Temporary Finance Manager
Vital Strategies, headquartered in New York City, is an international public health organization. Our programs strengthen public health systems and address the world’s leading causes of illness, injury and death. We currently work in 73 countries, supporting data-driven decision making in government, advancing evidence-based public health policies and mounting strategic communication campaigns. Vital Strategies’ priorities are driven by the greatest potential to improve and save lives. They include non-communicable disease prevention, cardiovascular health promotion, tobacco control, road safety, obesity prevention, epidemic prevention, overdose prevention, environmental health, vital statistics systems building and multidrug-resistant tuberculosis treatment research. Our programs are primarily concentrated in low- and middle-income countries in Africa, Latin America, Asia and the Pacific; the Overdose Prevention Program is our first initiative in the U.S. Vital Strategies is in the process of establishing an office in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. There will be approximately 27 team members in country. Please visit our website at www.vitalstrategies.org to find out more about our work.
Vital Strategies offers highly competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits. Vital welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment.
Vital Strategies is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Temporary Finance Manager. This is a 5 month, full-time position based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Applicants must have a valid work permit to work in Ethiopia.
The Temporary Finance Manager will report directly to the Country Director, Ethiopia and functionally to the International Finance Officer. The Temporary Finance Manager will be responsible for country office financial operations during the Finance Manager's maternity leave. Responsibilities include: ensuring proper monthly closings, monitoring internal controls, maintaining the integrity of financial data, training staff on process and procedures, managing the annual budget process coordinating the annual financial reporting, and meeting the financial Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for Vital Strategies Ethiopia.
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Accounts Payable including: reviewing for appropriate signatories and coding
- Manage accounts receivable
- Reconcile inter-company transfers, cash, bank, and credit cards
- Responsible for data entry of expenses into the accounting system
- Processing fund request from grants managers/programs to headquarters
- Manage grants accounting
- Prepare, analyze, and distribute monthly and annual financial statements in a timely manner
- Prepare financial reports for donors
- Ensure financial reporting and balance sheet are in compliance with local GAAP
- Completion of tax reporting requirements as needed
Budgeting and Financial Controls:
- Monitor monthly actual to budget variances. Update the management team on a monthly basis of any financial and budget concerns
- Implement financial internal controls in areas such as: procurement, contracts, and agreements
- In coordination with finance headquarters, lead the annual audit process
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting process in collaboration with the Country Representative
- Administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes; and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting
- Implement a robust financial management/reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to
- Establish a review process to continuously improve financial accounting practices, and related policies and procedures
- Work closely with the local operations manager to update, implement, and provide guidance on finance-related business policies
- Effectively communicate and present critical financial matters to the Country Representative and CFO
- Any other responsibilities assigned by the International Finance Officer
- Minimum of a BA or BSc, ideally with an MBA/Chartered accountant or related degree
- Minimum seven (7) years of overall experience as a financial professional and minimum one year working with an international organization.
- Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with -- programmatic colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds
- Advanced MS Excel skills
- Experience using financial software (Exact Globe, Net Suite, etc.)
- Analytical mindset with strong attention to details
- Ability to set priorities and problem-solve
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of Vital Strategies
- Current residency in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- This Vacancy Advertisement is open to Ethiopian Nationals and candidates holding a valid work resident permit for Ethiopia
- Vital Strategies strongly encourages qualified female candidates to apply
How to apply:
Please submit a CV and cover letter, through the Vital Strategies Career Center. The deadline for applications is *December 14, 2020. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted*