Senior Monitoring And Evaluation Officer
Terms of Reference
Reporting to the Director of Peace and Security, the incumbent will have the overall responsibility of leading and coordinating M&E activities of the Division.He/She will closely liaise with the M&E Team at the IGAD Secretariat in Djibouti, M&E Working Group and M&E expertwithin the different Units and the ADA team.
To strengthen the result based reporting mechanism of the Peace and Security programs and offices through a proper follow up system at the level of the Division.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
IGAD’s Peace and Security Division (PSD), intends to recruit a Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) expert to provide a proper follow up of the implementation of the peace and secuirty strategy and related intervention areas.
The expert would establish a comprehensive and results-based monitoring and evaluation mechanism that is appropriate for the process-oriented programs and in complementarity with IGAD’s overall M&E functions. In doing so, the expert, in a timely manner, capture, analyze and report on the impacts and results of IGAD’s overall Peace & Security efforts from both a national and regional perspective and thereby regularly provide reports to the IGAD management and Development Partners. The M&E mechanism will have to document lessons learned to better guide future interventions. Furthermore, there is also a strong need to develop an M&E mechanism that responds to the demands of a dynamic donor and funding environment. This will entail on-going follow up with Development Partners and strengthening reporting mechanisms.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design a Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E)mechanism for IGAD’s Peace and Security Division, in collaboration with the IGAD Secretariat-based Project Preparation and Management Unit (PPMU);
- Interact with theCoordinators and Programme Managers of IGAD’s Peace and Security Programmes (i.e. Early Warning, Mediation, Security Sector, and Offices of Preventive Diplomacy) in identifying technical challenges and presenting recommendations for the effective implementation of planned activities;
- Closely work with and assist Coordinators and Programme Managersin planning, programming and budget preparations and assist in consolidating work plans in line with IGAD’s Operational Plans for close monitoring and reporting;
- Interact with other thematic leads in the organization and identify complementarities in peace and security efforts and propose mechanismsfor interlinked actions;
- Review and identify gaps in linking regional programs to national Peace and Security efforts;
- Follow up on the implementation and reporting of planned activities and results both at the Divisional and Programme Level;
- Produce the Division’s annual progress report and submit to the IGAD Secretariat and partners.
- Assist in clearly identifying, programming and integrating the Division’s Peace and Security interventionsinto IGAD’s Overall Regional Strategy and Implementation Plan 2021-2025 and in developing yearly targets.
- Closely work with the Team of the Division and relevant Finance officers to ensure the alignment of activities and targets with resources utilization and mobilization;
- Assist in monitoringand reporting on the utilization of overall program resources as per the evaluation criteria (i.e.effectiveness, efficiency, sustainability, impact);
- Document and analyze the impact of lessons learnt from various interventions;
- Coordinate and assist the monitoring and evaluation activities with other M&E officers at the Divisional level;
- Participate in and assist with the functions of IGAD’s M&E Working Group as needed.
- Undertake other duties when assigned by the Director of Peace and Security as required and needed.
Technical Competencies Required
- Strong technical expertise in Monitoring & Evaluation, Project Cycle Management and Performance-based reporting;
- Ability to work and deliver expectations with limited/little supervision;
- Excellent and demonstrated reporting, presentation, communication and analytical skills;
- Demonstrated experience in Strategic Planning and Programming;
Qualifications and Experience Required
- Minimum of a master’s-level degree in Social Sciences (ie. Economic, International Development, Peace & Security, Humanitarian Affairs);
- At least three years experience in the monitoring and evaluation of similar programmes/intervention in the region or continent;
- Demonstrable experience in the reporting to Development Partners;
- Professional Qualifications in Monitoring and Evaluation and Project Cycle Management would be an asset; and
- Excellent Proficient English is required,
Duty location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Terms of Contract: this contract is for a –Six month period of time.
Starting date Immediately
How to apply:
To apply, please submit by email only with the subject ‘‘Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Officer’’ a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and the names, addresses (mailing and email addresses) of three references by 22 April 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org