Communications Officer (National Position)
Purpose of the position
The Communications Officer (CO) will help develop, implement, and manage a communications strategy aimed at growing Cordaid Ethiopia’s audiences and stewarding its brand. The organization is about to begin building a new country office website and the CO will play a major role in the decision making and driving the strategy of the website design with the third-party company based in the Netherlands. The CO will leverage digital communications tools, such as social media, email, owned and earned media, to advance Cordaid Ethiopia’s visibility and underpin fundraising goals. Reporting to the Country Director, the CO will help the Country Office Program Team to drive a strategic vision for integrated communications and development activities.
Key Result Area
Responsibilities and Accountability
Content Marketing and Management
Distills Cordaid Ethiopia’s relief and development programming activities and outcomes into engaging, accessible marketing content for a variety of audiences. Develops multi-channel marketing campaigns to drive awareness of and engagement with Cordaid Ethiopia’s mission.
Develops communications strategies that bolster Cordaid Ethiopia’s reputation as a leading international relief and development organization in Ethiopia. Crafts messages that engage philanthropists, the press, thought leaders, and the general public. Builds productive relationships with journalists, writes effective pitches and press releases, edits newsletters, and plans and implements successful conference call series for donors.
Devises and implements the organization’s social media strategy. Manages all institutional social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram) with support from program and MEL staff whom the CO will provide guidance on this activity. Advises colleagues on how to build their brand on social media to promote Cordaid Ethiopia’s visibility objectives.
Supports team members in devising and executing email strategies that effectively engage constituents. Supports the team in developing email best practices for the organization. Advises on major infrastructure decisions, website platform selection and implementation of the new website strategy. Maintains the website with support from team members.
Builds and maintains strategic partnerships with national and global media with support from junior members of the team and field staff.
Implements paid advertising campaigns that activate target audiences and meet stated goals. Strategize which platforms, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google Display, etc., drive the greatest ROI. Regularly analyzes and reports on Cordaid Ethiopia communications performance.
Attend to other duties as directed and instructed by the line manager
· Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, Journalism, or related field.
· 3-5 years of digital communications experience working for a non-profit, media outlet, marketing, or ad agency preferably in an international development/aid context.
· Possess excellent skills in: Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat), Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel) and (Web) Content Management Systems. Basic design and HTML skills are strongly preferred.
· Familiar with online fundraising, email marketing and donation platforms. CRM experience is a plus.
· Keen interest in and knowledge of international relief and development or related fields; prior experience working at an international organization strongly preferred.
· Demonstrated capacity for effective teamwork
· Excellent problem solver; eager to share out-of-the-box ideas.
· Excellent organizational abilities with strong skills in managing multiple projects.
· Fast, flexible thinker who can shift gears on short notice.
· Professional written and oral communication skills in English and Amharic (Knowledge of Oromo would be added value but not required)
· Demonstrated ability to write stories and draft communication text in English.
How to apply:
Interested and qualifying applicants can submit their application letter and CV in English, with email contact details of at least 3 professional references, to the following email firstname.lastname@example.org
CORDAID is an equal opportunities employer and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
All applications submitted cannot be returned. An integrity check will be part of the recruitment procedure.