Business Associate - Supply Chain for Nutritious Food
The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) is seeking a Business Associate to support the GAIN Ethiopia project team in developing affordable, safe and nutritious prototypes of papaya-based products, from the formulation of a viable business model through to project implementation. This role is based in Addis Ababa, with travel required across Ethiopia and is offered on a fixed term basis of up to 3 year fixed term contract (subject to funding).
The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) is a Swiss-based foundation launched at the UN in 2002 to tackle the human suffering caused by malnutrition. Working with both governments and businesses, we aim to transform food systems so that they deliver more nutritious food for all people. In particular, we aim to make healthier food choices more desirable, more available, and more affordable. GAIN’s mission is to advance nutrition outcomes by improving consumption of nutritious and safe food for all people, especially the most vulnerable to malnutrition.
About the role
The Supply Chain for Nutritious Food project is designed to develop innovative solutions that increase the quality of nutritious food for young children, adolescent girls and pregnant and lactating women. This is achieved through the improvement of access to affordable, safe and nutritious dried papaya-based snacks by building a value chain for papaya processing in Ethiopia.
The Business Associate will work closely with the GAIN project team, local and global private sector, including public and private support structures, other civil society organizations, academia and government to develop a financially viable business model through a realistic preposition for the product solutions that will be developed in order to achieve impact through scalable models of the papaya-based food products, distribution and marketing.
Reporting to the Project Manager, Supply Chain for Nutritious Foods, the Associate will monitor and evaluate the business, distribution and market flow of the product through different channels. The Business Associate will also support with inputs on how to strengthen the enabling environment for value addition to fruit processing in Ethiopia.
Specific responsibilities will include;
- Supporting with the development of tools and conduct a baseline assessment or landscape analysis at the beginning and through the stages of the project development and implementation to understand the business, distribution and market landscapes
- Establishing the value chain analysis and define partners and their roles and responsibilities
- Monitoring and tracking the financial feasibility and sustainability of the business project and recommend any improvements through the project implementation.
- In collaboration with the project team, facilitate and support the design and test a multi-channel approach (retail and institutional) including value propositions for each channel.
- Support with the development of delivery channels map based on the market targets and research in collaboration with consultants
- Work closely with the project manager to assess the acceptability of the product within the prototype development process and providing recommendations on the intended prototype
- In collaboration with the team and marketing specialist, provide technical support to the processors on the product package and brand development as well as marketing strategy, and promotional tools development
- In collaboration with the team facilitate and develop a scalable and adaptable model/strategy for the scaleup of the solution and which can be applied to other fruits.
The successful candidate will have a background in business development including branding marketing products with an understanding and experience of international development, particularly food systems, agriculture, nutrition and other similar topics.
Knowledge in the food and fruit processing sector is an advantage, as well as knowledge in supply chain management. Experience working with local food producers, government officials and private sector partners in Ethiopia is preferred. Applicants must have experience in project management support and demonstrated success in working with various partners and service providers in time-bound projects.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to develop relationship with key stakeholders with strong communication and negotiation skills. They will have an aptitude for qualitative and quantitative analysis in food with the ability to multi-task and meet project deadlines.
Applicant must demonstrate an understanding of the role of business in contributing to Sustainable Development Goals and have proven experience with writing comprehensive reports and development of tools to be used for scaling of projects.
This is a local role and applicants must have the existing right to live and work in the region. Applicants must be flexible and willing to travel throughout Ethiopia.
About our offer
In addition to competitive salary, GAIN offers an attractive pension scheme, 25 days holiday (plus public holiday), flexible working and home working. We will support you to grow in your career through formal and informal professional development opportunities and we offer this within a supportive and collaborative environment.
The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition is committed to equality of opportunity and creating an inclusive environment where diversity is valued. We are keen to reflect the diversity of our society at every level within our organisation and therefore welcome applications from talented and committed people from all backgrounds, representing the diverse societies we operate in.
How to apply:
For more detailed information please see the attached job description. To apply, please visit: https://jobs.gainhealth.org/vacancies/689/