Deputy Chief of Party - Technical
Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic institutions and stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.
Under the leadership of the Chief of Party, the Deputy Chief of Party - Technical will provide overall activity management, ensuring the quality roll out of programmatic activities as planned and the quality and timeliness of targeted contractual deliverables. The Deputy Chief of Party will lead the effective management of the activity's technical team and the daily functional management of staff and project offices. S/he will be responsible for establishing an office in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, recruiting Core Staff, and managing a network of qualified professionals to serve as short term technical advisors. She/he will represent the project in the COP's absence, and ensure the quality of work and compliance with contractual obligations and results and will be responsible for the oversight of quality and performance of work that is sub-contracted to grantees and other partners.
This activity will incorporate basic education, higher education, and family planning resources to empower youth to advance their own social, economic, and civic development. The activity simultaneously aims to strengthen the capacity of Ethiopian higher education institutions, youth-serving organizations, and health and financial service providers to support economic and social opportunities for youth (aged 15-29) in Addis Ababa across 10-15 key secondary cities.
Reporting & Supervision:
The Deputy Chief of Party - Technical will report to the Chief of Party, based in Addis Ababa.
- Oversee all activity programmatic implementation, including objective design, rollout, and implementation;
- Ensure that program components are results-oriented, ensure high quality deliverables, and relevant and timely reporting;
- Coordinate the day-to-day management and activity of technical staff in all project offices;
- Support the COP in managing the objectives team, ensuring a technically-sound activity;
- Contribute to the development of the annual work plans, providing programmatic budgeting;
- Ensure the timely preparation of required reports and deliverables, including quarterly and annual reports in accordance with USAID guidelines;
- Ensure project activities are meeting client expectations and that project results and accomplishments are disseminated appropriately;
- Work with the COP to improve technical implementation processes throughout the activity;
- Represent the project in local, national, and international meetings and events in the absence of the COP; and
Assist in the identification, recruitment, and management of consultants, and sub awardees as necessary.
Master's Degree in relevant field is required. Bachelor's Degree with additional years of experience in similar types of programs may be considered;
At least eight (8) years of experience in relevant management, supervisory, technical experience working with programs of a similar scope and scale, of which two (2) years must be working experience in fragile or post-conflict states; Ten (10) years of experience for Bachelor's Degree;
Demonstrated technical knowledge of adolescent health, higher education institutions, education systems, agriculture, Positive Youth Development (PYD), economic growth, financial inclusion, grants management or related fields;
Experience working with donor projects, USAID preferred;
Demonstrated ability to organize program work teams;
Demonstrated ability to collaborate with a wide range of stakeholders, and to liaise as needed with donor and home office personnel to ensure the smooth implementation of the contract;
Strong communication and interpersonal skills; and
Fluency in English, written and spoken.