Requisition ID: req15794
Job Title: Water Quality Officer
Sector: Environmental Health
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Melkadida, Ethiopia
About The IRC
We are, one of the world’s largest humanitarian international Non-Governmental organizations, providing relief, rehabilitation and development support to vulnerable people and communities over 30 countries. We began work in Ethiopia in 2000 in response to severe drought in Ethiopia’s Somali region and are currently providing assistance to Ethiopians and refugees in six regions in Ethiopia, implementing emergency and development programs in health, water and sanitation, economic recovery and development (ERD), women’s protection and empowerment, education, child protection, and multi-sectoral emergency response
The Water Quality Officer reports to the Environmental Health Managers and is responsible for ensuring the supply of potable water to more than 70,000 refugees and host community member in Melkadida and Kobe refugee camps. Primary responsibilities include overseeing the proper treatment of water at permanent treatment plants; supervision and monitoring of regular water quality test activities; set up of water quality data management system (data collection, entry, analysis, reporting); and conducting regular trainings to build the staff capacity on water treatment and quality monitoring. The water quality officer position also requires proper management of equipment, consumables and other resources under the program and reporting periodically to supervisors.
Key Job functions/responsibilities
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Ensure proper treatment/disinfection of water at treatment plants.
- Establish clear and straightforward management systems including Jar tests, Alum dosage, Chlorine dosage, chemical preparation, etc.
- Organize regular water quality data monitoring system and conduct regular water quality test starting from the Intake, to different stages of treatment plant, tap stands, storage reservoir/s, household level, etc to ensure refugees/host community are supplied with safe water as per UNHCR and international standards.
- Develop necessary formats and a database for regular water quality data collection, data entry, storage, analysis and report production.
- Raise purchase requests for procurement of equipments, reagents, treatment chemicals, and ensure the availably of all necessary items in stock for regular water quality test and operation.
- Ensure the cleaning of treatment plant units, service reservoir, and clean water wells at regular, scheduled intervals.
- Prepare the preparation of Operation and training manuals for the water treatment plants and quality monitoring operation.
- Work with other Environmental Health team and coordinate with other IPs on information sharing related with water quality and promotion of proper water storage at household level.
- Summarize and produce weekly and monthly water quality report and share for each refugee camps to inform the status and action to be taken;
- Contribute an input in developing WASH project proposal in the portion of water quality.
- Participate in different WASH coordination meetings in representing IRC at Melkadida and Kobe camps.
- Serve as the focal person for water quality issues for Melkadida and Kobe camps and head of the water quality lab.
- Conduct annual regular training/refresher/ for water quality team members at Melkadida, and Kobe refugee camps including all water operation team, assistant water quality officers, and water treatment operators & quality monitors, electromechanical technicians and Sanitation & hygiene promotion team.
- Prepare notes, modules, and other related resources regarding the training component and share for the trainees;
- Organize the laboratories with necessary equipment’s, manuals for equipment’s, books, and other electronic reference materials.
- Qualification in Sanitary/Environmental Engineering, Environmental Health, Applied Chemistry, Applied Biology, or any other relevant field.
- Experience 3 years of relevant experience with the first degree or 2 years of relevant experience plus postgraduate. NGO experience is a plus. Previous experience of managing/monitoring of town water supply particularly in surface water treatment and quality monitoring activities.
- Basic supervisory/managerial skills.
- Technical and report writing skills
- Computer literate.
- Fluent spoken and written English.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
Apply to Water Quality Officer at IRC Ethiopia