MEL activities leverage each other and avoid duplication.
- Represents project in various research and networking forums.
- Advise on the PReSERVE learning agenda and develop a detailed research agenda to support the overall learning agenda.
- Supervise the CLA Coordinators in day-to-day learning activities to prepare findings for dissemination, and to design and facilitate workshops and activities with technical staff, cross-cutting team leads, and community-level stakeholders.
- Contribute to PReSERVE knowledge management practices and platforms, actively disseminate results within the PReSERVE team, and prepare results for sharing in external forums in coordination with the CLA Lead.
Other responsibilities as agreed upon by the CLA Lead and COP.
- Bachelor’s and 10 years of experience or a Master’s and 6 six of experience
- Demonstrated experience in facilitating learning and knowledge sharing processes, in establishing and managing dynamic feedback systems to capture experiential learning and unintended. consequences and fostering collaboration across teams or organizations is required.
- In-depth understanding of applicable research methods, knowledge management and project design. Previous experience with Food for Peace programming preferred.
- Significant field experience in research, design, and evaluation, preferably in Ethiopia.
- Experience in developing capacity building through local stakeholders is highly desirable.
- Strong interpersonal, writing and oral presentation skills in English required.
How to apply:
Apply to Research Manager