Media and Communications Specialist (Ethiopian National Position)
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee. We work in crises across 31 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights. NORCAP, our global provider of expertise, helps improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises. NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
Employment with NRC may lead to employment in or deployment to Regions, Countries, Areas or Offices that may be host to considerable health, safety and security risks. NRC takes this very seriously and we have procedures in place to reduce known risks, but will never be able to take away all risks.
NRC in Ethiopia is recruiting a Media and Communication Specialist who will ensure the country office is able to effectively use media and communication for programme delivery, advocacy and visibility.
- Responsible for adherence to relevant NRC policies, guidance and procedures.
- Develop country advocacy strategy and ensure that objectives from NRC Global Advocacy Strategy are reflected.
- Provide technical support to the development and implementation of country specific advocacy strategies working together with the Area Offices and in line with the overall country strategy.
- Responsible for monitoring and analysis of the humanitarian situation and protection concerns in the region, emerging trends and displacement patterns
- Accountable for drafting advocacy products such as briefing notes, position papers, talking points, press releases and reports.
- Support and train programme staff in the planning and implementation of advocacy and communication activities (i.e. within core activities) and the production of relevant material.
- Establish and strengthen strategic advocacy networks and alliances
- Develop and build partnerships with media- print, electronic (social media and traditional) at local and national level.
- Promote, advocate and raise awareness around NRC’s activities, results, initiatives through a variety of communication vehicles (online platforms, use of photos, infographics, etc.).
- Responsible for a management culture, a working and learning environment in line with NRC's values and leadership/management
- Five years’ work experience as a press/communication officer or journalist in relation to development cooperation/humanitarian emergencies.
- BA/MA in Public Relations, Journalism or other related studies
- Experience in producing varied communications materials, including film (shooting and editing), audio, photography, fact sheets, maps, infographics, animations, copy editing and archiving.Knowledge of relevant thematic areas (Humanitarian Sector/ Refugees/ Displacement)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Amharic
- Experience in developing and using a variety of social media platforms
- You have a good understanding of the Ethiopia context
- You are a natural networker with substantial experience of building relationships.
- Graduate degree in directly related field, such as Journalism or Communications.
- Knowledge of the political situation in Ethiopia and the East Africa Region Political and cultural awareness
Ability in finding new creative media angles and platforms to present communications work is an asset for this role; please illustrate this in your application.
What We Offer
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- 24 months fixed term contract
- Grade 9 in NRC's grade structure
Internal candidates are encouraged to apply, but we are also open to external applicants who can show a commitment to NRC and being part of a challenging, but important mission to make a difference in Ethiopia.
To apply as an internal candidate, remember to click on the suitcase icon “I am an employee” on the top right of the page to be redirected to NRC’s internal career site
How to apply:
Please apply through this link