Chief of Party
Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic development and post-crisis stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.
Creative Associates International, Inc. (Creative) is seeking a Chief of Party (COP) for an anticipated USAID-funded program in Ethiopia. The COP is to be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and will be responsible for the technical leadership and in-country management of the program. S/he will oversee long-term staff and short-term experts in achieving program results. The COP ensures compliance with relevant US government rules and regulations. The COP will also take the lead in coordinating with USAID representatives, the Government of Ethiopia, and other implementing partners.
- The program will contribute to the ability of Ethiopian sub-national government to meet citizen needs and to citizen engagement in governance;
- Project will meet deliverables on time and within budget
- The project will be in compliance with the project contract and USAID regulations.
- Coordination with other implementers, Government of Ethiopia institutions, and other key stakeholders improves synergies and increases the impact of the project.
- Manages and is responsible for technical and financial performance of the project;
- Provides technical direction, leadership, and oversight of all administrative matters;
- Ensures technical, financial, and administrative activities are carried out according to Creative's policies and procedures and consistent with donor regulations;
- Develops and implements work plans for project activities;
- Oversees implementation of project monitoring and evaluation activities and ensures that project results are met;
- Supervises development and submission of project deliverables and provides timely and accurate reporting and briefings to USAID and relevant stakeholders on all program areas;
- Oversees implementation of Creative's security protocols and provides leadership in handling security-related issues; and
Manages project team in a manner that is open and respectful and encourages professional development, and solicits constructive staff input.
Master's degree from an accredited university in public administration, public policy, finance, political science, international development or a relevant field is required; Bachelor's degree with additional work experience may be considered;
A minimum of ten (10) years of general experience with seven (7) years of COP or team leader in a program of similar size and scope, or relevant experience working in governance programs, including experience with a contractor or international NGO with demonstrated supervisory experience; minimum of twelve (12) years of experience with a Bachelor's degree;
Demonstrated experience and knowledge establishing systems and overseeing start-up under limited time constraints as well as program close-out;
Experience in the hiring and supervising of host country local personnel and ensuring, when need arises, that they secure necessary training required to meet program needs;
Experience with activity design, development, and implementation;
Strong management and leadership skills, including the ability to mentor staff;
Past representational experience with host governments, other donors, and civil society and demonstrated success with inter-agency coordination and joint programming;
Experience advancing equity and inclusion of women, youth, and other marginalized groups;
Familiarity with and experience in Ethiopia is preferred, but not required;
Effective presentation skills required;
Fluency in English required, and Amharic preferred
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; and
Strong analytical capacity.