Action Against Hunger-USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network, which provides humanitarian relief in over 40 countries worldwide in the sectors of nutrition, health, water/sanitation, and food security. Action Against Hunger-USA, an independent NGO, currently manages operations in 7 countries: Kenya, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Haiti and Somalia. Action Against Hunger-USA has approximately 1,500 staff based in the various country offices, Head Quarter in New York City and Operational Centre in Nairobi. Additional growth is anticipated.
You'll contribute to ending world hunger by ...
leading the continuous strategic development and ensure growth of the Country Program and Integrate the program and operational structure into a coherent country office. You will be representing Action Against Hunger at country level with donors and will be responsible for building the Action Against Hunger brand and reputation at country level.
Key activities in your role will include:
- Provide vision and direction in the development of a country strategy that integrates programmatic and operational aspects of the country programs; ensure continued relevance with national context and alignment with and contribution to regional and global Action Against Hunger objectives.
- Guide program strategic development to take advantage of emergent opportunities and areas of work and consolidate strategic insight from regional and country level expertise
- Develop and establish policies and systems in collaboration with the Action Against Hunger Senior Leadership Team at country level that are fully compliant with Action Against Hunger USA policy as well as with national/local legislation
- Expand program funding through engagement with donors ensuring continuous flow of resources to support country program growth
- Facilitate the technical development and growth of programmatic and operational functions of the country program through championing programmatic and operational country needs to regional and global levels of Action Against Hunger USA
- Represent Action Against Hunger USA to national governments, bilateral/multilateral institutions and in NGO networks to build and uphold the Action Against Hunger brand and reputation as a reliable partner in the delivery of programs and as a key voice in nutrition sensitive programming
- Responsible for creating and maintaining a positive and conducive working environment amongst all staff at country level to ensure a healthy and effective organizational culture which:
§ Promotes the Action Against Hunger Charter of Principles,
§ Embeds the Action Against Hunger USA Core Values into the daily working context,
§ Encourages team work, cross departmental and cross functional collaboration
§ Ensures staff members are valued and staff engagement is maximized
results-drivenDo you meet the required criteria?
You are enthusiastically pursuing a career in senior management
- You have a minimum 10 years experience in an emergency and/or a development context.
- You have at least 5 years of senior management experience.
- You have advance knowledge of donor guidelines and procedures (USAID, DFID, EU, UN, GAC etc.).
- You have high level financial management skills and are accustomed to steering an organizational budget.
- You have a sound understanding of strategic human resource management principles, strategies and approaches.
- You have an understanding of managing security and risk within an INGO context
- You have the ability to manage the development of, and contribute to, the high-level analysis of the underlining factors of chronic under nutrition including socio-cultural factors
- You have a good level of IT literacy and an understanding of how new developments in technology can positively contribute to the aims of an INGO.
- You are an effective negotiator, with the ability to influence cross-departmental and cross-sector working
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills to motivate and influence
- You have proven analytical skills and the ability to think strategically, including the ability to think beyond the country program context
- You are results-driven and able to set and communicate goals and ensure effective and appropriate decision making and problem-solving.
- You eagerly engage your teams & promote the development & implementation of innovative approaches to solve core humanitarian and development problems.
- You’re able to analyze changes in your context & discuss the implications with senior operational staff. You are comfortable communicating organizational decisions to your team & relevant partners.
- You intuitively adapt how you communicate context analysis, strategy, policies & procedures to suit different audiences - both verbally & in writing.
- You are diplomatic but tenacious. You recognize that advocating for change & innovative programming requires building strong relationships with donors, local authorities & other partners, while retaining the space to speak confidently about Action Against Hunger’s programs & our knowledge of the humanitarian/development needs
- You are able to organize, mentor, engage and motivate a multicultural team.
- You are a tactful speaker & expert listener.
- You believe that every problem has a solution. It is the way we approach the problem that makes the difference.
- You are able to remain calm under pressure and can easily adapt to changing circumstances.
- You are able to continuously motivate yourself and your teams to deliver high standards of work.
- You demonstrate strong self-awareness and are not afraid to take responsibility for your actions.
- You are ready and willing to integrate into hard working and fun team that believes in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well.
- You are disciplined and able to work and arrive at decisions autonomously with minimal guidance.
Our Core values.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate Action Against Hunger’s five core values
Respect- we work with compassion and dedication, treating everyone the same way we expect them to treat us.
Integrity-: we believe that being honest and fair is integral to every aspect of our work. conducting our work with a spirit of sincerity, truthfulness and transparency is imperative.
Creativity-we encourage new ideas, embrace innovative solutions, and create opportunities for meaningful and exciting ways to do our jobs and provide solutions to address the needs of the populations we serve.
Excellence- we strive to provide services that meet and even exceed the expectations of our stakeholders (populations in need, staff, communities and donors).
Empowerment- we are committed to fostering an environment in which our staff, partners and communities where we work have the space to grow, develop and feel confident about participating.
Gender Equality Commitments
- Ability to foster an environment that reinforces values of women and men, and equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
- Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, boys and girls regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion. race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
- Value and respect for all cultures.
Action Against Hunger values its employees and offers a comprehensive remuneration and benefits package. These include but are not limited to: -
- Health Insurance
- R&R Breaks
- Paid annual leave (vacation)
- Training opportunities
How to apply:
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the link below. All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated resume and both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. Closing date for applications: 5th February 2021.