Action Against Hunger-USA
Action Against Hunger-USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network, which provides humanitarian relief in over 40 countries worldwide in the sectors of nutrition, health, water/sanitation, and food security.
Action Against Hunger-USA, an independent NGO, currently manages operations in 7 countries: Kenya, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Haiti, and Somalia. Action Against Hunger-USA has approximately 1,500 staff based in the various country offices, Head Quarter in New York City and Operational Centre in Nairobi. Additional growth is anticipated.
The Country Director (CD) leads the continuous strategic development and ensures growth of the Country Program. The CD integrates program and operational structure into a coherent country office. The CD represents Action Against Hunger at country level and with donors and is responsible for building the Action Against Hunger brand and reputation at country level.
The role of the Country Director is to lead development and emergency programs at national level in addition to plan the integration of sectoral initiatives into coherent programs for development consistent with the country office priorities and growth needs.
Develop relationships with, consult and represent Action Against Hunger to donors, local and national government authorities, organizational partners, and collaborators, other INGOs and the local community with that aim of creating a positive profile for the organization within the country.
The Country Director will liaise with the Action Against Hunger country, regional, HQ and network staff on strategy, programming opportunities partnerships in addition to compliance matters.
Create an effective platform for delivery of development services by aligning internal capacities with national development priorities and Action Against Huger strategic plans, build effective networks of collaboration to position Action Against Hunger as a critical partner.
Required Qualifications and Professional experience
- At least 8 years of senior program management experience.
- Minimum 10 years humanitarian work in emergency and/or development context.
- Effective negotiator, with the ability to influence cross-departmental and cross-sector working.
- Proven analytical skills and ability to think strategically, including the ability to think beyond the country program context.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to motivate and influence.
- Fluent in English (professional English needed).
- Results-driven and demonstrable ability to set and communicate goals and ensure effective and appropriate decision making and problem-solving.
- Ability to organize, mentor, engage and motivate a multicultural team.
- Strong emotional intelligence.
- Disciplined and able to work and arrive at decisions autonomously with minimal guidance.
Required Skills and Competencies
- Experience of fundraising from diverse donor institutions, especially USAID, DFID, EU.
- Advanced knowledge of donor guidelines and procedures (USAID, ECHO, EU, UNICEF, BPRM, WFP, DFID, GAC, SIDA, GFFO etc.).
- High-level financial management skills to steer the operational budget.
- Sound understanding of strategic human resource management principles, strategies, and approaches.
- Understanding of managing security and risk within an INGO context.
- Good level of IT literacy and an understanding of how new developments in technology can positively contribute to the aims of an INGO.
- Ability to manage the development of, and contribute to, the high-level analysis of the underlining factors of chronic undernutrition including socio-cultural factors.
How to apply:
Before applying, please check that you can answer yes to all the following questions:
- Do you have large-scale multi-year programming fundraising and management of funds experience inclusive of USAID and other development donors?
- Do you have experience in leading a team with over 500 employees?
- Have you been in a country or regional leadership role for over 10 years?
If you cannot answer yes to these questions, please do not apply, as we will be unable to progress your application.
If you can answer yes to all the above questions, then please visit the link https://oxfordhr.co.uk/jobs/country-director-ethiopia-2/ to download the appointment brief for more information and apply.