Requisition ID: req15800
Job Title: Supply Chain Transport Officer
Sector: Supply Chain
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Assosa, Ethiopia
About The IRC
We are, one of the world’s largest humanitarian international Non-Governmental organizations, providing relief, rehabilitation and development support to vulnerable people and communities over 30 countries. We began work in Ethiopia in 2000 in response to severe drought in Ethiopia’s Somali region and are currently providing assistance to Ethiopians and refugees in six regions in Ethiopia, implementing emergency and development programs in health, water and sanitation, economic recovery, and development (ERD), women’s protection and empowerment, education, child protection, and multi-sectoral emergency response
Under the direct supervision of the supply chain Manager and technical support from the Warehouse and Transport Manager of country office, the transport Officer is responsible for the planning, coordination, organizing and provision of appropriate and high-quality supply chain service to Assosa field office which covers 5 Refugee Camps and other implementations sites BGRS Regional State.
The Supply Chain Transport Officer will be responsible for the overall condition and safety of the IRC-Assosa Field Office vehicles including motor bikes and other hired vehicles to provide effective and efficient transport service for quality program delivery.
Key Job functions/responsibilities
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Submit monthly fleet operations report to the supply chain manager. This should include availability, maintenance, fuel and tyre cost summaries and ensure that reports are presented in a timely and efficient manner to the supply chain manager
- Supervise maintenance costs submitted by maintenance providers and compare with previous years, when variances are found report and rationalize the reasons.
- Supervise and comment on the performance of all drivers, Responsible for the weekly and daily transport schedule.
- Advise supply chain manager of any vital disciplinary action within the Transport unit.
- Ensure that spare parts fitted to the IRC vehicles are genuine and the costs are within both market rates and that agreed between IRC and service providers.
- Ensure that the vehicle fleet is insured at all times, checking insurance costs on a yearly basis and make any vital recommendations to SCM.
- Ensure that vehicles are checked annually in accordance with Ethiopia traffic regulations.
- Ensure that an evaluation system for drivers is in place and is supervised quarterly. This evaluation should include vehicle maintenance costs, vehicle breakage’s costs, (i.e parts that are replace due to breakage or misuse rather than normal wear) accident costs, tyre costs, vehicle availability and the general upkeep of the vehicle. (This should include cost that may be required to repair body dents, scratches, and the repair of seats etc)
- Where drivers are found to be implementing poor vehicle performance or breaking, IRC vehicles operation policy rules instigate disciplinary action.- Evaluate vehicle availability and utilization and recommend change to fleet size in accordance with project activities.
- Ensure safety of IRC vehicles and workplace-checking driving skills on a regular basis (expatriates as well as national drivers).Maintained: Health and safety (including training and materials) in workshop. In case of accidents follow up vital procedures (Insurance company, traffic police, lawyer, reporting, visiting scene, etc)
- Maintain and upkeep of hard copy filing system of vehicle maintenance records.
- Ensure that all drivers and IRC vehicle users (including expatriates) have valid and up-to-date driving licenses.
- Ensure that drivers fulfill health and safety regulations as per IRC Logistics and Personnel Manual. e.g wearing seat belts, driving safely and so on. Retain and secure spare keys for each vehicle.
- Ensure each vehicle has a first aid kit, fire extinguisher, jack wheel-brace and a spare in vehicle at all times, all in good condition.
- Ensure that all drivers maintain vehicles in the utmost cleanliness condition at all times.
- Ensure that all vehicle related documentation is in accordance with legal requirement.
- Identify training needs for the drivers; arrange on the job training sessions and provide training. Check the suitability of rental vehicles before they are sent to the field offices.
- Implement transport policy as advised by the IRC Ethiopia.
- Maintain good working relationships in the workplace.
- Any other related duties assigned by the immediate supervisor
- Conduct any other relevant activities or duties as deemed necessary by the Supply Chain Manager and Field coordinator.
- Diploma/ Degree in Auto mechanics, Transport management or any other related field from recognized technical school. This requirement may be waived depending on the related work experience.
- Minimum of 5 years for Diploma & 2 years for Degree holders with related experience in the field.
- Very good knowledge and experience in Microsoft Word and Excel software application.
- Must have good command of both spoken and written English and Amharic.
- Confirmed Ability to handle workloads and to work under pressure.
- Give attention to details
- Valid 3rd grade driving license have Helpful
- Adaptability: working in a multi-cultural environment.
- Excellent representational skills
Apply to Supply Chain Transport Officer