Position Title : Finance Officer
Duty Station : Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 11 February 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Fiji; Gabon; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People's Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and direct supervision of the Senior Resource Management Officer (SRMO) in the International Organization for Migration (IOM) Special Liaison Office in Addis Ababa, and in close coordination with relevant units at Headquarters, the Administrative Centres (Manila and Panama) and the Regional Office in Nairobi, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for supporting and coordinating the budgetary and financial management and related administrative functions of the IOM Special Liaison Office (SLO) and its Sub-Offices.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Provide administrative support in monitoring and overseeing the financial management for all activities in Ethiopia including the oversight of financial expenditure and accountability; undertake preliminary financial analysis of projects in the SLO.
Apply adequate administrative instructions and application of internal control procedures to safeguard the Organization’s assets, control cash and prevent fraud. Alert the supervisor in a timely manner of unusual or irregularities regarding transactions, and delays impacting timely reporting.
Provide input for and coordinate the preparation of donor financial reports in accordance with IOM regulations and established procedures. Establish work priorities and coordinate the accounts payable and treasury activities in consultation with Resource Management Officer (RMO) to facilitate that payable and treasury functions of IOM Ethiopia mission are efficient and timely and adequate internal controls are in place.
Ensure that accounting data is properly entered in PRISM, in accordance with IOM financial rules and practices, and maintain accurate records of PRISM entries including hard copies of all vouchers and supporting documentations.
Review the monthly accounting returns for accuracy and ensure that these are submitted on a timely basis and are completed according to IOM Accounting Policies and Procedures.
Assist in forecasting cash flows according to activities in the SLO including sub offices and ensure daily control of funds disbursed; check that funding is received in accordance with donor agreements.
Assist the SRMO in preparing annual budget for the SLO, monitor budget control and analyze variances between budget and actual expenditures, and assist in the preparation of budgets for new programmes.
Inspect payroll versus budgets, ensuring that salaries are correctly allocated to projects consistent with IOM's projectization criteria.
Follow up on advances/long pending balances in vendor accounts and work closely with relevant units to ensure timely settlement and to keep vendor balances to the minimum.
Provide support and information to Project Managers throughout the project cycle to enable compliance with IOM’s policies and procedures and any donor-specific requirements.
Make recommendations on procedural improvements to help strengthen internal control systems as well as project financial monitoring process.
In coordination with SRMO and RMO supervise all HUBs within the country under IOM management ensuring proper Budget and Internal Controls are adhered to.
Liaise with other internal functional units of the SLO, and support the SRMO in liaising with banks, donors and government counterparts and other stakeholders as required in the performance of the accounting function.
Supervise and train finance staff on IOM financial policies and procedures. Facilitate and support knowledge building and sharing in IOM’s administrative and financial policies to all other staff in the SLO.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Professional certification as Charted Accountant (CA) or Certified Public Accountant (CPA),Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), or Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) is an advantage.
• Experience in financial management, financial reporting, accounting, budgeting and administration;
• Experience and familiarity with financial oversight and public administration;
• Experience with international institutions and knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS).
• Knowledge of IOM’s regulations, policies and procedures preferred.
• Ability to prepare clear and concise reports, supervise staff and coordinate administrative activities;
• Good level of computer literacy, in particular good knowledge of MS Office specifically excel;
• Knowledge of IOM/UN accounting systems, software (SAP Finance), and procedures is a distinct advantage;
• Strong ability to pan work ahead and respect deadlines/timelines.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Amharic, French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 11 February 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 29.01.2021 to 11.02.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2021 24 Finance Officer (P2) Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (56828540) Released
Posting: Posting NC56828541 (56828541) Released