Field coordinator (M/F) - Ethiopia
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 35 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
Based on the assessment findings carried out by MdM France and MdM Germany in the Somali region, an emergency project has been developed, aiming at the humanitarian needs in the Nogob Zone caused by ongoing drought and conflict in the area.
The project has started in July 2019 (24 months duration, extension possible depending on the context). With fundings from German Foreign Affairs Office (GFFO), MdM is implementing several health activities in and around the village of Gerbo, Somali Region, focusing on SRH, BEmONC and prevention of epidemics, whereas a local partner NGO is focusing on Nutrition and WASH in Nut activities.
The progamme is a joint MdM network project between MdM France and MdM Germany. The field coordinator will be responsible for the MdM Germany part of the programme (Somali Region) within the joint MdM mission in Ethiopia.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of the general coordinator based in Addis Abeba, you will be in charge of the overall implementation of the MdM intervention and project in Somali region.
You will report to MdM Germany in very close coordination with MdM France office (general coordinator and coordination team) in Addis. You will manage directly the programme team of the Somali Region, which is composed of to 1-2 expats and a team of up to 20 local staff in Jijiaga and Gerbo.
Your main responsibilities are to:
- Follow contextual development in Somali region, especially in Gerbo woreda district and prepare an update for the monthly reporting
- Propose new ideas and modalities to improve the project activities implementation considering contextual and legal developments
- Monitor the political and security situation in the project areas and update general coordinator and logistics coordinator accordingly
- Ensure that appropriate security guidelines are developed, communicated, adhered to, and regularly reviewed with the coordination team
- Ensure timely and accurate security/incident reports are sent to the general coordinator and the logistics coordinator
- Ensure the implementation of the programme and its follow-up in its different aspects: logistical, administrative and medical
- Ensure coordination, monitoring and integration of the activities defined in the logical framework and with the different actors involved and team members
- Report any issues related to partners' activities; update follow-up tools regularly
- Represent MdM with partners, stakeholders and authorities in relationship to the intervention inside the region
- Identify technical gaps and lead in the capacity building plan for partners and MdM team
- Maintain a regular follow-up of funds transfers, procurement, financial and activity reporting of partners
- Provide key information (log, admin, medical, etc.) to the general coordinator regarding the intervention under your supervision
- Maintain partner MoUs and update the drafts for renewal based on understandings and developments of the projects
- Contribute to proposal and project report writings as requested
- Maintain the map of project activities and update it accordingly
- Participate in project and strategy planning meetings
- Ensure technical support for partners
- Prepare monthly context report in coordination with the logistics manager
- Compile monthly project activities report and submit to the general coordinator and the medical coordinator
- Complete monthly data and fill monitool
- Compile monthly spending reports
- Contribute to donor reporting related to project activities
- Actively assist the coordination between MdM France and MdM Germany and establish the Somali programme under MdM-G coordination
- Ensure familiarity with donor compliance issues and MdM procedures
- Ensure appropriate administrative, financial and logistical systems/procedures are in place, maintained and adhered to by both partner and MdM
- Monitor expenditure and budget compliance on a regular basis and report any concerns to the general coordinator
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Status : Employee
Duration : 3 months
Starting date: as soon as possible
Based in Jigjiga with regular trips to Garbo
Gross monthly salary: 3 073 euros
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM and 40% by the employee)
Punctual teleworking agreement (40 days/year - minimum of 6 months seniority required)
Given the current circumstances of Covid-19 pandemic, we are taking special measures to apply health protocols and hygiene measures to guarantee the safety of our staff.
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED:
Master degree mandatory
Minimum of 5 years of senior NGO management experience in leading programmes and teams in complex emergency situations preferably within the health sector and public health background
Strong experience of project planning, monitoring and budget follow-up; proposal and report writing skills
Experience in local partnership development and management
Flexibility, reactivity, anticipation, adaptability
Good organizational skills in day to day and crisis situations
Excellent computer skills
Good communication and team management skills
Ability to classify and manage priorities - High autonomy is required
Interest and ability to work in international teams
Experience in remote-control and remote-management programmes
Experience/knowledge of the region
Familiar with supply chain and procurement process
Languages: English is mandatory (written and spoken) and Somali is an asset
You are committed to MdM’s values as an organisation and motivated by its non-statutory, NFP model.
TELEPHONE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
Médecins du Monde reserves the right to fill the vacancy before the closing date for applications.
MdM stands up for the integration of people living with disabilities and fights against discrimination.
How to apply:
Please apply via the following link: http://www.jobs.net/j/JLlwBUJZ?idpartenaire=128