SOMALI REGION FIELD COORDINATOR
Location: ETHIOPIA - Filtu (Liben Zone – Somali Region)
- Contract duration: One year (possible extension)
- Start date of contract: 15th of March 2021
- Closing date for applications: 5/03/2021 Due to the urgency consideration, the position can be assigned even before the deadline if a suitable candidate is found
Short Description of Comitato Collaborazione Medica (CCM)
CCM (COMITATO COLLABORAZIONE MEDICA) is an Italian NGO, founded in 1968 in Turin and committed to promote the right to health and ensure access to essential health care in Africa, especially in East Africa (Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, and South Sudan).
Recognizing the interconnection of health of humans, animals and the environment, since 2005 CCM has been embracing the One Health (OH) approach to enhance the health of pastoral communities and their livestock in the remote and underserved areas of Ethiopia.
In March 2019, CCM and its partners, Vétérinaires Sans Frontières Suisse (VSF-Suisse) and International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI), started the 15-month inception phase of the HEAL project, One Health Units for Humans, Environment and Animals and Livelihoods (HEAL), ended on 31 October 2020. Since 1st November 2020, a 4-year Phase 1 has commenced.
The intervention has a regional scale and will focus on Oromia and Somali Regions of Ethiopia, Gedo Region of Somalia and Marsabit County of Kenya. The goal of the project is to improve the wellbeing of pastoralist communities in arid and semi-arid areas of Ethiopia, Somalia and Kenya by ensuring that healthy people derive their livelihoods from healthy livestock in a sustainably managed environment. Phase 1 may bel followed by 2 phases (4 years per phase). The project is funded by the Swiss Development Cooperation and co-funded by other donors.
Recently, Comitato Collaborazione Medica and Amref Health Africa have been merged creating a new organization named Amref Health Africa–Comitato Collaborazione Medica ONLUS .
In the framework of the HEAL project, Comitato Collaborazione Medica is looking for a Field Coordinator, to become a member of the HEAL Ethiopia team and particularly support the health activities and services of the multidisciplinary approach. Responsibilities and duties of the Field Coordinator are detailed below.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Field Coordinator is responsible for overall coordination/implementation of the health component in the framework of the HEAL Phase 1 activities in Liben zone of Somali region and will be the focal point for the Kenya component manager. S/he will ensure the correct performance of the activities, their constant monitoring, financial planning, the correct use of means, maintaining relations with partners and government health counterparts, in full compliance with the work plan and the guidelines agreed between the partners. The position incumbent ensures that all the health activities are properly implemented in the framework of the project. S/he will be directly responsible for the technical and organizational support of the health activities foreseen in the project, including field assessments, development of training materials, and liaison with institutional counterparts and coordination with project partners.
The appointed Field Coordinator works with the Ethiopia Country Representative on the implementation of the below tasks:
Responsible for the proper implementation – outcomes and output, timeline, finance, and quality – of the project and recommend solutions to both the technical and administrative supervisors where required
The budget holder, ensuring the correct utilization of the project budget, the allocation of expenses to the proper budget lines consistently with the official documents and donors’ rules. Besides, s/he is in charge of applying for fund requests to the HQ Administration, in collaboration with the Ethiopia Country Administrator
In charge of collecting all the financial documents for the reports requested
In charge of reporting on project’s activities as requested by the donors and Comitato Collaborazione Medica HQ Office. Promptly informing the Ethiopia Country Representative of any issue regarding the project, that can compromise the relationship between staff members, stakeholders or the name of the Organization
Responsible for managing project staff members’ team, for coordinating with HEAL Comitato Collaborazione Medica Kenya component manager, and for recruiting new staff members in line with Comitato Collaborazione Medica policies, supported by the Ethiopia and HQ Offices (ensuring that they have the necessary induction, training and support as requested)
S/he coordinates the project partners ensuring a smooth planning and running of project activities and a good synergy with complementary actions in the area of intervention
S/he represents Comitato Collaborazione Medica to project’s partners and donors
S/he establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with the stakeholders and institutional counterparts in the area of intervention
S/he works on identifying and writing new project’s proposal in the project area and in the thematic area of One Health
- Relevant Academic Degree
- Postgraduate studies (master, PhD, etc.) in health and/or development, cooperation and/or humanities/social sciences are considered as assets.
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience in projects’ management, with proven understanding of administrative and financial project issues
- Strong ability to networking and build effective partnership
- Knowledge of SDC procedures and projects’ management is an asset
- Excellent capabilities in project financial planning and monitoring
- Fluency in English (written and spoken)
- Good abilities in producing quality project reports, including good skills in understanding and using data collection and analysis
- Outstanding capacity to work with several and different stakeholders
- Outstanding and positive HR managerial ability to coordinate a multi-disciplinary and international teams– even in remote control mode
- Proven experience in identifying and elaborating new project proposals
- Strong leadership, high flexibility, team player and high motivation
- Strong ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Good knowledge of Ethiopian contest
- Proven experience in Public Health Sector or in the same sector of the project.
How to apply:
How to apply
Please, email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org including your Resume (maximum 3 pages) highlighting previous main achievements with at least 3 references and your Motivation Letter (maximum 1 page) in English.
Please, to help the HR office to consider your application properly, specify in the email subject the vacancy title as follow Field Coordinator_Ethiopia_HEAL and rename the files as surname_name_Cv and surname_name_Letter
Please, note every resume will be evaluated and only short-listed candidates will be contacted.