Country Director - Ethiopia & Eritrea
- Bring your leadership skills and expertise to help eliminate avoidable blindness
- Key role within a world-renowned international development NGO
- Located in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
The Fred Hollows Foundation is a development organisation working in more than 25 countries. We help train and empower local eye doctors, nurses and health workers to create a sustainable system of care in the communities that need it most. The work we do has a very clear purpose: to make sure everyone, whether they’re rich or poor, has access to high quality, affordable eye health.
We focus on preventable and treatable diseases such as cataract, trachoma and diabetic retinopathy. Our in-country work involves local training and providing affordable technology, so doctors, nurses and health care workers can recognise, diagnose, refer and treat eye problems in their communities. We use research to improve our understanding of avoidable blindness, then use our findings to implement strategies and advocate for change.
As part of our global efforts to eliminate blindness, The Fred Hollows Foundation has been working in Ethiopia (the world’s most trachoma-endemic country) and Eritrea in its effort to eliminate trachoma.
About the Position
We are seeking a dynamic and self-driven individual who has a significant level of experience leading complex, large-scale programs in public health, development or aid. Reporting to the Director of Global Programmes Implementation, the Country Director will lead The Foundation’s Country Office and programming in Ethiopia and Eritrea.
Working as part of the International Programs team, this is a senior leadership position which will oversee the development and management of The Foundation’s biggest program and country office. You will be responsible for leading a complex portfolio of health interventions, including comprehensive eye health, trachoma Mass Drug Administration (MDA), TT Surgery and WASH projects in Ethiopia and Eritrea with an annual expenditure of over $10M. In addition you will serve as the focal person, representing The Foundation across a wide range of stakeholders to engage, advocate and increase resources for eliminating blindness, particularly Trachoma and Cataract.
You will be an accomplished leader and seasoned senior manager who has a proven track record of building high performing teams and establishing operational excellence. Your advocacy skills and superior relationship management skills will ensure your success in taking a program of significant scale to the next level.
- Master’s degree in public health, international development or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience leading large scale eye health/trachoma elimination programmes.
- Excellent experience in organisational development in fast-evolving social, political and economic contexts including contribution to change processes.
- Good experience developing, resourcing and implementing country strategies and translating them to organisational and individual objectives of the teams.
- Demonstrated experience leading complex health programmes with multiple implementing partners and donors including USAID, DFID, and private foundations.
- Excellent experience leading physical and virtual teams in a multi-faceted cultural environment.
- Knowledge of application of project management cycle for development effectiveness and program impact.
- Demonstrated experience in business development and resource mobilisation
- Demonstrated experience ensuring country-level compliance of organisational governance requirements including regulatory risks, legal issues, audits, safety and security, etc.
- Experience contributing to national and global advocacy efforts for trachoma elimination and in eye health leadership including participation in national/regional forums.
This is an exciting time to join The Fred Hollows Foundation Ethiopia as we seek to deliver even greater impact and enhance our ability to accomplish our vision.
To be eligible to apply for this position you must have the appropriate right to work in Ethiopia.
How to apply:
Applications should be made via our website: http://www.hollows.org/au/careers/current-vacancies and should include your resume and cover letter addressing all areas expressed in the ‘experience, skills & attributes’ section of the Role Purpose as well as details of your current and expected salary.
Alternatively, if you would like further information please contact our Talent Acquisition Specialist team via email at email@example.com Kindly note that CV’s sent to this address shall not be considered.
Applications close: 28th January 2021
The Fred Hollows Foundation is committed to protecting the rights of children in all areas where we work. Applicants are advised that The Foundation reserves the right to conduct police checks and other screening procedures to ensure we maintain and promote a child-safe environment.
The Fred Hollows Foundation – Ethiopia (FHF-E) has been re-registered and licensed by The Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia Organizations Of Civil Societies in accordance with the Organizations Of Civil Societies Proclamation No.1113/2019 and certificate number 2985, on May 20/2019.