For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 35 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
Based on the assessment findings carried out by MdM France and MdM Germany in the Somali region, an emergency project has been developed, aiming at the humanitarian needs in the Nogob Zone caused by ongoing drought and conflict in the area.
The project has started in July 2019 (24 months duration, extension possible depending on the context). With fundings from German Foreign Affairs Office (GFFO), MdM is implementing several health activities in and around the village of Gerbo, Somali Region, focusing on SRH, BEmONC and prevention of epidemics, whereas a local partner NGO is focusing on Nutrition and WASH in Nut activities.
The progamme is a joint MdM network project between MdM France and MdM Germany. The field coordinator will be responsible for the MdM Germany part of the programme (Somali Region) within the joint MdM mission in Ethiopia.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of the field coordinator, you are responsible for the good management of finance, human resources, administrative and legal processes of the Somali project.
You facilitate the financial and administrative handover between both organizations and the establishment of structures and stabilisation of the organization in the country and region.
Your main responsibilities are:
- Supervise the payment of all mission expenses (invoices, taxes, salaries…)
- Compile, control and validate the mission expenses through the WINPACCS software (bases + partners)
- Ensure the correct allocation of the expenses (accounting codes and donors budget lines) and the respect of MdM internal procedures as well as donors requirements
- Proceed to the monthly accountancy closure (bank reconciliations and cash counts, books balances, matching of the advances…)
- Review the hard copies and ensure that they respect national legal requirements, internal procedures as well as donors requirements and send the copies to HQ on a monthly basis
- Ensure a reliable and comprehensible/traceable archiving of all documents
- Develop and implement finance and accounting procedures in line with MdM internal rules and donor requirements
- Be responsible for the follow-up of the mission budget
- Support and organise monthly updates of the budget follow-up through the base administrators in the Somali region
- Work closely with the field staff and the partners (administrative, logistics and programme staffs) to guarantee efficient, correct and realistic planning of expenses
- Prepare the financial and administrative reports (donors reports, internal reports, reports to the governmental authorities…)
- Monitor budget consumption and work with programme and coordination staff to guarantee effective and appropriate consumption following donors requirements
Administrative and HR Management
- Guarantee, in collaboration with MdM GE administration department and MdM FR coordination in Addis Abeba, the respect of internal and legal procedures and propose updates and improvements
- Be responsible for the administrative management of activities in the Somali region: contracts for national staff, ensure adequation with their job description, monitor staff leave in the Somali region, pension and health policy, disciplinary processes, and monitor the cost of living
- Check and validate the monthly payroll, ensure the payment of salaries, taxes and pension on time
- Follow-up on the administrative processes for expatriate staff, in collaboration with MdM GE administration department and MdM FR coordination unit in Addis Abeba
- Follow up and regularly communicate with the field coordinator about the well-being of all staff in the Somali region
- Ensure, in collaboration with all managers in the Somali region, that the annual individual interviews of the staff are carried out and evaluate the needs for trainings
- Ensure the capacity building of the team under your supervision
- Ensure the capacity building of the partners’ administration team (travels to Addis Abeba)
- Follow up, in close collaboration with MdM FR coordination team, the registration of MdM GE and administrative/legal procedures and link with governmental agencies and local authorities
- Monitor the local legislation and practices, in close collaboration with MdM FR coordination team
- Follow up the contracts and agreements (rental contracts, MoUs, dates and renewal, respect of the conditions and legal aspects…)
- Represent MdM, with the direction of the field coordinator, in regional meetings with Somali government representatives and other regional actors
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Status : Employee
Contract : Fixed-term contract
Duration : 3 months
Starting date : as soon as possible
Gross monthly salary 2 574 euros
Based in Jigjiga with potential visit to field locations
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM and 40% by the employee)
Given the current circumstances of Covid-19 pandemic, we are taking special measures to apply health protocols and hygiene measures to guarantee the safety of our staff.
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED:
University Master's degree mandatory
At least 3 years experience in working in an international NGO in emergency contexts
Essential working experience in developing countries and conflict/post conflict context
Work experience in administrative, finance and HR
Excellent knowledge of Windows (Excel and Word)
Strong intercultural skills
Able to prioritize and anticipate, reactive and flexible
Ability to work under stressful situation
Good communication skills
Excellent organizational skills
Languages: fluent English is mandatory (oral and written) and knowledge of country languages such as Amharic and Somali would be an asset
You are committed to MdM’s values as an organisation and motivated by its non-statutory, NFP model.
TELEPHONE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
Médecins du Monde reserves the right to fill the vacancy before the closing date for applications.
MdM stands up for the integration of people living with disabilities and fights against discrimination.
How to apply:
To apply, click on the following link : http://www.jobs.net/j/JOmfEnzN?idpartenaire=128