Youth Development Director
Chief of Party
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Ethiopian nationals are strongly encouraged to apply. Hiring for this position will be contingent upon funding from USAID.
ABOUT INTERNATIONAL YOUTH FOUNDATION (IYF)
For thirty years, our sole focus has been to help young people succeed. Together with partners around the world, we’ve invested in ensuring that youth develop the leadership, technical, and life skills to earn a livelihood. Whether it’s landing a first job, growing a business, or driving social change, every young person deserves the opportunity to realize his or her full potential. Rooted in the belief of youth as problem-solvers, change-makers, and leaders, our initiatives are catalysts for change. For more information, please consult www.iyfglobal.org.
IYF seeks a Youth Development Director who will provide technical leadership and guidance for the anticipated five-year USAID Integrated Youth Activity (IYA) in Ethiopia that aims to empower youth to advance their own economic, civic and social development. This position requires strong project management and coordination skills, technical knowledge, deep youth networks, and extensive experience cultivating and establishing partnerships. Key stakeholder relationships will include local youth-led and youth-serving organizations, local and national government authorities, private sector actors, and funders.
CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITES
· Strategic: Contribute to the project’s overarching vision in collaboration with the Chief of Party, other members of the senior management team and project partners, to ensure achievement of project results through a matrixed management approach.
- Provide technical leadership and guidance ensuring that interventions are integrated, high quality and evidence-based.
- Design and implement proven and evidenced-based interventions to strengthen the technical and life skills of young people, link them to employment opportunities and improve their access to youth-friendly services. Interventions should be gender sensitive/transformative, align with positive youth development, and emphasize participatory and youth-led approaches
- Strengthen the capacity of young people, youth networks, youth-serving organizations, and government. Develop and implement capacity strengthening plans. Develop tools and guides to facilitate knowledge transfer. Provide technical training and support.**- Functional:** In collaboration with project leadership, contribute to the development of project work-plans and annual implementation plans that are consistent with project goals and objectives.
· Reporting: Contribute to the development and timely submission of written reports, including funder reports and oral presentations on the project. Prepare periodic update reports on project successes, challenges facing the project, and progress toward meeting deliverables.
- Establish, cultivate, and maintain relationships with the ecosystem of project actors, including the public sector, private sector, civil society, community-based organizations, and local governments.**
- Develop and deliver oral and written project presentations and related communications products for meetings, conferences, and other events designed to share project learning and outcomes.**
- Represent the project at meetings, workshops, and conferences to promote the project in Ethiopia, the region, and globally.
· Learning: Work with project leadership to support continuous project learning and ensure integration of measurement, evaluation, and research into management decision-making.**
· Supervisory: Directly supervise project staff as assigned, and provide ongoing support through coaching, performance evaluations, and feedback for achievement of annual project objectives and goals.**
· Perform other duties as requested.**
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of Master’s degree required in a relevant field such as education, international development, or project management or equivalent work experience preferred.
- Minimum of seven years of experience implementing youth development activities (e.g., economic empowerment, education, health). Experience working with the private sector is a plus.
- Strong understanding of the economic, educational, and youth contexts in Ethiopia, with a deep national network of relevant contacts across government, industry, and civil society.
- Technical leadership experience on youth development projects funded by USAID and/or other funders.
- Strong understanding of best practices in youth programming, including Positive Youth Development, and familiarity with USAID’s Youth in Development Policy.
- Experience cultivating relationships and collaborating with a variety of Ethiopian stakeholders including youth, government ministries and officials, NGOs, donors, the private sector, and community-based institutions.
- Experience developing and implementing effective capacity strengthening models and approaches for organizations and individuals.
- Experience working collaboratively with teams from diverse backgrounds.
- Strong presentation, reporting, and communication skills.
- Spoken and written fluency in English and Amharic.
- Excellent computer skills using MS Office 365 Suite of products including Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to travel up to 30% of the time.
How to apply:
Please submit your CV in English via email to email@example.com with "Youth Development Director" in the subject line. To be eligible for this position, applicants must have the legal authority to work and reside in Ethiopia; this position is a local hire position in Ethiopia. Applications will be reviewed as received.
The International Youth Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.