Operations Manager Tigray - ETHIOPIA
Place: ETHIOPIA (Tigray)
Starting date: ASAP (as soon as the funding are confirmed)
Length: 6 months
Closing date for applications: 11/04/2021
“Outraged by the injustice faced by people with disabilities and vulnerable populations, we aspire to a world of solidarity and inclusion, enriched by our differences, where everyone can live in dignity”
Humanity & Inclusion (HI) is an independent and impartial aid and development organisation with no religious or political affiliations operating in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside people with disabilities and vulnerable people to help meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
Since the organisation was first founded in 1982, we have set up development programmes in more than 60 countries and responded to many emergencies. Today we have a budget of around 150 million euros, with 3500 employees worldwide.
HI is engaged in an employment policy in favour of disabled workers.
For further information about the association: www.hi.org.
JOB CONTEXT :
In view of the dire humanitarian crisis taking place in Tigray, HI Ethiopia, not present in this area, has launched an initial assessment to support the definition of an operational strategy. Based on the assessment initial results, the Operations Manager Tigray will establish HI presence in the Region in constant link with the Humanitarian Access and Security Manager and the Program Director. Based on the initial assessments, the Operations Manager Tigray will develop and submit project proposals and support and/or ensure liaison & negotiations with donors. This will be done in parallel to fine-tune of operational strategy, in terms of operations strategy, access strategy and sizing of deployment. The Operations Manager Tigray will continue the external liaison and coordination with stakeholders (UN, ONGI, local organizations, authorities) present in Tigray in order to keep updated context analysis, access & risk analysis and to identify and develop operational opportunities of collaboration & synergies. If fundraising is successful, the Operations Manager will kick off the implementation of HI in Tigray, including establishment of office and launch of projects.
Under the responsibility of the Program Director, the Operations Manager for Tigray contributes within the area where he/she is based to the implementation of the mandate and the 10-year strategy of Humanity & Inclusion. He/she ensures optimal quality and impact of the projects implemented in the area, through a delegation system with appropriate control mechanisms. He/she shares with all HI managers the responsibility of a sound management and successful functioning of the global organization, through paradigm changes.
Specifically, the Operations Manager for Tigray region will establish HI and promote its mandate in this new area of intervention in a very volatile context. His/her objectives include external liaison, fundraising, project proposal development, need assessments and project launch (operations, log, HR, etc.)
• The Operations Manager is responsible for developing and implementing, in the area where he/she is based, the projects part of the Program operational strategy. Especially, the Operations Manager Tigray will focus on project and proposal development, in line with the operational strategy.
• He/she contributes to monitor and analyses context developments in his/her geographical area, in order to identify operational risks and opportunities, and proposes actions to his/her line management. Especially, the Operations Manager Tigray will ensure regular update of risk & access analysis in order to develop and update adequate mitigation measures/strategy
• He/she ensures relevant and active external liaison with external stakeholders, including donors, INGOs, NGOs, local organization, coordination platforms, clusters, etc. promoting HI mandate and string partnership opportunities
• Under the guidance of his/her line management and other relevant departments (most especially Technical Unit, Shared Services, MEAL), he/she launches any new project in compliance with HI policies and frameworks (in particular HI Project Monitoring & Evaluation policy), and the respect of contractual obligations towards donors.
YOUR PROFILE :
• You hold a degree in a field related to the job such as humanitarian action, political science, Middle East studies, international relationships…
• You have at least 3 years of professional experience in project and base management in challenging humanitarian contexts. Previous experience in the country or within the region is an asset
• You have experience in emergency response. Previous experience in base opening is a strong asset.
• You have proven managerial and representation experience.
• You have excellent communication skills as well as strong writing and reporting skills.
• You demonstrate good adaptability and interpersonal skills.
• You are autonomous and proactive.
• You are able to work under pressure.
• Oral and written English is mandatory.
At HI, the conditions offered are up to your commitment and adapted to the context of your mission. Particular attention is paid to health issues and your personal situation.
We offer an induction and training path adapted to our staff members and we have a HR policy oriented toward mobility and professional development.
· 6 months International contract (starting date to be confirmed as soon as funding is confirmed)
· The international contract provides social cover adapted to your situation:
o Unemployment insurance benefits for EU nationals
o Pension scheme adapted to the situation of our employees: If you already have a personal pension scheme HI will contribute at the same level of your personal monthly contribution with a maximum of 272.53€/month ; If you do not have a personal pension scheme, we will open a private pension account with your contribution of 272.53€/month and a contribution of HI of the same amount
o Medical coverage with 50% of employee contribution
o Repatriation insurance paid by HI
· Salary from 2750 € gross/month upon experience
· Perdiem : 502 € net/month - paid in the field
· Hardship : 500 € net/month paid with your salary
· Paid leaves : 25 days per year;
· R&R : 5 days every 6 weeks => + possible transport/package support.
· Position: unaccompanied
§ Payment for travel costs (air ticket & visa) and transport of your personal effects (from 12 months of mission)
§ Mission of more than 12 months : a child allowance of 100€ per month, per child (from the second child) paid in the field
· Housing : Collective taken in charge by HI**
If you are resident in the country : local package
How to apply:
Only online by joining a CV and cover letter via the following link:
Applications will be processed on an ongoing basis, don’t wait for applying !
Only successful candidates will be contacted.