Country Representative Ethiopia
We help to strengthen resilience of vulnerable people exposed to hazards and crisis situations and we respond to disasters and conflicts to save lives and alleviate suffering. In the Netherlands with more than thirty thousand volunteers and internationally through technical assistance, supplies and money. Together we act before, during and after disasters to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people.
We do this without regards to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinion. Our seven principles guide our humanitarian work: humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
The International Assistance department is responsible for all Netherlands Red Cross international support for victims of disasters and conflicts and for vulnerable people exposed to hazards. The International Assistance department has opened a vacancy for a:
Position title: NLRC Country Representative
Duty station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Time period: 1 year with possible extension
Starting Date: March 2021
Status: Family posting but currently without travels for family due to COVID-19
The Netherlands Red Cross (NLRC) has a long term Strategic Partnership with Ethiopia Red Cross. Our aim is to support the local partner in building resilience in communities in Ethiopia.
We do this by primarily focusing our efforts within the partnership on increasing the financial sustainability of Ethiopian Red Cross (ERCS). We do this by investing in a holistic way in the following 4 areas:
Resource Mobilisation to gain sufficient restricted and unrestricted income to cover core costs and meet mission priorities
Financial management, analysis and planning so strategic decisions are based on high-quality financial information
Humanitarian work carried out by branches that can be sustained through local resource mobilization and is aligned to a national mission
Secondly, we support the partner in its disaster response to different crisis. Thirdly, we support the partner also in building a successful project-portfolio and service delivery for the most vulnerable communities in Ethiopia in the in different geographical areas in the country. We do this all together and in coordination with other Red Cross Movement partners who also work on different sectors in different geographical areas.
Position in the organization
As a Country Representative the delegate is leading the NLRC country office in Ethiopia. The Country Representative leads a team of 3 NLRC delegates, and has 1 local administrative/finance support staff member and a local program coordinator reporting to him/her. The Country representative is also the security focal point for NLRC in Ethiopia. The Country Representative has direct lines with IFRC, ICRC and ERCS Senior management. The Country Representative reports to the Unit Lead of the strategic partnership unit, who is based in the Netherlands, on matters dealing with partnership, strategy, HR, office and portfolio execution and development. He or she is supported by HQ through a technical experts on Financial Sustainability Workplace First Aid and a Project portfolio Coordinator.
Summary statement of responsibilities
The Country Representative of the Netherlands Red Cross in Ethiopia is expected to safeguard and further develop the NLRC long term vision and strategy for Ethiopia Red Cross. In light of our long term partnership with the Ethiopia Red Cross, this needs a close, but critical collaboration with ERCS. It also requires maintaining and developing strong relations with other core Movement Partners of ERCS , IFCR, ICRC and PNSs (Partnership National Societies), and other important stakeholders such as the Netherlands embassy, consortium partners, private sector, UN Agencies, and donors.
Vision and Strategy and partnership with ERCS
- In line with NLRC’s International Assistance department strategic directions, design a vision for the partnership
- Safeguard and implement the milestones agreed in the Framework Partnership Agreement (FPA) between NLRC and ERCS
- Establish, monitor and manage the financial sustainability agenda of the partnership towards clear results
- Have the oversight of the humanitarian context in Ethiopia and lead the identification of possible new intervention which fit into NLRC’s longer term strategy
- Ensure information flow, involvement of higher management, collaboration and follow up with ERCS in regards to all NLRC supported projects, including financial sustainability initiatives
Based upon the holistic NLRC vision on financial sustainability, Ethiopia Red Cross will conduct a financial sustainability assessment and plan. Facilitate the assessment and making of the plan and liaise with the financial sustainability coordinator at HQ on progress. Facilitate in monitoring the plan towards clear results.
Programme development and Management and disaster response
- Maintain but also develop and account for NLRC’s portfolio of projects in the Ethiopia, in line with our strategic directions
- Manage 3 NLRC delegates and 2 ERCS staff members, one administrative/finance support and one pro coordinator who support you in project portfolio.
- Ensure in the existing projects, that NLRC’s Standard Project Approach (SPA) and the FPA are being met by your team and yourself; donor requirements and conditions are followed and deviations regarding project objectives and budget control are timely identified, and communicated to the NLRC HQ
- Ensure learning and knowledge sharing across the program within the country and use learnings to inform new programme designs, country/global strategies and policies of NLRC
- Collaborate with NLRC technical advisors on Wash, data, PME and finance within the project to guarantee quality within the projects.
- Promote a participatory approach in programming work and create space in the country structure for national staff and delegates participation and involvement in decision making, as well as interface with focal persons of major donors within the country
- In case of disaster or crisis, align with ERCS and other movement partners on fast disaster response by facilitating funding or expertise where necessary. Be the focal point in country for colleagues, external stakeholders or external media.
Funding and Grants Management
- In line with the above mentioned portfolio development, develop networks and partnerships with national/regional/international institutions in Ethiopia and spearhead donor collaboration and fund raising
- Keep updated with trends within the donor environment in Ethiopia and internationally
- Ensure (potential) donors are updated about the projects being implemented by NLRC/ERCS and share regular programme brief with institutional donors and private sector stakeholders
- Ensure that NLRC and donor conditions are 100 % being followed and support staff in monitoring adherence to all donors conditionalities in NLRC supported projects
- Facilitate efficient donor visits, donor meetings, round table discussions and evaluations as necessary and manage expectations of donors visiting the country programme
- Ensure and lead the establishment of a ERCS / CRNL project proposal team that will develop project proposals and that will follow the recommendations of the mapping of funding opportunities.
- Relationship management with other partners and relevant stakeholders
- Represent the NLRC in-country to all relevant stakeholders in fora, advocacy meetings, consultations, working groups meetings.
- Maintain a close relation with The Netherlands Embassy.
- Steer the agenda of collaboration with core red cross partners of ERCS (like Swedish, French, Finnish Red Cross, IFRC and ICRC)
- As the security focal point, the Country Representative (CR) is responsible for the security of all visitors and NLRC staff
- Being a true team leader, the CR builds its team and creates a secure and friendly environment. The CR ensures that staff are able to develop their professional and personal capacity.
- Requesting technical support (finance, PM&E, thematic, resource mobilization, logistics, etc) for the project delegates and the team
- Ensures that the NLRC office has an excellent project management and financial administration, that everybody works according the Standard Project Approach (SPA) and uses the correct procedures and formats, and all relevant documents are being stored at SPACE (NLRC administration cloud)
- Manages the NLRC office budget approved by NLRC HQ and ensures a 100% correct administration in NLRC financial system (Winpacs)
- At least 8 years’ working experience for a humanitarian aid organization in Africa
- Experience of managing and supporting staff and ability to empower them
- Having coordination and networking skills in programmes and between relevant stakeholders
- Knowledge of and experience in financial accountability of projects and budgets is a must
- Technical knowledge of WASH, data and or resilience is a pre
- Working experience with the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement is a pre
- Cultural sensitive but able to address and relate to higher management
- Excellent interpersonal skills and able to work with different people, organisations and forms of partnership
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English is required
How to apply:
Please send your resume in English and letter of motivation with reference to Annemieke van Teeffelen, before 27 January 2021 using our online application system via https://werkenbij.rodekruis.nl/nl/Vacature/Solliciteren/174684/job
For more information about the position, you can contact Liesbet Van Gaever, email@example.com
An initial assessment of candidates short-listed is part of the selection procedure.
For more information of the work of the Netherlands Red Cross please go to www.rodekruis.nl. and NLRC on Facebook: Facebook.com/rodekruis and Twitter: Twitter.com/rodekruis