Deputy Chief of Party/Technical Director (Addis Ababa, Ethiopia)
Action Against Hunger – USA seeks an experienced Deputy Chief of Party/Technical Director for the anticipated USAID/Ethiopia Empowered Communities for Better Health (ECBH) program. Under this anticipated program, USAID/Ethiopia aims to “*empower communities to take ownership and action over their health and nutrition and drive a cycle of accountable and responsive health service delivery.”*
Reporting to the Chief of Party (COP), the DCOP/Technical Director will be responsible for the overall technical excellence of the USAID ECBH project. This role will lead a team of technical experts who maximize the impact and effectiveness of the project by responding to the needs of the implementing team and maximizing integration across the project’s strategies and approaches. The DCOP/Technical Director guarantees that the project is guided by global best practices as well as current health research, community engagement and advocacy for healthier lives within the Ethiopian context.
This position is contingent upon award and will be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Work closely with the Ministries of Health, Youth, Women Affairs, Finance, etc. from the Government of Ethiopia and other coordinating bodies such as the Ethiopia Nutrition Coordinating Unit at all levels including 2nd and 3rd tier cities.
- Provide technical leadership to increase sustained adoption and practices of appropriate health and nutrition behaviors and health literacy and demand for quality health and nutrition services.
- Development and/or use of innovative delivery approaches, programming standards, guidance, tools and training on health and nutrition interventions to maximize program impact
- Strengthen and improve community health and nutrition outcomes through advocation for improved social and gender norms.
- Ensure smart investments in country-owned, community-led health investments, especially among under-represented or marginalized populations.
- Provide technical leadership of community mobilization efforts and interventions including the development of innovation grants, women leadership, health insurance expansion and other initiatives that further empower communities to seek a healthier life
- Responsible for finalizing the technical publications, briefs, donor reports and resources developed by the project. Oversee a team of technical advisors who design and implement social behavior change strategies to address barriers to risk reducing behaviors
- Establish and implement capacity strengthening strategies for local organizations to influence and advocate for responsive health systems and services
- Master’s degree or higher required in public health, social sciences, health communication, community health, social work, nursing, midwifery or other relevant health or development field from an accredited university/college is required.
- At least ten (10+) years of experience in the successful implementation of international development activities, with preference given to behavior change and advocacy programs in both development and humanitarian settings.
- At least eight (8+) years of experience as a DCOP, Technical Director or in a comparable managerial position on donor-funded projects, preferably for USAID programs.
- Proven experience building capacity for local government and community leaders, especially those populations under 30 years of age in Ethiopia, through small grants or other methodologies.
- Familiarity with behavior change theories, community engagement and sustainability models/approaches.
- Proven experience in developing programs that enhance social mobilization for essential healt.h
- Fluency in English (oral, writing, and reading).
- Ability to reside and work in Ethiopia full time.
- Travel within Ethiopia and internationally.
Action Against Hunger-USA provides all staff with an attractive salary & benefits package. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees & qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Action Against Hunger-USA complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
How to apply:
To apply please visit: