FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in Health Education, Nutrition, Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender, Youth, Research and Technology– creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries, all 50 U.S. states and all U.S. territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP). This position is subject to project award and funding.
The DCOP will serve as the project’s technical coordinator responsible for ensuring that the project’s technical approach is tailored to the unique challenges and opportunities in each of the regions where the project operates and the unique opportunities of specific beneficiaries. The DCOP will supervise the technical leads of the project to develop technical approaches, content and partnerships that are contextually appropriate, flexible, and high quality. Additionally, the DCOP will liaise regularly with partner organizations to ensure high quality implementation, appropriate engagement of key counterparts and stakeholders, that project MEL is used to monitor and constantly improve program delivery, and that high-quality deliverables and reports are realized in a timely manner. S/he will be the main person to receive evidence (from inside or outside the project), analyze it with support from the M&E director, and provide the COP with strategic choices.
- Providing technical direction and oversight of project activities;
- Supervising in-country technical leads;
- Supporting positive relations with government counterparts and implementing partners through regular coordination and communication;
- Working with technical leads and project partners in each location to ensure a shared vision for project activities and outcomes, address implementation challenges, and encourage the sharing of best practices and project successes;
- Monitoring activities in each location against the approved work plan and ensuring alignment with the project monitoring plan and budget;
- Overseeing the accuracy and technical quality of all project deliverables, including periodic performance reports, financial and technical reports, training materials, and instructional materials;
- Ensuring that project technical teams have the technical and administrative support needed to ensure high quality and timely implementation of activities according to the workplan;
- Provide project level support and management during absences of COP;
- Deliver capacity building trainings and mentoring to project staff to improve the technical delivery activities.
- The DCOP must hold an advanced degree (minimum a Master’s Degree) in public health or a relevant field from a college or university.
- 8+ years of relevant project management experience providing technical leadership to major donor funded public health projects, preferably with activities or components relating to community engagement, capacity strengthening, and / or social and behavior change.
- 2+ years of senior project leadership of USAID or US government funded projects;
- Technical and/or project management experience in public health sector in Ethiopia.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively work with USAID and international donors, government counterparts, and project stakeholders;
- Demonstrated sufficient diplomatic, management and interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent team building and supervisory skills;
- Fluency in written and spoken English required; proficiency in local language preferred.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360's Career Portal.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research, technology, communication and social marketing — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
As we evolve to meet the challenges of the future, we stand committed to the principles that have guided our organization for the last 40+ years. Our work continues to be grounded in research and science, strengthened by partnerships and focused on building the capacity of individuals, communities and countries to succeed.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
FHI 360 will never ask you for your career site username or password, and we will never request money, goods or services during the application, recruitment or employment process. If you have questions or concerns about correspondence from us, please email CareerCenterSupport@fhi360.org.