Support the Department for Education, Human Science, Technology and Innovation (ESTI) at the African Union in the implementation of the Skills Initiat
Invitation to Tender
The Skills Initiative for Africa (SIFA) is an initiative of the African Union Commission (AUC) and the African Union Development Agency (AUDA-NEPAD) supported by the German Government and the European Union.
SIFA is actively contributing to the goals set in Agenda 2063 and SDGs, as unpacked in the Continental Education Strategy for Africa (CESA 16-25), Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) Strategy), and the Science, Technology and Innovation Strategy for Africa (STISA 2024).
The Initiative is implementing a range of activities in the area of employment-oriented skills development which are contributing to the African Union overall action plan. Main pillars of this strategy are inter alia the “Africa Creates Jobs”, “Innovating Education in Africa Expo” and the “African Continental Qualification Framework”.
2. Tasks to be performed by the consultant
A regional expert is required in Addis Ababa to support the Department for Human Resource, Science and Technology (ESTI) at the African Union to support the implementation and coordination of SIFA activities targeting employment-oriented skills development in close cooperation with the implementing partners – mainly AUDA-NEPAD and GIZ.
The following objectives are to be achieved.
- Liaison between AUC-ESTI and other SIFA project partners (mainly AUDA-NEPAD and GIZ).
- Strengthen links of relevant AU processes and Initiatives with the SIFA ensuring tangible outcomes for entrepreneurship and employability.
- Organisation of the Innovating Education in Africa Expo through the facilities of the African Union Commission (AUC)
- ACQF Workshops: Liaison between AUC-ESTI (Education Division) and partners (mainly GIZ) for logistical organization of ACQF workshops to develop policy options and related action document.
- Support integration and linking webpages and AU Learn
- Support in co-ordinating of the organisation of the Africa Creates Jobs conference with the main partners. Support of AUC-ESTI (Education Division) in the strategic positioning of the ACJ.
- Support of AUC-ESTI in strategic alignment of different initiatives including the 1Million by 2021 Initiative, African Skills Observatory, Implementation of CESA strategy, especially TVET and other initiatives focusing on linking skills to African Continental Free Trade Area.
- Facilitating liaison between AUC – GIZ – EU on skills programmes
3. Experts qualifications and experience
For the consultancy period the expert will be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Minimum of bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Project Management or other related fields and experience in:
African Education and Training Sector (with continental perspective)
experience in coordination of major continental education and skills focused events
In-depth knowledge of AU youth and education strategies, action plans and monitoring tools (CESA, TVET Strategy, APAYE etc.)
Experience in reporting on activities of the African Union and its Partners using established channels and possessing the skills for packaging reports in digital and web formats
Knowledge and working experience with AUC and AU international cooperation partners, especially GIZ and EU
Language skills (highest level of fluency – written, read, spoken) English
Number of work days: 220
Flexible Work Days (the assignment is to be completed until 01.10.2022)
Period of assignment: 01.06.2021 – 01.10.2022
Before submitting any bid, interested bidders should collect further bidding documents listed down by contacting the e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Terms of reference
• Technical evaluation criteria’s
• Bid sheet
•GIZ General terms and conditions
How to apply:
The consultant will be required to submit a technical and financial offer. The financial offer should list the daily fees charged for this contract. Please note that this should not be specific to the task required, as a variety of tasks (as listed above) will have to be performed throughout the contract duration. The technical offer should include the approach taken by the consultant and showcase its previous work in the areas listed above.
All bids must be delivered/submitted via email address E_T_Quotation@giz.de. before 4:30pm GMT+3 on 25 of May, 2022. All bids must include a full technical and financial offer. Technical and financial offers have to be submitted separately. Bidders should submit their Technical and Financial Proposals as per the issued tender document by indicating the reference No.
GIZ SIFA Project reserves the right to cancel the bid fully or partially.