Value Chain in Agriculture Team Leader, Ethiopia
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with some form of disability.
The Team Leader shall have deep experience and knowledge of various aspects of livestock programme commercialization, private sector engagement; Public, private, and producers partnership (PPPP), livestock production and value chains development, market linkages, agricultural financing, and agribusiness and agricultural value chains development to promote and strengthen the Lowland Livelihoods Resilience Project (LLRP) being implemented by the Ministry of Peace and Ministry of Agriculture of Ethiopia. This position will deliver leadership and management to the LLRP IFAD Technical assistance provision project team who are based in 6 regions (Oromia, Somali, Benshangul Gumuz, SNNPR and Afar) coordinating and supporting the Ministry of Peace, IFAD, and other stakeholders to deliver high-level technical assistance as required.
The Team Leader is the national level representative of Heifer’s Ethiopia’s Technical Services Provision Project coordinating with the LLRP stakeholders and IFAD. This position will report to the Ethiopia Country Director and will be supported by the Heifer Africa Lead Economist and the Heifer Ethiopia team. This position is responsible for building strategic relationships with the Ministry of Peace and Ministry of Agriculture and IFAD. The Team Leader will work closely with the Africa Regional team and
This position will serve as Heifer’s chief brand ambassador for the LLRP IFAD TA provision project in the country representing Heifer in strategic forums to ensure Heifer carries strong brand recognition within the country as related to the project.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS CRITICAL FOR SUCCESS:
High-level knowledge and experience in private sector engagement for livestock commercialization and development, agricultural financing, agribusiness livestock value chains development in the areas of Poultry, Red meat, Live animals, Hide and Skins, and Dairy/Milk value chains development in the pastoral and agropastoral communities of the lowlands of Ethiopia.
The Team Leader requires the ability to apply a strategic mindset, business insight and organizational savvy to drive results in the livestock sector commercialization areas. Ability to collaborate, communicate effectively, instill trust and demonstrate self-awareness. Ability to build effective teams and to be resourceful. Ability to provide effective leadership and drive team spirit.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
A. Lead Project Setup and Research Phase of Technical Assistance (25%)
- Lead technical assistance team through recruitment, onboarding and supervision and provide a sense of connection and belonging to team members.
- Represent Heifer at the project launch and other events.
- Lead the development and submission of a detailed workplan.
- Collect and review secondary technical documentation relevant to LLRP’s project environment.
- Lead the assessment of current livestock production (live animals, animal products, animal health, apiculture and fishery) and marketing systems of the project areas, and potential technical and financial viability of selected livestock value chains (live animal, milk, red meat, poultry, hide and skin) through data collection and analysis through a fast but rigorous value chain research in the six target regions of LLRP.
- Analyze the research results to prepare and distribute multiple key deliverables to include: a Rapid needs assessment based on the value chain study, value chain analyses for the relevant commodities and woredas, financial analyses of animal production and marketing and animal health systems, business plan templates for animal production and marketing and animal health systems, detailed data sets ranking businesses, systems, investments and technical assistance packages to be used as a basis for trainings.
- Assess the current animal feed systems and identify opportunities for developing and or enhancing business leverage points to include Feed and Forage guidelines and Quality Standards.
- Conduct an assessment of current animal health systems to produce a compendium of improved animal health practices for the LLRP target regions.
- Develop quarterly progress reports to submit to FPMCU, RPCMUs, IFAD, WB and HPI.
B. Lead Implementation Support Phase of Technical Assistance (60%)
- Lead the design and execution of fast but rigorous value chain research in the six target regions of LLRP.
- Lead all aspects of providing technical assistance to the national and regional LLRP project staff.
- Develop training packages and training for the national and regional LLRP project staff on selected development models.
- Formulate and pilot innovative approaches, technologies and business models relevant to the LLRP project.
- Foster and promote 12 effective Public-Private-Producer Partnerships (4P) linkages for commercialization of Pastoralists and Agro-pastoralists (PAP) livestock production that serves as models for replication within commercial livestock value chains.
C. Lead Implementation Support Phase of Technical Assistance
- Lead the development of Feed and Forage Guidelines, Quality Standards, and a compendium of improved Animal Health Practices.
- Assess the opportunity to establish Livestock and market co-management arrangement of public and private partnerships that enhance effectiveness through a livestock market concept feasibility study.
- Pilot innovative market arrangements like livestock auction in PAP areas and produce an auction concept paper.
- Train and coach local extension and Das, cooperatives and PAP communities/entrepreneurs on managing production, accessing markets and services.
- Identify and innovative solutions on products, services and business models regarding animal health, animal feed and livestock development and marketing.
- Develop quarterly progress reports to submit to FPMCU, RPCMUs, IFAD, WB and HPI
- Provide supervision and coaching of Technical Assistance team and provide a sense of connection and belonging to team members.
- Document and share learnings to LLRP stakeholders.
- Provide sound operational and fiscal management to the project.
D. Knowledge Management and Sharing (10%)
- Share best practices and lessons learned with stakeholders including other Heifer country and signature programs through papers, lunch and learns, and other avenues.
- Build capacity of Heifer’s internal stakeholders
E. May perform other job-related duties as assigned (5%)
Master’s Degree from a recognized university or equivalent in Agriculture Science, Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics, or a related field, plus 10 - 15 years of relevant experience with at least five (5) years in a supervisory capacity. Fluent in English, both spoken and written.
- PhD from a recognized university in Agriculture Science, Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics, or a related field
- Demonstrated knowledge of major funders such as IFAD, World Bank and Governments across Africa. Experience of USAID, DFID, AFDB, FAO, etc.
- Proven professional experience & results in agribusiness/livestock commercialization/agribusiness/value chains development/agricultural financing/community development.
Most Critical Proficiencies
- Proven knowledge of new business development strategies
- Inspires and motivates others to act.
- Aligns resources to accomplish key objectives and assigns clear accountability for important objectives. Achieves meaningful accomplishments.
- Ability to support differences of opinion, and help individuals resolve conflict in a constructive manner.
- Proven experience in development actions under the following or related themes: Food Security and Nutrition, Environment, Women and Youth Empowerment
- Excellent analytical and writing skills.
- Excellent networking and negotiation skills
- Public speaking skills
- Skills with Microsoft Office package, internet browser, and other appropriate technology
- Good understanding of and sensitivity to poverty, social and ethnic issues
- Understand the importance of traditional customs to the various ethnic issues.
- An excellent team player with the ability to work with diverse cultural groups.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands
- Motivated to work responsibly with little supervision.
- Demonstrate a high degree of honesty and integrity.
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues and the stakeholders and others
- Constant sitting, standing, and walking, with occasional bending and lifting; may work at a computer for extended periods of time.
- Occasional lifting and carrying of up to 30 pounds (14 kilograms) floor to waist.
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively, both locally and internationally
- Ability to meet and deal with others in a courteous and tactful manner.
- Working with sensitive information and always maintaining confidentiality.
How to apply:
Please submit your application here: https://jobs.jobvite.com/heifer/job/ozw7efwa