Department: Project Implementation Unit
Position: Project Engineer
Direct Hierarchy: Area Coordinator
Location: Dollo Ado
Starting Date: March 2019
ACTED is a French humanitarian NGO, founded in 1993, which supports vulnerable populations, affected by humanitarian crises worldwide. ACTED provides continued support to vulnerable communities by ensuring the sustainability of post-crisis interventions and engaging long-term challenges facing our target populations, in order to break the poverty cycle, foster development and reduce vulnerability to disasters. Their interventions seek to cover the multiple aspects of humanitarian and development crises through a multidisciplinary approach which is both global and local, and adapted to each context. Their 3,300 staff is committed in to responding to emergencies worldwide, to supporting recovery and rehabilitation, towards sustainable development.
The Engineer is responsible for all activities associated to site maintenance and improvement works, infrastructure and shelter intervention in the sites (if applicable), under the direct supervision of the Area Coordinator.
This includes but it is not limited to preparing BoQs, working with ACTED’s logistics department in the procurement of items needed for project implementation, mobilizing, training and supervising skilled and unskilled labours, dealing with contractors, involving and consulting communities prior to any works and ensuring that the needs of vulnerable groups and people with specific needs are taking into account and addressed during activities
Duties and Responsibilities
Infrastructure and site maintenance
· Supervising regular assessment of site infrastructure and physical service delivery in the camp (e.g. drainage, roads, water supply, community infrastructure)
· Prepare accurate BoQ for site maintenance and infrastructure works
· Select casual labours in cooperation with communities and ensure that there is an equal representation of gender, age and minorities within the workforce
· Preparing plans for site works, and overseeing implementation by casual labours /contractors as needed
· Considering environmental impacts of infrastructure works from planning to implementation and taking all the necessary measures to mitigate the impacts as much as possible
· In coordination with the other team members, as well as the line manager, conduct assessments to identify infrastructure needs related to WASH priorities, with a focus on improving vulnerable resident’s access to services
· Ensure all the necessary measure to guarantee safety of casual labours, contractors and site population are in place through the implementation of site maintenance, shelter and infrastructure works
· Store, manage and maintain tools and items for site upgrading/site maintenance in coordination with the logistic department and ensuring compliance to ACTED internal procedures
· Coordinate with other ACTED department regarding procurement of any material resources for site upgrading/site maintenance
· While carrying out site maintenance, infrastructure and site improvements intervention always paying special attention to accessibility and special needs of vulnerable group, particular of people with limited mobility
· Full management of technical temporary shelter construction including all phases of tasks and activities that go into the construction of T-shelters
· Prioritize IDP sites for the construction of temporary shelters
· Coordinate registration with all relevant stakeholders
· Working with ACTED’s logistics department to ensure swift procurement of agreed upon items
· Full management and training of skilled and unskilled labour need for construction of shelters
· Managing of all SNFI items in ACTED warehouse and assuring that items and their transportation to site are adequately planned
· Forecast changes in work plans and ability to coordinate with other ACTED departments
· Coordinate with government officials and create tripartite land tenure agreements for site prioritized
· Create blueprints for infrastructure construction
· Ensure payment of casual labour
Partner coordination and Service Delivery Monitoring
· Conduct regular service and infrastructure monitoring for the sites in close cooperation with the Information Management Assistant and map partners and community infrastructure in the sites
· Timely report to the line Manager any gaps and duplication in the service delivery and any site upgrading/maintenance intervention needed
· Support to partners to achieve agreed minimum standards and service delivery quality.
Community liaison, mobilisation, and accountability
· Leading in the creation or strengthening of Site maintenance committees so that the appointment of committee members is done in a transparent and inclusive way and that ToR are created in a participatory manner and agreed upon all stakeholders
· Train the committee members & coaching them through organisation of regular meetings was well as daily supervision
· In cooperation with the other team members, consult community members and particular community governance structures prior to implement site improvements and maintenance works
· Cooperate with the other teams members to create a skill database of the residents in the site, particularly in regards to construction and specialized works (such as plumbing, carpentry etc etc)
· Liaising with other team members for complaints and feedbacks related to shelter, site maintenance and infrastructure
· Support training and coaching of other camp committees, partner agencies and site team on WASH and WASH related topics, as requested by the line manager
· Supporting improvement of information management systems in the site in collaboration with the database assistant including: identification of information gaps, databases and reports and infrastructure mapping and monitoring
· Considering gender, protection, and GBV concerns in all aspects of activities
· Promoting of and adhering to Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse policy and guidelines (for site residents, ACTED staff, partner agencies, casual labours)
· Supporting and promoting participation of women, youth, people with specific needs and marginalised groups in camp governance mechanisms and WASH Activities
· Referring to and following up with protection partners on identification and addressing of cases of vulnerability within the camp found during daily activities
· Ensure that principles of data confidentiality are respected in information management activities and that sensitive data of beneficiaries are protected when stored or shared if strictly necessary
· Consult the community prior to conduct any site maintenance and infrastructure work so that the activities are implemented in a participatory manner, with active involvement of community members, particularly vulnerable groups and people with specific need
· Ensuring that all site maintenance and infrastructure interventions are carried out through a vulnerability lens and whenever site maintenance activities are implemented, always consider accessibility to infrastructure and inclusion of people with specific needs
Project management and reporting
Planning, Implementing and Reporting
· Supporting the line manager in devising weekly and long-term work plans for the project implementation, particularly or information management activities
· Attending regular staff coordination meetings
· Excellent liaison with other Site Team Members, ensuring consistency and coordination of activities in the site
· Timely reporting on problems and challenges in the site to the line Manager
· Timely reporting on security and safety incidents, including fire, evictions, floods and any possible security hazards in the site to Line Manager
· Timely submission of weekly report or other reports as requested by the line manager
· Prepare accurate BoQ for Project Implementation
· Send accurate and precise order forms in a timely manner
· Confirm quality of material selection if and when applicable
· Dealing with contractors whenever needed or requested
· Commitment to continuous learning through trainings and timely identification of capacity-building needs and opportunities, in coordination with line Manager/ HR Dept.
· Select casual labours for site maintenance and infrastructure work
· Train and supervise unskilled labours
Transparency and Compliance
· Ensuring compliance to ACTED internal procedures and donor procedures
· Accurate record keeping of project documentation, including photos and proper filing of meeting minutes, databases, attendance sheets, assessment reports/documents, review and updating of databases etc., in soft and hard copy
· Provide translation of various documents (e.g. reports, minutes, beneficiary lists, information signs) upon request of the line Manager.
· Perform any additional task as requested by the line Manager.
Essential qualifications and experience:
· Completion of university degree in civil engineering, architecture, urban planning or engineering
· Minimum Five years of experience in international and/or local NGO; ideally involved in the direct implementation of field level humanitarian assistance to refugees or IDPs.
· Technical skills such as using AutoCAD, ArcGIS, ODK and Microsoft Office.
· Experience in community services, women empowerment, youth activities, protection, distribution or registration.
· Experience in working with national partners, local/government authorities, and UN organizations.
· Experience working in an IDP camp setting
Essential knowledge and skills:
· Extensive knowledge of Country’s displacement context.
· Willingness to travel up to 50% to different locations of Somali Region
· Excellent communication skills.
· Excellent interpersonal and team-playing skills.
· Highly flexible, with the ability to use initiative.
· Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
· Commitment to humanitarian principles and values.
· Understanding of gender, protection and human rights.
· Commitment to promoting gender equality.
· Proficiency in English and local language, both oral and written.
· Managerial experience, including leading/supervising subordinate staff, organizing activities and report writing.
· Experience in training and capacity-building of staff.
· Experience in WASH, including Introduction to WASH Training.
· Preferable experience operating in a refugee/IDP camp environment.
· Knowledge of logistics and procurement processes.
How to apply:
Qualified persons with the required skills are invited to submit their applications accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae detailing three work related referees and contacts to email@example.com and received on or before 5.00PM on 23rd November 2020 with the subject line “Project Engineer-Dollo Ado”. Applications sent after the deadline will not be considered.
Please note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent in connection with recruitments.
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.