Every employee of IRI is responsible for carrying out the Mission of IRI and demonstrating the Core Values in their day to day operations. The Core Values, which are IRI’s foundational building blocks include:
Excellence- We believe in quality results delivered by investing in people. Freedom- We believe in exploration and experimentation to be agile and responsive. Respect- We believe in trust, empathy and empowering people. Teamwork- We believe in diversity, inclusion and the power of global collaboration. Transparency- We believe in open communication and clear decision-making. Accountability- We believe in personal responsibility as the foundation of success.
The International Republican Institute (IRI) is seeking a Logistics and Operations Coordinator for the International Election Observation Mission in Ethiopia (IEOME). In partnership with the National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) the IEOME will assess Ethiopia’s national and regional parliamentary elections and the degree to which they are inclusive, transparent and accountable and are conducted in accordance with international and regional standards for credible elections. The Logistics and Operations Coordinator is expected to be deployed to Ethiopia and will report to the Deputy Mission Director with guidance from Washington, DC headquarters.
S/he would have primary logistics and operations responsibilities of the IEOME including:**
- The Logistics and Operations Coordinator is responsible for preparing the logistics, briefing materials and briefings for observers; procuring equipment necessary to carry out the IEOME; and handling STO deployment.
- S/he will be responsible for coordinating logistics and operations throughout the mission including finding, securing and equipping an office, organizing all transport and accommodation for IEOME staff and observers, identifying relevant vendors and
- Serves as an IEOME representative in country, developing credibility with and maintaining good relationships with all relevant vendors and service providers.
- Draft an administrative and logistics plan for the IEOME, including office policies for IEOME staff and observers; inform the deployment plans for thematic analysts, long -term observers (LTOs) and short-term observers (STOs);
- Establishes, maintains, and develops productive working relationship with relevant IEOME field and DC staff and serve as liaison for Washington DC procurement and accounting staff.
- Oversees all operations related to the IEOME field presence and ensures IEOME is in compliance with local laws regarding legal status in the country, employment of local staff, procurement and tax regulations.
- Monitors IEOME office budgets and expenses, in collaboration with the deputy mission director, DC program staff and the project accountant, to ensure that expenditures remain within budget allocations.
- Oversees IEOME staff and delegates’ movements in-country and internationally and coordinates required travel authorizations and security measures.
- May supervise designated administrative national field staff, including participating in the hiring, professional development and evaluation process for these staff. Sets specific goals and provides ongoing performance feedback.
- Maintains an understanding of donor and CEPPS policies and procedures related to grant compliance and oversight as well as substantive and financial requirements.
- Anticipates potential problems and trouble shoots project problems and offers solutions and actively takes part to lead resolution of them with creative and immediate solutions.
- Facilitate sharing and dissemination of logistics and operations information; prepare and conduct administrative orientations for long term analysts (LTAs), STOs, LTOs, and IEOME Leadership, and assist in drafting written operations guidelines and memos as required.
- Conduct site advance visits to all locations of STOs/LTOs/Leadership deployment to access physical vendors, transportation, lodging, communications, medical support, and other administrative aspects. Manage the identification and procurement of required operations such as communication, meals and incidentals as needed.
- As a function of site advance process, identify recommended lodging for LTOs/STOs based on compliance regulations and IEOME office policy on food service, communications, and quality of life considerations.
- Manage the selection, vetting, and training of transportation resources (commercial air, vehicles, drivers, other as needed) to be used by the IOM. Communications;
- Lead the identification and assessment of hotel options for primary mission hotels in Addis Ababa and throughout the deployment locales in the country.
- Work with the IEOME Mission Director and Deputy on the processing and maintenance of local staffing and service contracts.
- Lead the IEOM Core team leadership in finalizing the delegation’s schedule, room arrangements and staff support assignments, and will coordinate with the IEOME staff and the STO Coordinator on vehicle and communications support.
- Provides information and contributes to sections of quarterly, semi-annual, final and other relevant reports for donors.
- Perform any other duties assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field preferred; or equivalent combination of experience and/or education
- Minimum of three-five years’ experience providing security support to international election observer missions in Africa and developing countries
- Experience working and living in complex political environment or developing countries
- Ability to analyze multiple issues and develop logistics-specific recommendations
- Highly developed interpersonal skills to work with all levels of staff, leadership and vendors.
- Ability to plan, organize, coordinate and implement security operations in the field.
- Flexibility and adaptability in order to rapidly adjust program activities based on changing political or electoral circumstances and in response to needs articulated by local partners and program stakeholders.
- Strong oral and written communications skills to effectively present information in a clear and persuasive manner in English.
- Working knowledge of PC-based word processing and spreadsheet applications; experience with Google Apps (Gmail, Calendar, Google Drive, G+, etc.) strongly desired.
How to apply:
Please submit cover letter and resume to: