Senior Child Protection and Migration Advisor
The Senior Child Protection and Migration Advisor will use her/his in-depth contextual understanding, technical expertise, and relationship building skills to define and deliver our strategic ambition for Child Protection and migration in Ethiopia. The role will lead strategy development and the technical design and implementation of high quality programmes that deliver change for children in both emergency and development programming. The role supports national advocacy and influencing, while driving strategic partnerships for new business development. It supports the design and implementation of monitoring and evaluation systems to demonstrate impact; producing and utilizing high quality and well-articulated project evidence and research work for learning, for advocacy and for the continued development of the child protection and migration program portfolio; while sharing learning across our programmes, teams and partners. The role will work closely operations colleagues and with partners in Ethiopia, building their capacity and building ownership and agency of local organisations. The Advisor is also responsible for developing strong external relations government and other strategic partners; and represent Save the Children Ethiopia Country office by taking active part in relevant networks, meetings and forums in Ethiopia. This role includes a focus on external representation on priority issues including ending all forms of violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation of children in all settings, on areas of protection of children in migration and displacement and the strengthening of an effective and sustainable child protection system in all settings. In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
- Masters degree in Social Work, Child Protection or related field, or equivalent experience. BSc degree with exceptional and relevant work experience may be considered in lieu
- At least 10 years of experience in leading the design and implementation of humanitarian and development programmes in Child Protection and migration, including in child sensitive durable solutions programs
- Excellent understanding of the Child Protection sector in Ethiopia, including protection of children in migration and displacement
- Familiar with child protection systems, social work with children and families, case management, positive parenting, community level child protection and integration of child protection with education and other sectors.
- Track record in successful proposal development/fundraising with key donors, including OAK Foundation, Optimus, EU, DFID, SIDA, USAID, the US Bureau of Population Refugees and Migration
- Demonstrated program design, monitoring and evaluation skills, including designing pathways to sustainable impact at scale.
- Experience of strategy development and planning
- Experience of context, capacity and policy analysis, and influencing and advocacy at regional/international level in order to hold duty bearers to account to realise children's rights.
- Skilled at networking, representation and partnership development in order promote learning, strengthen civil society and mobilise resources.
- Significant experience in providing expert advice for effective implementation of projects
- Experience in working with government counterparts and other partners at various levels - federal to district. This includes technical support, capacity-building and coordination.
- Able to generate and use data and evidence to innovate, deliver, learn and share what works and what doesn't work for children
- Experience of promoting quality and impact through one or more cross-cutting area: migration and displacement; gender equality and inclusion, adaptive and safer programming; child rights; disability
- Experience of supporting humanitarian preparedness, response and recovery
- Significant experience in training, capacity building, and mentoring
- Fluent in English and high level of English writing skills.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITY
- Excellent understanding of CP and migration issues in Ethiopia at both field and policy levels.
- Substantial knowledge of CP and migration related national policies, strategies and other initiatives by government and other key stakeholders affecting children.
- Excellent working knowledge of government, public policy making and implementation to engage with policy makers, decision makers and opinion formers on CP and migration related issues that can change the lives of children and young people affected by or at risk of protection concerns.
- Practical understanding of the challenges and opportunities in realising children's rights in Ethiopia, in relation to thematic area.
- Strong analysis of CP and migration related data and ability to summarise and communicate this to a range of audiences.
- Proven advocacy and representation skills
- Ability to develop strong professional relationships and collaborations externally with stakeholders, and internally across functions, projects, and teams
- Understanding and experience in monitoring and evaluation
- Good presentation, training and facilitation skills
- Proven conceptual skills and an ability to think and plan strategically
- Good communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to train and mentor staff
- Ability to work effectively in a complex, fast-paced, matrixed, and multi-cultural environment
- Proven ability to manage a complex and demanding workload
- Strong organizational skills
- Willingness to travel to remote field locations including refugee camps
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children's aims, values and principles including rights-based approaches
- Good spoken and written English, fluency in Amharic
Contract duration: One year with possibility of extension
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at careers
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
How to apply:
Please follow this link to apply: https://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=ZS5hbWIuNTcyNTcuMTIxODVAc2F2ZXRoZWNoaWxkc...