For more than 40 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 30 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
MdM France (MdM-F) has been operating in Ethiopia since 1986, implementing development cooperation and emergency assistance projects in a number of regions such as Tigray, Somali and Afar. MdM-F implements its projects with a local and expatriate team and in most cases with a local implementing partner.
In 2018 MdM supported the Afar region’s health authorities in the Cholera outbreak response through case management, surveillance, social mobilization, WASH and logistics. In the same region and at the same time, MdM started also a program on reduction of gender-based violence (GBV) among female sex workers (FSWs) in Afar funded by the French Agency for Development (AFD) and that is still ongoing.
In 2019, MdM as a network – MdM France and MdM Germany (MdM-Ge) – and in partnership with a local partner implemented an emergency program in Gerbo district (Nogob Zone) funded by GFFO. In this project, the supported health facilities provide complete primary healthcare services including general consultations, SRH, WASH, nutrition and immunization.
Following Covid-19 pandemic, MdM-F has also been responding to it in its project areas and in Jigjiga city and Qoloji IDP camp, in Somali region and in Afar.
The Somali region projects have now been handed over from MdM-F to MdM-Ge since May 2021.
Recently, MdM-F started a project in Oromia and Somali regions to improve access to quality health services with ECHO fund through consortium with COOPI and MdM-Ge. MDM-F intends to open up operations in Tigray in the coming months.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of the general coordinator, you oversee the development, implementation, follow-up and supervision of medical and health-related activities of the MdM France mission. You are also expected to assist MdM Germany's medical team and program with punctual support and to guarantee coherence of medical programming of both MdM chapters.
More specifically, you will be in charge of:
- Contribute to the overall planning and strategic direction of the programmes
- Be the focal point on medical aspects for the development of programmes and proposals
- Contribute to the advocacy strategies of both MdM chapters
- Provide technical support in health-related issues and in the development of health-related materials
- Ensure the effective monitoring and evaluation of health activities in line with MdM and donors guidelines and with national authorities requirements
- By delegation of the general coordinator, represent MdM with national authorities, donors, international organizations and other stakeholders
- Directly line manage the Addis based medical team and technically manage the field-based medical teams
- Conduct briefings, evaluations and debriefings of the medical teams
- Identify potential gaps and promote capacity building of the medical team
- Support implementing partners in the design of efficient medical teams and in the identification of training and capacity building needs
- Participate in the recruitment of the medical staff
- In close collaboration with administrative and logistics coordinator, review and update guidelines for staff health
- Based on the updated MdM guidelines, ensure that SOP for the management of occupational accidental exposure to blood is in place and well understood by staff
- Support the development and implementation of the general strategy on MdM activities with the general coordinator and the team
- Develop relevant documents included in MdM commitment towards authorities (SOPs, protocols, etc.)
- Develop the analysis of the medical/health data and ensure reporting system
- Provide medical team with necessary and relevant guidelines to conduct their job in a qualitative manner
- Ensure that the targets and objectives of the project are set correctly and achieved
- In collaboration with MdM coordinators, monitor closely the implementation of medical activities by partners, in line with MdM standards
- Analyze and monitor medical and health-related data received from the field and provide feedback and technical support to the medical team; also provide feedback to partners, health authorities and supported health facilities
- Contribute to the writing of situational reports and other reports sent to HQ
- Collaborate with programme coordinators and M&E team on updating Monitool and internal MdM database
- Prepare TORs, write reports after every field visit
- Participate in the writing of donor reports and project proposals
Coordination with partners
- Participate in the relevant meetings and clusters related to the programmes and MdM strategies (MoH, UN, inter agencies, INGO forum)
- Ensure project coordination and lobbying with other health partners (MoH, UN, INGOs)
- Participate in relevant workshops and support capacity building within MoH teams
- Build collaboration and partnership with other stakeholders
Management of pharmacy stocks
- Ensure missions have an updated standard essential drug list for each project
- In close collaboration with the administrative and logistics coordinator and the medical supervisor in HQ, ensure pharmacy management is carried out
- Based on MdM pharmacy management procedures, plan and prepare medical requests for the supplies of essential drugs and medical consumables
- Ensure timely update of mission pharmacy guidelines
- Ensure follow-up and assessment of validations for medical suppliers
- Ensure that the whole process of pharmacy management is in line with MdM policy and provide the necessary support to the staff involved
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Contract: Fixed-term contract
Duration: 6 months
Starting date: as soon as possible
Based in Addis Ababa
Gross monthly salary: 3 089 euros
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM and 40% by the employee)
Teleworking agreement for positions eligible to telework: 110 days/year (minimum of 1 day per week onsite), minimum of 6 months seniority required
Given the current circumstances of Covid-19 pandemic, we are taking special measures to apply health protocols and hygiene measures to guarantee the safety of our staff.
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED:
Doctor, nurse, midwife or public health background.
5 years work experience with similar position in INGO
Experience with Médecins du Monde, a strong asset. Previous experience in Ethiopia, an asset.
Experience in negotiations with local authorities, partners and staff in difficult contexts
Good understanding of the health context and healthcare system
Grasp and master international medical standard protocols
Strong organizational skills in emergency situations and autonomy
Ability to train internal and external national staff
Take decisions and arbitrate
Good knowledge of Microsoft Package (especially Excel)
Languages: English (written and spoken) mandatory.
French, an asset.
You embrace the core values and support the proactive philosophy of Médecins du Monde.
TELEPHONE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
Médecins du Monde reserves the right to fill the vacancy before the closing date for applications.
MdM stands up for the integration of people living with disabilities and fights against discrimination.
How to apply:
To apply, click on the following link: http://www.jobs.net/j/JUvIOpwf?idpartenaire=128