Senior MEAL Officer
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Salary: As per Oxfam benefit package
Internal Grade: D1, National
Job Family: Programme
Contract type: Fixed-Term contract for 12 months with possible extension .
Hours of work: 37.5 hours per week. This is a full-time role; however, Oxfam offers various flexible arrangements which candidates can discuss with the Recruiting Manager at interview stage
This role reports to: Program Quality and Learning Manager
Staff reporting to this post: None
Annual budget for the post: N/A
Work closely with Oxfam Program teams including program quality and leaning team at Addis Ababa level, different partner with internal and external stakeholders at all levels
All successful candidates will be screened through Refinitiv World-Check One to comply with counter terrorism and financial sanctions regulations.
Should you be successful and not already employed by Oxfam GB, we will require minimum of two references covering five years of employment history.
Specific duties include, but not limited to:
MEAL system Development and make functional
· Support Oxfam Ethiopia programmes, projects and consortium members in the development of a program Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning (MEAL) framework with indicators for output, outcome and impact and, support the development of a strategy that informs effective programme delivery by relevant program staffs at all levels.
· Provide MEAL technical support including MEAL activity plan, methodological design, need assessments, baseline, post distribution monitoring, evaluations and performance data collection for all Oxfam projects.
· Work closely with Addis Ababa Program quality and Learning/MEAL team and develop MEAL tools and MEAL activities for new projects and programs.
· Timely plan, initiate, lead and coordinate different evaluations, assessments and surveys including KAP surveys/PDMs and Baseline/End line surveys in line with Oxfam Policies and standards.
· Support the design and development of innovative tools, apps, templates and resources for effective programme monitoring and reporting.
· In consultation with Program Manager, MEAL team, EFSL, WASH, Gender and Protection technical team leaders and other program team, develop evaluation design, including specification of the necessary staff and resources to conduct the evaluation.
· Monitor supervise and coordinate baselines, assessment, evaluations and select and recruit experience enumerators for data collection.
Manage, coordinate and strengthen the data management, data analysis, reporting and information use system of projects
· Compile and review different internal reports, including monthly humanitarian programme progress report, Oxfam Annual output reporting, annual ChSA report, etc and submit to the Program Quality and Manager.
· Support the programme Quality and Learning Manager in preparing donor reports, monthly, quarter and other periodic reports in line with the reporting schedule and MEAL Framework.
· Support the PQL team members in developing/reviewing log frame/result framework, MEAL plan and Indicator Performance Reporting Table (IPTT) of the project(s) and preparing & submit the IPTT report monthly.
· Support the Consortium members MEAL teams in compiling & reporting total number of beneficiaries reached as per their respective guidelines.
· Work with the Consortium members MEAL team in documenting best practices in line with the ECHO communication and visibility guidelines
· Work closely with all MEAL team at all levels and establish and implement digital and offline database system
· Lead and supervise field data collection, data cleaning and analysis for program managers and team leaders and produce report together with sector technical team.
· Review, revise and update all survey and evaluation reports and ensure data quality including timeliness, relevance, accuracy, completeness and consistency of all program and project data of Oxfam.
· Review and standardize data collectors training to ensure high quality data collection
· Management and updating central database of KAP surveys end-term results and learning from reflection workshops, learning reviews and evaluations
Capacity Building, Networking and Representation
· Participate in the selection and recruitment of MEAL officers and MEAL Assistant and train field MEAL team on Oxfam CAMSA, MEAL frameworks, tools, data collection, analysis and reporting.
· In consultation and collaboration with PQL Manager and other MEAL team assist to build capacity of staff through training to ensure adoption of new data monitoring tools and quality of data collected.
· Attending Coordination forums that includes humanitarian accountability
Essential - Experience, Knowledge, Qualifications & Competencies
· Relevant qualification; MSc or BSc. in Economics, Development studies, Statistics/Management or another related field
· Proven ability & experience in programme monitoring, evaluation, accountability & learning (MEAL) – Minimum 5 years preferably in long term, humanitarian, advocacy and campaign programmes and local contexts in Ethiopia
· Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills.
· Knowledge and practice of SAFE programming and international standards like Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS), SPHERE, LEGS etc
· Excellent computer skills and ability to work in a challenging and dynamic context
· Excellent English writing skills
· Fluent English language, ability to communicate in Local language would be an added advantage
· Commitment to overcome poverty and suffering.
· Proven experience in gender analysis and integrating gender and safe programming(protection) into programmes;
· Ability to work well under pressure and in response to changing needs.
· Ability to travel and to work in difficult circumstances.
· Fluency in English is essential
· Experience of working effectively within a large international agency including, in long term and Emergency response setting.
· Research background and knowledge of statistical packages (SPSS or STATA)
· Good understanding of WASH, Protection and EFSVL programming in programming
· Prior experience training/accompanying/learning in the field.
· Experience leading strategy development and implementation monitoring in collaboration with staff
· Proven ability to synthesize and distil information from a variety of sources, to draw lessons from project documentation
· Applicant with knowledge of local language is preferable.
Your commitment to Oxfam
· Understanding of and commitment to adhere to equity, diversity, gender, child safety and staff health and wellbeing principles
· Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to cultural differences and gender issues, as well as the commitment to equal opportunities.
· Ability to demonstrate an openness and willingness to learn about the application of gender/gender mainstreaming, women’s rights, and diversity for all aspects of development work.
· Commitment to Oxfam’s safeguarding policies to ensure all people who come into contact with Oxfam are as safe as possible.
· Accountability – Our purpose-driven, results-focused approach means we take responsibility for our actions and hold ourselves accountable. We believe that others should also be held accountable for their actions.
· Empowerment – Our approach means that everyone involved with Oxfam, from our staff and supporters to people living in poverty, should feel they can make change happen.
· Inclusiveness – We are open to everyone and embrace diversity. We believe everyone has a contribution to make, regardless of visible and invisible differences. Note to candidates: Shortlisted candidates will be assessed on our organisational values and attributes at the interview stage. The successful candidate(s) will be expected to adhere to our code of conduct. We encourage candidates to read and understand our code of conduct here
· Facilitate capacity building for oxfam program staffs to enable them monitor and evaluate their own efforts, gather relevant data and produce required progress reports
· Provide Technical support and training on MEAL to partners’ MEAL officers (s) and Staff with support from their respective MEAL managers.
· Ensure effective common understanding between Oxfam,other partners and Consortium members on MEAL objectives and frameworks and organise orientation / workshops / training
· Support Oxfam and other partners and Consortium members MEAL in undertaking trainings needs assessment and organizing MEAL trainings/Inductions as per the CAMSA gideline.
· Lead the current projects MEAL Technical Working Group (TWG) and follow up the MEAL activities that need to be undertaken at consortium level.
Program Quality, Learning and Accountability
· Work closely with Program Quality and Learning Manager, MEAL officers and implement beneficiary compliance and feedback mechanism, collect beneficiary complaints and feedback and communicate with field team.
· Collect and share monthly monitoring and accountability reports
· Assist Program Quality and Learning Manager and co-facilitate quarterly after-action review including learning and reflection events, stakeholder consultation and proved feedback to program management team.
· Support the team in the delivery of learning and reflection workshops and other programmatic learning processes and products
· Collecting best practices, case studies which demonstrate qualitative and quantitative changes over the period.
· Support the setup of a complaint and response mechanism based on the IDPs and host community contexts,
· Assure that ICT is used in Beneficiary registration and Data collection in line with the Project MEAL framework.
· Support robust data collection, storage and dissemination for wider learning across teams (intranet, communities-of-practice, mobile-based application, M&E management information system and e-learning platforms)
· Promote the usage of current tools and services for collecting and monitoring data of programmes using Management Information System, quality programming framework with existing indicators, trackers and targets;
· Promote and support monitoring, analysis and learning from assessments of internal standards (Quality Framework) and Core Humanitarian Standards, accountability and transparency standards, protection minimum standards, and others;
· Work with the responsible progrmme or project teams to develop a culture of programme quality and knowledge-driven programming, providing support to management for evidence-based decision-making processes.
· Facilitate the input of all relevant teams and staff members into programme design process.
· Lead the implementation of the complaints and response mechanism in the area and support capacity building in line with the accountability action plan.
· Support all programme members internal reporting and ensure that good quality data is presented for report writing including donor reports.
· Ensure that all MEAL work is carried out in a way that is sensitive to gender and protection issues.
· Maintaining evaluation, research and learning repositories
· Liaising with all other staff and actors in Oxfam’s operation for improved coordination and learning;
· Ensuring that Oxfam programmes are implemented in a consultative, participative and gender sensitive way
· Undertaking any other reasonable duty and tasks that may from time to time be requested by line manager and team members consistent with the nature of the job and level of responsibility
· Other duties as assigned by the Program Manager, and the Program Quality & Learning Manager
· Understanding of and commitment to adhere to equity, diversity, gender, child safety and staff safety health and wellbeing principles.
· The post holder expected to be familiar with and abide by the Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS), NGO/Red Cross Code of Conduct, the People in Aid Code, Oxfam International procedures and other regulatory codes (e.g. InterAction Field Co-operation Protocol; including safeguarding.
· Depending on the situation, the post holder may be asked to perform other tasks as requested by the Manager.
How to apply:
As part of your online application, please upload your up to date CV and a covering letter explaining your suitability against the essential criteria in the job profile through Oxfam application portal https://jobs.oxfam.org.uk/vacancy/13800/description on or before 15 April 2021. Your application will be shortlisted based on your CV and your responses to the above questions. You need not comment on your suitability against the essential criteria in the job profile.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.