FINANCE & CONTROLLING ADVISOR
(Job Ref: SOS19/5)
Finance & Controlling Advisor
Addis Ababa or Nairobi
Director of Finance & Controlling
East and Southern Africa (ESAF)
Context of the Organization
SOS Children’s Villages International (SOS CVI) is non-governmental and nondenominational organization working with communities, partners and states to ensure that the rights of all children are fulfilled in every society. SOS CVI is a global federation working to protect and care for children who have lost parental care, or who stand at risk of losing the care. We respect all religions and cultures and work with trusted partners in places where we can contribute to social development. Everything we do is made possible through the generous support of sponsors and donors, institutional and corporate partners, and loyal friends worldwide.
Envisioning that every child belongs to a family and grows up with love, respect and security, we exist to build families for children in need, we help them shape their own futures, and we share in the development of their communities. Everything we do is guided by the firm belief that no child should grow up alone and that we need to improve care for children who are at risk, enabling them to overcome precarious conditions and to succeed in life. To achieve our mission, our strategy for the upcoming decade focuses on ensuring the best care of children, innovation, and effective collaboration with more partners. Our core values guiding who we are and what we do include courage to take action, commitment to keep our promises, trust to believe in each other, and accountability to be reliable Partners.
The purpose of the Position
This position is designed to enable transparency, accountability as well as the efficient and proper use of funds in the Federation. The holder of this position is expected to provide services to Member Associations especially policies review, tools development, consulting, training and monitoring. The position also coordinates the allocation of programmes to funding partners and co-ordinate and execute the flow of funds between these funding partners. The position is key in providing advice on financial risks of the Federation on an on-going basis, focusing on accountability in the use of resources and sustainability in the federation-wide funding model. The position facilitates provision of information relevant to management and legal bodies for controlling and decision-making and in the process ensure fiduciary compliance.
Key performance areas and main responsibilities:
Finance & Controlling Services
· Provide strategic planning support to International Director ESAF & Director of Finance & Controlling
· Participate in the development and update of financial policies and quality standards and implement these policies
· Support in the provision of financial information to donors and International office for linking of needs and allocation of funds
· Monitor Member Association´s (countries) budgeting process, check quality of budgets and monitor budget execution within the given financial frames
· Support the Member Associations to ensure that budgets are Results Based.
· Support Member Associations to have sound and strong internal control system as recommended in the international guidelines.
· Support in internal audits of Member Associations as and when required
· Review funding proposals from Member Associations in line with donor requirements
· Monitor Member Associations financial data and financial key performance indicators.
· Ensure implementation of finance related international policies, standard and guidelines in Member Associations.
· Support Member Associations in submission of quality financial information as per set deadlines and guidelines
· Monitor compliance Member Associations compliance with various donor guidelines
Treasury & Risk Management
· Support Member Associations in their liquidity planning to ensure funding is aligned to programme implementation
· Support in risk assessments and implementation of mitigation measures
· Support in Execution of foreign currency transactions
· Support Member Associations in their bank relations
Finance and Controlling Systems
· Provide first level user support for Member Associations on the SOS Controlling System LUCY & Microsoft Dynamics NAV
· Contribute to the improvement of existing finance systems
· Support in the maintenance of master data and assigning of user rights in Member Associations
· Formulate and implement training programmes based on training needs assessment for finance staff in Member Associations
· Support in Talent search and acquisition as well as on boarding processes in member Associations
· Support programme implementation through provision of training for other players in the Organisation
Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required
· Should have good knowledge and understanding of finances in the NGO Sector
· Leadership skills and ability to mold a team
· Ability to communicate effectively, listens sensitively, adapts communication to audience and fosters effective communication with others
· Good understanding of how finances interphase with Project cycle management and innovative ways to interphase programmes Budget implementation and monitoring
· A good understanding of the operating economic environment within East & Southern Africa
· A good understanding of multi-donor funding operations.
· Ability to assess and train others
Education and Experience required
· First degree in Finance or related studies combined with post graduate qualifications (ACCA/CPA/Masters).
· Over 8 years’ experience in relevant finance field 3 of which must be in a management/regional position
· Experience in dealing with multicultural set up
· Good written and spoken English & French skills is a must.
· Ability to travel frequently.
· A diverse range of interesting tasks in a leading INGO multicultural working environment
· As a responsible employer we provide a range of training schemes and encourage educational enhancement
· A salary that will be commensurate with experience and qualifications
“SOS Children’s Villages International holds strict child safeguarding principles and a zero-tolerance policy for conducts of sexual harassment, corruption, exploitation and abuse in the workplace and other places where the organization’s activities are rendered. Parallel to technical competence, recruitment, selection and hiring decisions will give due emphasis to assessing candidates value congruence and thorough background checks, police clearance reference check processes”.
How to apply:
If you believe you are the right candidate for the above position, please send your application letter, detailed curriculum vitae (CV), and photocopies of academic certificates, and names and contact details of three referees as Single Document.
Applications that are late, or do not have CV or certificates attached, will be disqualified. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. E-mail applications should bear the name and reference number of the position in the subject line of the email.
Email to: Applications including at least three traceable referees should be sent electronically to: ESAF.HROD@sos-kd.org All applications should be submitted not later than June 15th 2021**.**
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.