Information Analyst (National) - Tigray - Ethiopia
iMMAP is an international nongovernmental organisation that provides information management services to humanitarian and development organizations. Through information management, we help our partners target assistance to the world’s most vulnerable populations. Our core philosophy is that better data leads to better decisions and that better decisions lead to better outcomes. iMMAP’s critical support to information value chains helps to solve operational and strategic challenges of our partners in both emergency and development contexts by enabling evidence-based decision-making for better outcomes.
The military conflict in the Tigray region, which began in November 2020, has caused additional forced displacement and increased humanitarian needs in Tigray and in other parts of the country. Since the beginning of the conflict, humanitarian actors have faced strong difficulties in conducting on the ground assessments of the humanitarian needs due to the lack of access and communication blackout. Alternative ways for assessing have been explored and different actors have already positioned themselves to provide those services. Since the end of December 2020, access is being slowly permitted and telephone lines are beginning to be restored in some areas. Therefore, actors are starting to conduct their own assessments. Nevertheless, OCHA and other clusters consider that many needs are still not addressed: for example, there are still information gaps on specific thematics or specific areas that are not covered by the existing assessment initiatives. Additionally, some actors implicated in some joint assessments or conducting their own assessments don’t always have the capacity to manage the data in a qualitative way and would need support for cleaning, managing, analyzing and visualizing the data. Through this project, iMMAP proposes to fill the information gaps and provide the needed technical support in order to meet the needs shared by the implicated actors.
In this framework, iMMAP is searching for an Information Analyst (national) to be part of the project team sitting in Addis Ababa.
Description of Duties
- Compilation and processing of information on the flows and sectoral needs;
- Prepare relevant data analysis;
- Design and implement analysis methodology in collaboration with iMMAP analysts globally and other humanitarian partners;
- Proactively analyze information from sector partners, government authorities, academia and other actors;
- Identify gaps in information and join efforts to fill them;
- Provide high quality research and analysis following an evidence-based approach and ensure thorough documentation of the methodology;
- Utilize both open source research and secondary data to look into cross-sectoral issues in the Country as needed;
- Support joint analysis of secondary data through DEEP;
- Ensure proper DEEP use and adequate tagging of leads;
- Design and adjust the analysis framework on DEEP and ensure the team is trained to use it;
- Contribute to research design, methodological development and strategic planning for iMMAP’s analysis efforts in country and beyond;
- Contribute to production of regular written reports and dashboards;
- Support new and ongoing needs assessments;
- Follow iMMAP's branding regulations required for marketing or branding of all iMMAP products and correspondence.
Bachelor's degree in economics, statistics, political science, social sciences and other similar areas or relevant humanitarian experience.
A minimum of 5 years of work experience, experience with the humanitarian ecosystem is desirable;
At least 3 years of experience in information management and analysis;
Experience in developing analytical frameworks, analytical processes and implementing analytical projects;
Experience in desk review and research;
Experience in implementing projects with qualitative and quantitative data collection techniques and approaches;
Skills & Knowledge
An understanding of the analysis spectrum and specific analytical techniques to ensure each level of analysis is covered, i.e., descriptive, explanatory, interpretive, anticipative, and prescriptive analysis;
Knowledge of techniques and criteria to assess the reliability of sources and credibility of information;
An ability to work with both quantitative and qualitative data;
Ability to analyze and synthesize qualitative and quantitative information from a wide range of sources.
An understanding of main analytical standards used to assess the quality and credibility of analysis;
Effective communication skills to work among clusters, agencies, humanitarian partners and the Government counterparts;
Good organizational skills to deliver products on time and with quality;
Excellent analytical writing skills;
Good interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team environment;
Ability to understand and adapt to complex and dynamic situations;
Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines;
Good facilitation skills to achieve strong consensus between stakeholders.
**Knowledge of Microsoft Office package with strong skills in Excel is mandatory;
Knowledge of The DEEP platform (https://www.thedeep.io/) is an advantage;
Knowledge of Premise (https://www.premise.com/) is an advantage.
Personnel is expected to conduct itself in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and iMMAP’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all Countries.
iMMAP has zero-tolerance for sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, human trafficking, child abuse and exploitation. Any violations of these principles and policies will be treated as serious misconduct.
iMMAP is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background.
How to apply:
Please apply through: https://careers.immap.org/jobs/137