ICTJ is seeking qualified applicants for the position of a full-time senior consultant (40 hours per week) to act as its Senior Consultant in Ethiopia. The consultant will work closely with staff in ICTJ in New York, Brussels, and other ICTJ offices on all matters related to the implementation and operation of the project “Strengthening Civil Societies’ Capacities to Contribute to the Transitional Justice Process in Ethiopia”.
The location of this position is in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. This is a two year contract with the possibility of extension.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITY
Under the supervision of ICTJ’s Director of Programs, or her delegate, and in close coordination with ICTJ Program Expert, the Program Coordinator will:
· Oversee the implementation of ICTJ’s work plan for Ethiopia.
· Implement, manage and monitor the project “Strengthening Civil Societies’ Capacities to Contribute to the Transitional Justice Process in Ethiopia” at all levels, substantively, financially and managerially.
· Represent ICTJ in the country, ensuring regular communication with national partners, seeking their input and feedback, and keeping ICTJ abreast of their Transitional Justice interests and priorities.
· Liaise regularly with key Ethiopian stakeholders on transitional justice, including government, civil society, and international actors in coordination to the fullest extent possible with ICTJ partners.
· Identify and recommend new potential ICTJ partners and civil society organizations representative of a variety of ethnic, political and social background in Addis Ababa, Oromia and Somali Region. Particular focus should be given to civil society organizations working on gender issues.
· Coordinate and organize activities and meetings involving ICTJ’s experts and Ethiopian stakeholders.
· Work with ICTJ’s Communications staff in ensuring compliance with EU visibility and communication rules, publicizing ICTJ’s Ethiopia-relevant insights, publications, other media products and overall work.
· Coordinate with colleagues in ICTJ’s Program Office, Brussels office, Finance, Development and Human Resources units to fulfill various institutional initiatives and grant obligations.
· Provide input to ICTJ’s experts on transitional justice-related developments affecting Ethiopia, including frequent updates and analysis.
· Perform research (compile and organize comparative information, legal research, etc.); prepare draft memos, analytical reports, briefing papers and other documents as needed including for publication in ICTJ website.
· Develop a fundraising strategy to ensure follow up and continuation of the project activities, in coordination with ICTJ Development unit.
- Other duties as assigned.
· University degree in law, international relations, development or relevant field. A master’s degree will be an advantage.
· At least five years of professional experience in implementing or supporting transitional justice, reconciliation, human rights or similar processes. Experience working in Ethiopia would be an advantage.
· Proven ability to develop good interpersonal relationships with people from different ethnic and political background in Ethiopia, and of different gender.
· Proficient in the use of MS Office applications and internet use is required.
· Excellent oral and writing communication skills in English. Ability to speak local Ethiopian languages will be a strong asset.
· Strong organizational abilities with rigorous attention to detail in a multi-task and fast-paced environment.
· Strong coordination abilities while being also able to work independently with a high level of resilience.
· Flexibility and a commitment to teamwork as a team player with professionalism, integrity and commitment.
· Ability to travel as required.
· Identification with ICTJ’s mission.
How to apply:
Please email resume and cover letter with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org (include SENIOR CONSULTANT - ETHIOPIA in the subject line) by 18 July 2021.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Only selected candidates will be contacted. The position will start in September 2020. Salary commensurate with experience.
The ICTJ is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer strongly committed to hiring and retaining a diverse and internationally representative staff.