Senior Climate Change and Resilience Advisor
The Climate Change and Resilience Senior Advisor will use their in-depth contextual understanding, technical expertise, and relationship building skills to define and deliver our strategic ambition for climate change adaptation and resilience in Ethiopia. The role will lead strategy development and the technical design and implementation of high quality programmes that deliver change for children in both emergency and development programming. The role supports national advocacy and influencing, while driving strategic partnerships for new business development. It supports the design and implementation of monitoring and evaluation systems to demonstrate impact, while sharing learning across our programmes, teams and partners. The role will work closely with operations colleagues and with partners in Ethiopia, building their capacity and building ownership and agency of local organisations. This role includes a focus on external representation on priority issues including Climate Change adaptation, Resilience, Household Economic Approach (HEA) and nutrition-sensitive programming. In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
The Ethiopian country office has several on-going initiatives related with Climate Change adaptation and a climate change advisor will play an integral role in solidifying and growing this portfolio. Furthermore, the advisor will be expected to take lead for resource mobilization including programme and project identification; development and financing; learning, knowledge management and advocacy; and the development of a submission for Green Climate Fund application.
In order to be successful, you will bring/have:
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- MSc Degree in Climate Change, Environment, Agriculture, Food Security, natural resources or related fields with a minimum of 10 years related technical experience in the area of Climate Change, Resilience and HEA. BSc degree with exceptional and relevant work experience may be considered in lieu.
- Experience in working with government counterparts and other partners at various levels - federal to district o Ethiopia. This includes technical support, capacity-building and coordination.
- Track record in successful business development/fundraising GCF, USAID, DfiD, European Commission, Private Sector Foundations (e.g. Mastercard or Ford Foundation)
- Excellent understanding of climate change and resilience issues in Ethiopia at both field and policy levels.
- Practical understanding of the challenges and opportunities in realising children's rights in Ethiopia, in relation to the thematic area.
- Experience in designing Climate Change and Resilience strategies and proposals.
- Sound understanding of climate adaptation strategies, early warning and early actions;
- Good experience in working with private sectors.
- Good understanding of the Household Economic Approach [HEA] is an advantage
- Strong data collection, analysis and report writing skills.
- Strong analysis of climate change data and ability to summarise and communicate this to a range of audiences.
- Proven advocacy and representation skills
- Demonstrable experience in M&E
- Good presentation, training and facilitation skills
- Proven conceptual skills and an ability to think and plan strategically
- Good communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to train and mentor staff
- Proven ability to manage a complex and demanding workload
- Fluent in English and Amharic
- Good computer skills (particularly Excel, Word and databases)
- Commitment to Save the Children child protection policies.
Contract duration: One year with possibility of extension
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at careers
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agent
How to apply:
Please follow this link to apply: https://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=Zi50ZXMuNzA4NDEuMTIxODVAc2F2ZXRoZWNoaWxkc...