Monitoring and Evaluation Expert
About the role
Despite this sustained high growth, Ethiopia ranks 173/188 in the 2018 UNDP Human Development Index, 126/141 in the 2019 Global Competitiveness Index, and 159/190 in the 2019 World Bank Doing Business Index. Also, increased reliance on megaprojects to fuel growth led to large external imbalances with increasing debt, current account deficits, and decreasing exports as a share of GDP. Recently, imports have declined due to the lack of foreign exchange, while export revenues have been stagnant due to a decline in world prices for export commodities, a loss of competitiveness from high inflation, and regulatory issues in certain sectors. It is within this context that the government of Ethiopia and the European Commission have identified this TA programme to improve the business climate for foreign and domestic through various reforms.
- Provide TA and capacity-building to public sector entities in Ethiopia for implementing reforms to improve the business environment;
- Support the establishment or modernisation of e-government systems and provide capacity-building and implementation support for the e-government systems implemented;
- Support public-private dialogue in Ethiopia and existing and potential investors. In this project, public-private dialogue is defined as any platform where the government and private sector can discuss matters related to the business environment.
- TA and capacity-building, in forms including advice, expertise, capacity-building and training, provided to selected public sector entities in Ethiopia in the field of regulatory, policy and/or process reforms to improve the business environment.
- In three identified technical streams:
- e-government systems (i.e. processes and systems whereby government information and services are provided via the Internet or other digital means to citizens, businesses or other governmental agencies) are successfully implemented (i.e. established, developed and/or modernised, up-scaled, upgraded and automated) and capacity-building, on the job and post-system automation implementation support are provided for the e-government systems implemented.
- Support provided to public-private dialogue and to existing and potential investors, including through short term-expertise for relevant studies and analytical work, identification of areas where public-private dialogue is needed, organisation of dialogues and networking activities, support for the development and formation of existing and/or new public-private dialogue platforms, as well as communication, visibility and awareness-raising with the local and international private sector.
The monitoring and evaluation expert, based in Addis Ababa, will be in charge of following up on all the streams of the project and ensure that confidence with the beneficiaries is built and maintained.
Qualifications and skills
- At least a master’s degree or equivalent diploma in economics, management, statistics, monitoring and evaluation, engineering, development studies and social sciences or related field. Alternatively, a bachelor’s degree in similar fields and at least 5 years of professional experience in addition to the minimum required below.
- Excellent communication and leadership skills and experience in establishing strong working relationships with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Fully computer literate, proficient user of Microsoft Office and proficiency in computer data management applications.
- Fluency in English and Amharic, including excellent speaking, presentation and written reporting abilities.
- General professional experience
- At least 5 years of professional experience in areas directly relevant to monitoring and evaluation systems.
- Specific professional experience
- At least 3 years of experience in developing and implementing monitoring and evaluation systems in developing countries.
- At least 2 years of professional experience covering formulation, implementation and evaluation of policies, programmes or projects in areas related to business environment reforms and/or trade facilitation.
- Proven leadership skills and successful experience in project coordination or team management.
- Experience in Ethiopia or Sub Saharan Africa (SSA) will be an asset.
- Experience with e-governance projects will be an asset.
- Experience in the application of EDF procedures will be an asset.
All experts must be independent and free from conflicts of interest in the responsibilities they take on.
You’ll be working with Crown Agents which is a high impact social enterprise passionate about transforming the future for millions of people. Since our creation in 1833 we have worked across the globe to improve public services and drive economic growth. Our expertise is finding new solutions to difficult problems for clients in the areas of health, governance, economic growth, humanitarian action and supply chain services. We work with and train leaders at local, national and international level to achieve lasting change drawing on our insight and experience.
About what's on offer
Crown Agents offers a competitive benefits package.