Senior Director of Learning, Monitoring & Training
Social Impact is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.
The six-year $16 million Ethiopia Performance Monitoring and Evaluation Service (EPMES) activity aims to provide USAID/Ethiopia with project/activity external evaluation, performance monitoring and performance management support services. The four key objectives of this contract are described below:
- Provide external evaluation services—including impact and performance evaluations, as well as assessments (i.e., gender assessments, sustainability assessments)—to USAID at the project design stage (Project Appraisal Document development) and multiple implementation levels (e.g., activity, project, etc.) and in all sectors in which the Mission works.
- Provide performance monitoring technical support services to the Mission to strengthen evidence-based decision-making for project design and implementation of development programming.
- Improve and enhance the capacity for learning and adaptation within USAID/Ethiopia throughout the program cycle.
- Strengthen local partners’ technical and management capacities, ensure sustainability, and improve knowledge of USAID policies, regulations, and practices related to M&E in order to increase the pool of potential M&E service providers for USAID and other donors in Ethiopia.
This position will oversee Collaborating, Learning, and Adapting (CLA), monitoring, and training service delivery through the USAID Ethiopia Performance, Monitoring and Evaluation Services (EPMES) contract, as well as support overall contract management relevant to these service areas. The position holder will lead the development and implementation of the CLA strategy and integration for USAID/Ethiopia and its implementing partners to better enable adaptive management and continuous improvement. S/he will work with USAID staff and partners to select and apply appropriate, utilization-focused monitoring approaches and to plan and implement training activities to support MEL and CLA. Management responsibilities include staff supervision and support, client management, quality assurance, and liaising with other EPMES staff members and Social Impact headquarters.
Collaborating, Learning, and Adapting
- Coordinate, plan, and implement organizational learning activities relevant to the achievement of USAID/Ethiopia’s Country Development Cooperation Strategy (CDCS) and CDCS CLA Plan, such as special studies, pause and reflection activities, after-action reviews, briefings, communities of practice, learning events, and/or seminars
- Assist the Mission’s Senior CLA Advisor in strengthening systems and processes that promote and facilitate efficient learning and knowledge sharing
- Coordinate knowledge capturing, sharing and strategic learning within the Mission, Government of Ethiopia, USAID implementing partners, and EPMES
- Assist the Mission’s Senior CLA Advisor in strengthening systems and processes that promote and facilitate efficient, action-oriented organizational learning
- Design, plan, facilitate, and oversee pause and reflect sessions, evidence reviews, team retreats, and other learning events with USAID/Ethiopia and its partners
- Work with USAID/Ethiopia staff and/or implementing partners to develop or review MEL Plans
- Plan and contribute to Mission monitoring efforts, including but not limited to site visits and implementation of USAID/Ethiopia’s CDCS CLA Plan (normally called a Performance Management Plan in other USAID Missions)
- Oversee EPMES support to USAID/Ethiopia to conduct annual meta-analysis of data quality assessments (DQAs) and promote accountability for DQA actions and data quality improvement
- Conduct or oversee analysis of monitoring data relevant to understanding progress towards results and contributions to addressing learning questions
Conduct Activity MEL Plan Reviews and extract, synthesize and present high-level findings and associated recommendations for Mission management*Training and Capacity Development*
Lead the development of training objectives and materials, ensuring that these materials are adapted to meet specific needs of target groups (normally USAID staff or USAID-funded Implementing Partner staff)
Conduct trainings or provide mentorship on MEL and CLA topics to USAID/Ethiopia staff and USAID implementing partner staff
Oversee the evaluation and analysis of the effectiveness and relevance of trainings and capacity development support, with a continued commitment to improvement of EPMES service delivery
- Supervise three local staff (CLA Advisor, MEL Advisor, Senior Monitoring and Training Manager), including active performance management and technical mentorship
- Work proactively with other EPMES Management team members to allocate work strategically among EPMES field office staff
- Identify and manage external local and international consultants to support technical service delivery
- Collaborate closely with the EPMES Monitoring, GIS, and Evaluation teams to generate continuous learning for USAID and within EPMES, and encourage cooperation among EPMES staff
- Oversee the MEL Advisor in management, implementation, and use of the EPMES Activity MEL Plan
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with USAID/Ethiopia staff and implementing partners, constantly evaluating how the EPMES technical support services can best respond to the current needs, gaps, priorities and strategic challenges of our client.
- A minimum of seven years’ relevant experience, out of which at least four years should be at a senior level
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in international affairs, public policy, organizational development, economics, or a related field
- Substantial experience working with USAID Missions or USAID-funded activities on MEL, CLA, and/or knowledge management
- Experience supporting USAID MEL efforts in Ethiopia and/or in other USAID Missions in Africa.
- Demonstrable knowledge of and experience applying USAID’s CLA framework, or a similar organizational learning theories and approaches
- Experience developing and implementing learning and monitoring approaches for international development, including: developing learning questions or a learning agenda; indicator selection; choosing other relevant, non-indicator monitoring approaches; developing tailored learning approaches; linking monitoring with evaluation and adaptation
- Demonstrable experience with developing, tailoring, delivering, and evaluating training on MEL and/or CLA topics, ideally to USAID staff or implementing partners. Experience with training on the USAID program cycle, gender and social inclusion, or conflict-sensitivity a plus.
- Must be detail-oriented, while also being a strong strategic thinker
- Results-oriented with the capacity to perform well under multiple work demands with time-specific delivery.
- Experience with remote facilitation or training a significant plus.
- Skills with descriptive data analysis at a minimum
- Knowledge of evaluation and/or research a plus.
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills, including the ability to distill key findings and strategic messages relevant to the audience and data visualization
- Outstanding capacity to provide constructive feedback, foster collaboration, and promote adapting of leaning to implementation practices
- Excellent planning, critical thinking, decision-making, and organizational skills
How to apply:
To apply, kindly submit your CV and cover letter at: https://phg.tbe.taleo.net/phg02/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=SOCIIMPA2&cws=1&rid=3486