Title: Livelihoods Manager
Location: Dolo Ado
Reports to: Area Manager
Grade – F2
Start of Contract & Duration: Three Months
Posting date: December 29, 2020
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender-based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Dollo Ado-based Livelihood Manager is responsible for the overall implementation and strategic direction of the organization's current and future livelihoods projects in Liben and Afder zones of the Somali region, and is the direct supervisor of program staff in the Dollo Ado field office. The Area Manager advises DRC’s program staff to ensure all programming in the assigned areas of operation is in line with DRC Ethiopia’s country strategy and is in full compliance with the organization’s policies and best practices. Furthermore, the Livelihood Manager is responsible for leading project cycle management, proposal development and program strategy - ensuring the successful implementation and completion of all activities, and relevance and responsiveness of the activities to priority humanitarian needs in the assigned areas of operation.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
§ Programming :
· Provide leadership, management and technical direction of DRC Dollo Ado Livelihoods program, in coordination with and as agreed technically with Area Manager to ensure rapid implementation of field activities in line with agreed donor plans and budgets.
· Supervise and ensure the implementation of all livelihood activities in the field, ensuring quality and timeliness;
· Plan and implement rural livelihood, resilience and DR activities with the guidance of the Area Manager, including, but not limited to: TVET, livestock and agricultural inputs and trainings, cash for work and infrastructure rehabilitation, DRR planning, VSLAs/access to finance, and cash programming.
· Work in all aspects of Project Cycle Management, including active participation in the completion of all programming components of the Programme Management Tools (PMT).
· Uphold the professional standards related to Livelihoods prorgramming in humanitarian assistance.
· Contribute to the development of concept notes, logical frameworks, and proposals as needed;
· Assist in the identification of strong local partners and potential programme synergies to develop for future opportunities;
· Manage the CVA projects and ensure the distribution of multipurpose cash assistance are conducted in a safe and accountable manner;
· Coordinate closely with Area and Country MEAL focal points to ensure that site observation, output and impact monitoring is conducted in a timely manner, and that appropriate CFM options are available in target sites / to programme beneficiaries.
· Uphold the highest standard of confidentiality when managing records to ensure beneficiary dignity and privacy;
1. Reporting :
· Contribute to the production of quality and timely reports on program activities;
· Provide weekly/monthly reports to the Area Manager, including accurate figures of distributions/referrals done and challenges encountered, in the agreed format
· Ensure that all project documents (including from previous implementation periods) are available, accurate, and archived in soft and hard copy according to DRC procedures
2. Representation and coordination :
· Develop and strengthen relationships with potential local partners, stakeholders and communities in order to maintain trust in DRC’s professional standard and quality of work among all stakeholders;
· With the coordination of the Area Manager, represent DRC externally to at the site level in relation to Livelihoods project activities, including in Livelihoods coordination fora with other agencies.
· Regularly update mapping of stakeholders implementing Livelihoods’ project in area of responsibility;
· Ensure coordination with other INGOs, government bodies and DRC departments (Protection, M&E, Procurement and Finance);
· Contribute to the effective implementation of operations support activities related to Livelihoods Programme, including related to administration, finances and logistics, so as to ensure smooth project implementation.
· In all matters, comply with internal directive and policies as communicated by the Area Manager, Head of Programme and/or the relevant support departments;
4. Budget Management:
· Provide inputs to Area Manager to ensure effective and efficient utilization of livelihoods program resources through monitoring and tracking of expenditures against budgets;
· Anticipate, along with Area Manager, potential over/under spending;
· Provide expenditure forecast to Area Manager on monthly basis;
5. Staff management, training & Capacity development :
· Train, coach and mentor livelihoods programme staff in various technical areas and in project management skills, through internal or external facilitation, including formal and informal interactions;
· Contribute to the timely performance & development management measures for the livelihoods programme staff, including appraisals and remedial actions.
6. Other :
· Conduct other tasks as requested by the Area Manager for the effective implementation of DRC’s projects, including support to capacity-building activities and other duties;**
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
· Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
· Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
· Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
· Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
· Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Experience and Technical Competencies:
§ Master’s degree in law, social sciences, international development, economics or other relevant field.
§ Minimum of 3-5 years of work experience within the field of rural livelihoods, cash & markets, DRR, particularly within the field of humanitarian response and refugee protection, with experience working for an international NGO, UN agency or relevant ministry or local authority.
§ Minimum of 3 years of experience in a project management position.
§ Excellent analytical and writing skills.
§ Excellent written and spoken English.
§ Knowledge of Office software packages and experience using data analysis tools.
How to apply:
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please note that we receive applications up to January 7, 2021.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.ngo.
*Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.*
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics
*We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.*