Samuel Hall is seeking a professional and motivated individual to join its team for a full-time position as Project Lead, based in Ethiopia. The Project Lead will directly support the Pillar Lead to lead research, manage projects and support the strategic development of the company in Ethiopia. With a passion for migration & displacement studies, the Project Lead will bring academic technical expertise to the team, in addition to the desire to produce strong results which partners and clients can use to guide and improve programming. The Project Lead will be based in Addis Ababa, with travel across the country and to the regional office in Nairobi, Kenya, as required.
Who we are
Our research connects the voices of communities to change-makers for more inclusive societies. Samuel Hall is a social enterprise that conducts research in contexts affected by issues of migration and displacement. Our mandate is to produce research that delivers a contribution to knowledge with an impact on policies, programmes, and people. We provide practicable insights to challenging issues in the global South by providing academic-standard research through primary data collection in areas where researchers do not commonly go. Samuel Hall works with governments, donors, multilateral organisations and NGOs, as well public and private sector entities. We have worked with more than sixty-five organisations worldwide since 2010 through our offices in Afghanistan, Kenya, Tunisia, and Germany covering Asia and Africa. For more information visit www.samuelhall.org.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: We are a rapidly growing research organisation: you will be expected to grow with us and carve out your own spot in the team. We look for proactive, creative individuals who can identify opportunities to make their mark and identify solutions to problems. We believe in hiring people who can show their ability to be both strong leaders and reliable team-players, and able to to add value from the very start. We hire people who can expand our knowledge and help us reach our social impact objective in their field of expertise. We work in a fast-paced, demanding, and challenging environment.
Tasks to be performed
Objective 1- Operations
- Oversee fieldwork planning, logistics and implementation.
- Support with capacity building activities as required.
- Support and monitor field teams' work, including solving field problems, and manage SH junior staff in country.
- Maintain all processes as required.
Objective 2 - Research and Project Management
- Manage and lead projects in Ethiopia, including design of methodologies and research tools and fieldwork oversight.
- Conduct literature review and quantitative and qualitative analyses at an academic level.
- Conduct interviews with key stakeholders.
- Lead in the writing of client deliverables and research reports
- Liaise with clients.
- Ensure coordination between the different pillars by communicating staffing needs to pillar leads on a regular basis.
Objective 3 – Business Development
- Support the proposal writing teams as required.
- Represent Samuel Hall in the country and take part in research dissemination events.
- Support in expanding the network in Ethiopia, by identifying potential partners and/or clients and taking part in networking events on a regular basis.
Prior experience in migration and displacement-related research is required for this role. The successful candidate will have:
- A Master’s or PhD (preferred) in a relevant field (3+/5+ years of additional experience preferred)
- Past consulting and research experience specific to migrating and displaced populations in Ethiopia and/or East Africa
- Knowledge of key institutional frameworks and stakeholders
- Excellent spoken and written skills in English; knowledge of Amharic a plus.
- Proven experience in writing academic papers, research papers, consultancy reports and policy briefs
- Strong presentation / speaking skills and ability to build strong professional relationships.
- Proven experience in project management
- Proven experience in the development of academic-standard quantitative and qualitative tools and methodologies
- Significant experience of quantitative and qualitative data analysis and tools (for example, MS Excel, SPSS, NVIVO)
- Keen attention to detail
- Ability to be patient and to work well within a team.
- Ability to cope well under pressure, work occasionally irregular hours and meet tight deadlines.
- Aspirations to work independently and develop expertise of the Ethiopian context.
How to apply:
Email for submission: email@example.com
Submission guidelines: All applicants should send their cover letter and CV in separate PDF files, each labelled: “CL/CV – Full name of Applicant'' with the email subject line clearly expressed: “Your Name- Project Lead Ethiopia". Three samples of relevant work and three references should also be included.
For more information about the job description, click here