Place: Shire, Tigray Region, ETHIOPIA Starting date: 21th of June 2021
Length: 12 months Closing date for applications: 31rst of May 2021
“Outraged by the injustice faced by people with disabilities and vulnerable populations, we aspire to a world of solidarity and inclusion, enriched by our differences, where everyone can live in dignity”
Humanity & Inclusion (HI) is an independent and impartial aid and development organisation with no religious or political affiliations operating in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside people with disabilities and vulnerable people to help meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
Since the organisation was first founded in 1982, we have set up development programmes in more than 60 countries and responded to many emergencies. Today we have a budget of around 150 million euros, with 3500 employees worldwide.
The HI network is an organisation made up of a Federation (with 2 operational HQs in Lyon and Brussels), 8 national associations (Germany, Belgium, Canada, United States, France, Luxembourg, United Kingdom and Switzerland) and the HI Institute on Humanitarian Action. All these entities work concertedly to implement HI’s international aid and development mandate.
HI is engaged in an employment policy in favour of disabled workers.
For further information about the association: www.hi.org.
JOB CONTEXT :
In view of the dire humanitarian crisis taking place in Tigray, HI Ethiopia, not present in this area, has launched an initial assessment to support the definition of an operational strategy.
This assessment provided many information on the situation, access, opportunities, etc… The main conclusion is that the needs are acute, the response is not sufficient, the donors are positioning themselves, the security situation is manageable following strict protocols and the access - although very restricted - is possible. In this context, HI does have an added value in responding to this humanitarian crisis and should position itself very fast as a stakeholder in this emergency response.
Following this needs assessment, HI designed a global strategic operational framework to address the identified needs with the following pillars:
- Pillar 1 : Integrated approach between MHPSS, Protection, IHA and Functional & Physical Rehabilitation, to improve access to services and wellbeing of the conflict affected populations including the most vulnerable and persons with specific needs
- Pillar 2: Contribute to improve access and ensure delivery of assistance to the most vulnerable living in Tigray while limiting the use of logistics negative coping mechanisms.
HI is therefore mobilizing resources to open its program based on this strategy.
Under the line management of the Tigray Operations Manager, with the technical support of the MHPSS Specialist at HQ and technical MHPSS officer (to be recruited), and in close coordination with Admin, Logistics, Finance and Human Resources Departments, as MHPSS Project Manager, you contribute to the implementation of the mandate and the 10-year strategy of Humanity & Inclusion in the country. You ensure optimal quality and impact of the projects implemented in the country by means of a delegation system with appropriate control mechanisms. With all HI managers, and through paradigm changes, you share responsibility for the sound management and effective functioning of the global organisation.
As such, you will ensure efficient implementation and quality of the MHPSS project activities, including operational, HR, financial and logistical aspects of the project. You will recruit, manage and support the MHPSS technical officer and project officers (directly) as well as field teams (indirectly), ensure clear and timely reporting on activities, ongoing monitoring and evaluation, ensure internal and external coordination and, if needed participate in the development of new projects. You will as well ensure the technical support to the teams and make sur it is in line with HI’s MHPSS vision and strategy.
In this framework, your main duties will be:
1: Technical Support:
- Provide continuous technical support to MHPSS staff in field of expertise
§ Support and coordinate the provision of training to HI’s MHPSS teams through direct provision of both formal and on the job trainings and supervision
§ Design training modules and provision of capacity building to meet the needs of MHPSS team
§ Review and design technical approach, protocols and tools, trainings content and implementation, leaflets, IEC material, and other relevant documents and disseminate them among the mission upon prior validation by HQ MHPSS Specialist
- Support and guide in the development of assessments, evaluations (data analysis) and monitoring methodologies and tools.
§ Close collaborative work with the Rehabilitation PM to strengthen the comprehensive approach serving persons with injuries/disabilities
Work closely with the MHPSS Specialist and MHPSS technical Officer to identify technical challenges, propose solutions, implement and follow up on technical guidance regarding quality of activities.
Ensure through regular exchanges with HQ MHPSS Specialist that field approaches and methods are in line with HI’s global technical standards.
Support through technical inputs in project development processes.
2: Program Management
- Ensure that all project activities are implemented in coordination with Rehabilitation PM and Emergency PM following operational targets, internal quality and technical standards,
- Propose adjustment for improvements to meet the objectives in collaboration with the Operations Manager, Rehabilitation PM, Emergency PM and Technical referent at HQ level;
- Support and mentor the MHPSS technical Officer and Project Officer to supervise the teams’ implementation of project activities in the different locations
- Collaborate with MEAL team and ensure monitoring tools are used effectively by Project Officers and teams to follow the result achievements and indicators closely.
- Work closely with other consortium project staff (Emergency PM) to ensure a cohesive and collaborative MHPSS approach across the consortium project.
- Build and maintain relationships with relevant government bodies and other stakeholders to create a collaborative approach to the project implementation.
- Participate to internal coordination meetings (team meetings, base meetings, general coordination meetings)
- Contribute to the definition of the strategy of intervention and the operational modalities in Tigray region.
3: Human Resources Management
- Recruit, supervise and manage the HI operational team under direct responsibility
- Lead the recruitment and selection process for new positions in the teams under direct management, with the support of MHPSS Technical Referent at HQ level and HR
- Ensure strict application and respect of the Internal Regulations for all HI project staff
- Work closely with the Technical Unit at HQ level to provide trainings, on-job recommendations and capacity building sessions to the team when needed
- Ensure that all staff respect confidentiality and follow HI’s ethical and protection guidelines
4: Financial, administrative and logistical management
- Ensure that logistical, administrative and financial procedures linked to project implementation are followed and alert the Field coordinator if gaps are observed to take corrective actions
- Forecast and closely follow up on expenditures related to the project
- Participate in monthly budget revisions for budget under direct management
- Prepare timely purchase requests in line with the project needs
- Support required actions by the administration related to team management and supervision
- Identify logistic and admin support needs related to the project and communicate these to the relevant log/admin support person(s)
5: MEAL and Reporting management
Monitor the operational achievements and indicators, as per the logical framework and if needed, develop new monitoring tools and reporting templates for activities with the technical advisors.
Prepare the monthly situation report and PM Box for the project under direct responsibility
Coordinate and lead regular review and reporting on the activities to both field and operations coordinators in collaboration with MEAL staff.
Regular verification and correction of the activity database.
Prepare and share minutes of meetings and activity reports
6: Representation and external coordination
- At the request of the Operations Manager, represent the organization with donors, partners, local authorities and stakeholders involved in the implementation of the project
- At the request of the Operations Manager, attend and actively participate to the dedicated clusters and coordination meetings (Health sub-cluster, MHPSS working group, protection cluster etc.).
- Maintain good professional relationships with government, UN Agencies, & NGOs (national & international)
- At the request of the Operations Manager, participate in the coordination of donor and media visits
7: Participation in the development of new projects
- Participate in the development of any possible/future concept note or project proposal
- Contribute to needs assessment for new interventions
- Ensure a good understanding and general analysis of the political, security and humanitarian context in Tigray region.
- Ensure that the security tracking is respected, monitor the security context and situation on the field at any time and provide feedback to the Operations Manager and HAS Manager
YOUR PROFILE :
· You hold an advanced university degree (Master’s level or equivalent) in mental health, psychology or related fields from a recognized university or academic institute
· You have excellent knowledge of project management cycle and at least 3 years previous experience managing humanitarian projects in challenging environments
· You have at least 4 years of experience in the field of MHPSS in emergency setting
· You demonstrate experience in capacity building and training development and implementation in the field of MHPSS
· Experience in a post-crisis or emergency context within an NGO is essential
· Proven experience working collaboratively with multiple external stakeholders and internal (HI) technical support staff is an asset
· You have the ability to work under pressure and without constant supervision & have emotional capacity to work under unstable security situation
· You are reactive and flexible and you are a good team player
· You are fluent in English (oral and writing)
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE POSITION :
HI exact setup in Tigray is under development.
Shire is around 7 hours’ drive from Gonder, which is linked, to Addis by 70 minutes domestic flight. Recurrent movement are to be planned between Shire and Addis because of administrative access constraint during the first months of contract but should be reduced once work permit are secured.
In Tigray, HI plans to have an office/guest house in Shire town to cover operation in Shire town, North western and central Tigray.
Security risk are considered high in Tigray. In Shire town, the security risk related are more limited. HI security framework is currently under development and aim at mitigating identified risks.
Electricity and communication network are limited in Tigray. Communication constraint include phone and internet interruption. Nevertheless, internet remain available in Shire in other aid agencies structure for professional purpose.
At HI, the conditions offered are up to your commitment and adapted to the context of your mission. https://hi.org/en/join-the-team
12 months International contract starting from 21th, June 2021 - The position is subjected to fundings
· The international contract provides social cover adapted to your situation:**
o Unemployment insurance benefits for EU nationals**
o Pension scheme adapted to the situation of our employees: If you already have a personal pension scheme HI will contribute at the same level of your personal monthly contribution with a maximum of 272.53€/month ; If you do not have a personal pension scheme, we will open a private pension account with your contribution of 272.53€/month and a contribution of HI of the same amount**
o Medical coverage with 50% of employee contribution **
o Repatriation insurance paid by HI**
· Salary from 2448€ gross/month upon experience
· Perdiem : 472€ net/month - paid in the field
· Hardship : 500 € net/month paid with your salary
· Paid leaves : 25 days per year;
· R&R : 5 days every 6 weeks + possible transport/package support **
· Position unaccompanied
o Payment for travel costs (air ticket & visa) and transport of your personal effects (from 12 months of mission)
o Mission of more than 12 months : a child allowance of 100€ per month, per child (from the second child) paid in the field
· Housing : Collective taken in charge by HI
If you are resident in the country : local package
How to apply:
Only online by joining a CV and cover letter via the following link:
Applications will be processed on an ongoing basis, don’t wait for applying !
Only successful candidates will be contacted.