Job Title: Finance Officer
Reports to: Support Services Manager
Grade – H2
Start of Contract & Duration: Six Months
Posting date: May 11, 2021
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender-based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Finance Officer will facilitate the efficient and effective financial management of the DRC operations in Gambella field office. The Finance Officer will ensure compliance with all DRC finance and grant compliance matters in close collaboration and guidance of Support Services Manager and Area Manager.
S/He will be responsible for budgeting, financial planning, reporting and be an audit focal point at field level, for a smooth functioning of the finance, as well as assuring linkages with other departments and country wide. He will also be responsible for monthly reconciliation, monthly cash book closing and cash projection for the program for a smooth functioning of the finance operation in Gambella field office.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensures efficient financial monitoring and reporting (including monitoring expenses and revenues, reviewing and upgrading existing procedures, ensuring production of appropriate financial reports for internal and external clients)
- Signs and approve financial documents under his level of authority, limited by IDRA
- With support from the Support Services Manager in Gambella and the Finance team in Addis, ensures high quality accounting (including overseeing day to day accounting, managing the year-end audit process)
- Perform all DRC Gambella financial movements in accordance to DRC’ and donor’ rules
- Prepare and distribute monthly expenditures reports on project and program level, in supporting the program managers.
- Contributes to Master Budget inputs in collaboration with Support Services Manager
- Responsible for the monthly financial review and BFU rebooking, quarterly and annual DRC and donor reports preparation at field level, supported by Support Services Manager
- Implement financial policies and procedures according to the DRC OH and the local law.
- Establish the cash requirements, and maintain adequate cash levels and related cash controls
- Produce a bimonthly reporting and reconciliations for the field office and ensure that monthly cash books are submitted to CO on time every month
- Ensures that the Gambella field office compulsory tax, and social-security payments are made to all relevant government body
- Maintains proper filing systems of financial documents, scan and burn on CDs those monthly financial reports to be forwarded to CO.
- Maintains an electronic monthly cash book and perform daily and weekly cash reconciliation of cash book; Ensure that accounting records are kept updated, are reliable and are maintained according to DRC accounting practices;
- Manages cash balances to ensure that sufficient balances are maintained for ongoing activities, while preventing too high balances to avoid incurring high exchange rate charges.
- Update monthly staff payroll for deduction for advances, and keep track of clearing all outstanding;
- Supports payment to service providers, suppliers and contractors and clearance of advance of procurement team against a “Goods Received Note’’
- Ensures that all documents relating to financial transactions and donor contracts are properly filed in order to facilitate their retrieval and to safeguard DRC financial interest.
- Supports coordination and preparation of bi-Monthly cash requests in coordination with relevant program staff, forwarding it to CO in a timely manner.
- Reports immediately on all cases of financial mismanagement, such as theft, corruption or non-adherence to DRC financial management rules.
- Supports the production of timely and accurate encoding of all financial movements and the preparation of monthly budget monitoring reports
- Work closely with Support Services Manager in monitoring of monthly financial reports/BFU for all grants and provide feedback to the program team or the management.
- Work closely with Support Services Manager on regular budget reviews (monthly, quarterly annually)
- Line managing the finance assistants and cashiers and conduct annual performance review of the finance assistants.
- Supervise the daily cash book entries
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Experience and Technical Competencies:
- BA Degree in Accounting, finance and related fields
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in finance, preferably with an international humanitarian organization.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to work in complex and difficult circumstances.
- High level of personal initiative, analytical skills and pro-active problem solving.
- Demonstrated people’s management skills. Strong interpersonal skills and ability to develop and maintain working relationships across the organization. Be a team player
- Good knowledge of supply chain management is an advantage
- Cultural sensitivity, and commitment and understanding of the values of DRC. Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Commitment to learning and implementing organizational policies and procedures
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Proficiency in MS Office package is a must
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please note that we receive applications up to May 21, 2021.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.ngo.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/about-us/job-and-career/support-for-job-seekers.
Apply to Finance Officer