Head of Communications and Media
The Head of Communciations and Media is responsible for leading strategic comunciations for projects and the organization and serves as the official spokesperson for Save the Children Ethiopia country office.
Planning and Implementation of a CO communications strategy
· Works with the key CO staff, regional office staff, and others to flesh out and implement the country office’s internal and external communication strategy and guidelines.
· Develop and rollout a specific, time-bound plan of the internal and external communications strategy
· Monitor the progress of the implementation of the communications strategies and adapt it to new opportunities
· Develop and roll out annual communication and media plan for the CO with/through the involvement of relevant managers.
External Communications and Media
· Develop external communications and media strategies/guidelines to guide the engagement of SCI Ethiopia Country office with the media and general public**
· Ensure that all media messages and engagements are developed to the highest level of quality and timeliness and then approved by the Country Director**
· Identify media topics, prepare media messages, assess appropriate media channels for communicating those messages and facilitate the process of disseminating/communicating those messages **
· Develop guidelines and monitor the quality of external events**
· Establish proactive and beneficial relationship with media houses that can help in advancing Save the Children’s strategic priorities in Ethiopia**
· Familiarise himself/herself with the work of SCI in Ethiopia to effectively represent the organisation in media engagements where relevant **
· Ensure the quality of all materials and products that will be produced and sahred with external stakeholders/audiences**
· Work closely with relevant program or functional leaders of the country office in identifying, producing, organising and dissiminating/communicating on the works of the country office/programs to external stakeholders **
· Ensure adequate budgeting and planning for external events **
· Develop internal communications strategies and guidelines that follow SCI global guidelines and good practices**
· Ensure the production of standard communications materials and services regarding CO programs through the application and application of of minimum standards**
· Ensure the production and dissemination of periodic communication materials such as leaflets, updates, stories of success etc. by working with relevant program/function leads CO **
· Ensure appropriate communications materials are communicated through appropriate channels including messages to staff, the web-site, project briefs, and other channels**
· Develop and oversee implement a strategy for communications among CO staff
· Ensure that cross cutting themes like child participation, gender, disability are mainstreamed in all media and communications work
· Identify communications capacity gaps of SCI Ethiopia Country Office and its partners and work to ensure they are improved
· Develop and implement communications capacity building plan in general with particular focus on identifying, planning and implementing communication initiatives, methods and skills of documenting and communicating lessons and good practices
· Build staff capacity in developing and implementing community level communication initiatives
· Build capacity of key staff at all levels to ensure they are able to be effective ambassadors for SCI work in Ethiopia
· Ensure key staff have media training
Staff and budget management
· Lead and manage the communication team and their reports.
· Work with the program development unit, projects, and the Finance and Awards Departments to ensure that all positions are budgeted within awards
· Oversee that all direct staff proactively build and maintain technical skills and competencies required for leading their communications responsibilities
· Manage the performance of the Communication Team through:
o Effective use of the Performance Management System including the establishment of clear, measureable objectives, provision of ongoing feedback, periodic reviews and fair and unbiased performance evaluations;
o Coaching, mentoring and accessing capacity development opportunities;
o Recognition and rewards for outstanding performance;
· Support the development of an organisational culture that reflects our dual mandate values, promotes accountability and high performance, encourages a team culture of learning, creativity and innovation, and frees up our people to deliver outstanding results for children and excellent customer service for our members and donors.
· Identify succession plans and team members with high capacity for future promotion.
· Manage the budget of the communications unit with the eventual objective of managing most/all project communications budgets to provide comprehensive communications services for projects.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
§ Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
§ Holds suppliers accountable to deliver on their responsibilities
§ Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and takes responsibility for their own personal development
§ Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
§ Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale
§ Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to; builds and maintains effective relationships with colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
§ Values diversity and different people’s perspectives, able to work cross-culturally.
§ Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
§ Cuts away bureaucracy and encourages an entrepreneurial approach
§ Honest, encourages openness and transparency, builds trust and confidence
§ Displays consistent excellent judgement**
In order to be successful you should bring/have:
· At least twelve years of experience in leading communications teams/initiatives
· Degree in social science, human rights, development, international relations, journalism/mass communication.
· Masters or post graduate degree in communications and media preferred
· Knowledge of and/or direct work experience in the non-profit sector
· Experience in developing and implementing communications improvement strategies
· Personnel and budget management experience
· Excellent representational skills with a proven track record of influencing key audiences
· Demonstrated ability to think strategically, to analyze complex information and offer creative, practical and effective solutions
· Excellent influencing and negotiation skills, including an ability to deal with people at all levels with credibility, tact, and diplomacy
· Excellent written and verbal communications skills, and an ability to produce good quality documents, information for a variety of audiences and communicate good practices
· Competencies in utilizing technological solutions for communication
· Strong inter-organisational skill such as networking, negotiation and communication.
· Willing and able to travel time to support field teams as security permits
· Ability to produce high-quality communications products and services under tight deadlines
· Excellent English skills, both verbal and written, required.
· Commitment to Save the Children International values.
We offer a competitive package in the context of the sector. The duty station of the position holder will be in Addis Ababa . This role is offered on the basis of national terms and conditions only.
How to apply:
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants who meet the MINIMUM requirements should apply using the below link: https://stcuk.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobsearch.ftl
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.