Action Against Hunger-USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network, which provides humanitarian relief in over 40 countries worldwide in the sectors of nutrition, health, water/sanitation, and food security. Action Against Hunger-USA, an independent NGO, currently manages operations in 7 countries: Ethiopia, Haiti, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda and Action Against Hunger-USA has over $60 million in programs, and approximately 1,600 permanent staff based in New York City, Washington D.C, Nairobi, and country offices. Additional growth is anticipated.
Summary of position
Action Against Hunger in Ethiopia is looking for a seasoned and results-oriented Field Coordinator to lead and expand our field operations and program response in Tigray Region. This is an operational position that requires extensive past experience in emergency programming in armed conflicts.
To lead the program implementation across a related project and provide professional advice within defined program areas.
The Field coordinator will have regular communication and coordination with program managers. The person closely works and collaborates with the Program Director, Country Humanitarian Coordinator, Emergency Response Manager, Waghimra Field Coordinator and other senior team members.
Externally, the field coordinator works closely with the other member organizations, woreda, zonal, regional and national government offices, local NGO, CSOs/CBOs and the targeted communities and build effective network with local agencies and INGOS.
Build a credible program reputation through the delivery of complex and high program activities that address the need of beneficiaries and demonstrate organizational capacity substantively and operationally.
KEY ACTIVITIES IN YOUR ROLE WILL INCLUDE:
- With the support local Program Managers and the Technical Advisers in Action Against Hunger, participate and contribute to the development of new projects including feasibility, draft of concept notes and Logical Framework Approach.
- Lead field access negotiations with civilian administration, military forces and UAGs on the ground, build acceptance among local communities and develop a relationship of trust with local actors.
- Perform daily security management of all field teams out of Abi Adi town and in direct coordination with the local FC, Director of Operations and develop context-specific SOPs.
- Lead the daily work of the emergency response teams, draft weekly work plans, set short term objectives and ensure staff performance.
- Scale-up Health, Nutrition, WASH, NFI distribution and Protection activities in line with approved UNICEF, IOM, SWAN, SIDA and CIAA proposals.
- Ensure that field implementation is based on verifiable needs and observe the highest standards in line with the principles of neutrality and impartiality.
- Coordinate the recruitment and assembly of culturally appropriate response teams including support and program staff.
- Perform project management duties as needed including Budget Follow Ups (BFUs), Activity Progress Reports (APRs), Procurement Follow Ups (BFUs) in collaboration with the DC.
- Manage the Central and Southeastern Tigray field staff including the Deputy FC, organize the common Guesthouse in Abi Adi and make sure all staff respect AAH’s Code of Conduct and Charter of Principles.
- Actively participate in the identification and opening of new field offices compliant with our Minimum Security Standards
- Coordinate the procurement or transportation of humanitarian supplies in collaboration with the Head of the Logistics Department and ensure that last mile deliveries takes place in a safe, transparent and accountable way.
- Brief the Country Director on context-related issues with a focus on Protection of Civilians, IHL violations, GBV concerns
DOES THIS DESCRIPTION FIT YOU?
You’re an experienced humanitarian professional
- You have a Master's / Bachelor's degree in humanitarian/Development studies or equivalent.
- You have a minimum of five years of field experience in operational management of humanitarian-development programs.
- You have a proven track record on project management on one of the following topic (WASH, FS, Nutrition) or a proven track record of support management of humanitarian-development project (Admin, Log, HR).
- You have strong management skills and leadership, pro-activity.
- You have strong communication, networking and representation
- You have a proven record of security and base management in development and post-crisis settings.
- You are result-oriented, with the ability to meet deadlines and produce high-quality reports.
- You have a strong cultural awareness and are able to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- You are able and willing to work under pressure in managing emergency programs.
- You are an excellent communicator in both written and spoken English.
Our Core values.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate Action Against Hunger-USA-USA’s five core values
Respect- we work with compassion and dedication, treating everyone the same way we expect them to treat us.
Integrity- we believe that being honest and fair is integral to every aspect of our work; conducting our work with a spirit of sincerity, truthfulness and transparency is imperative.
Creativity- we encourage new ideas, embrace innovative solutions, and create opportunities for meaningful and exciting ways to do our jobs and provide solutions to address the needs of the populations we serve.
Excellence- we strive to provide services that meet, and even exceed, the expectations of our stakeholders (populations in need, staff, communities and donors).
Empowerment- we are committed to fostering an environment in which our staff, partners and communities where we work have the space to grow, develop and feel confident about participating.
Gender Equality Commitments
- Foster an environment that reinforces values of women and men, and equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
- Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion. race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
- Value and respect for all cultures.
Action Against Hunger holds strict Safeguarding principles and has zero-tolerance for conducts of sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse in the workplace and other places where the organization’s activities are rendered. Parallel to technical competence, recruitment, selection and hiring decisions will give due emphasize to assessing candidates value congruence and thorough background checks, police clearance reference check processes.
What we offer
Action Against Hunger-USA provides all staff with an attractive salary & benefits package. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees & qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Action Against Hunger-USA complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
How to apply:
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the link below. All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated resume and both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. Closing date for applications is 2nd April 2021.