Senior Prosecutions and Policing Expert
Position: Senior Prosecutions and Policing Expert *
Employer: Justice Education Society of British Columbia (JES)
Status: Full-time (approx. 880 days)
Application Deadline: April 23rd, 2021 at 12:00 pm (PST)
Start Date: TBD – conditional upon funding
* This position is contingent upon the contract award.
JUSTICE EDUCATION SOCIETY (JES)
The Justice Education Society of British Columbia (JES) is a non-profit organization with over 30 years of experience providing public legal education and justice system capacity building in Canada and overseas. In Canada, JES helps more than 700,000 British Columbians learn about our justice system and address their legal issues. Internationally, JES has programs in Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Panama and Guyana which work with national institutions to strengthen justice systems, access to justice and citizen security. JES has offices in Canada, Guatemala, Honduras and Guyana and diverse sources of funding including donors and provincial, federal and overseas governments. More information on JES is available at: www.JusticeEducation.ca.
JES is seeking an experienced and qualified Senior prosecutions and policing expert for the anticipated European Commission-funded project, Support to Criminal Justice Reform in Ethiopia.
The purpose of this project is to support the Government of Ethiopia in its efforts to reform the criminal justice system in Ethiopia through the provision of ongoing technical assistance, advice and support to key institutions involved in the reforms and to ensure increased access to justice for all.
The project has three objectives:
1. Enhanced horizontal and vertical coordination, collaboration and cooperation between key criminal justice institutions.
This will be achieved by increasing capacity of justice institutions at Federal level (particularly the Federal AG Office and Federal Supreme Court) and Regions to jointly strategically plan, budget, implement and monitor reform activities. In addition, a dedicated programme website and internal knowledge management platform will be established and regularly updated.
2. Increased effectiveness, efficiency, fairness and accountability of the criminal justice system.
This will be achieved through the compliance and implementation of new approaches, rules and procedures in Criminal Procedure Code, and by increasing capacity of Police and Prosecutors to conduct criminal investigations and collect, analyse and use forensic evidence in criminal trials. Juvenile justice policy / legislation as well as gender equity and equality policies will be drafted and adopted. In addition, an electronic case management system will be established and integrated IT system will be strengthened
3. Improved access to justice for all, in particular the poor, women and other groups in vulnerable situations.
This will be achieved by establishing legal aid coordination mechanism, including legislation, and increasing capacity of Public Defenders, NGOs and university legal aid clinics to provide legal aid and assistance to defendants and victims of crime (particularly women and child victims).
The Senior prosecutions and policing expert has a crucial role in implementing the programme:
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Day-to-day implementation and management of the entire programme.
- Providing ongoing technical advice and assistance to all programme beneficiaries, including but not limited to legal advice and assistance, research, monitoring and evaluation assistance, financial management assistance, and capacity development activities such as training, mentoring / coaching and hand-holding.
- Managing a short-term expert facility to provide ongoing short-term expertise (in addition to that provided by the members of the TAU) as required by programme partners and approved by the Programme Steering Committee (PSC).
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
- Degree in law, policing, human rights or related field. Post-graduate degree in relevant field would be an advantage.
General Professional experience
- At least 10 years' experience in criminal justice / justice sector / policing reform.
- Experience in aid delivery methods and in implementation of international cooperation projects/programmes.
- Demonstrated cross-cultural sensitivity; interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills.
- Computer literacy, excellent report writing skills and ability to produce quality documents.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Experience in Africa is a requirement. Specific experience in Ethiopia would be considered an advantage.
Specific professional experience
- Previous experience as a prosecutor or senior member of a police service is required. Specific experience in Sub-Saharan Africa will be an advantage.
- Practical experience in designing and delivering capacity development activities for police and/or prosecutors.
- Demonstrated experience in prosecution-led criminal investigation.
- Demonstrated experience in the use of forensic evidence in criminal investigation and prosecution.
- Demonstrated experience in the gender and rights-based approach, notably in the field of governance, rule of law and justice.
How to apply:
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and curriculum vitae to the following address: email@example.com. Please indicate “Senior prosecutions and policing expert” in the subject line.
Deadline for reception of applications: April 23rd, 2021 at 12:00 pm (PST)
We thank all candidates for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted with shortlisted candidates during the week of April 26th.