Ethiopia Coordinator - Data Impact
Vital Strategies, headquartered in New York City, is an international public health organization. Our programs strengthen public health systems and address the world’s leading causes of illness, injury and death. We currently work in 73 countries, supporting data-driven decision making in government, advancing evidence-based public health policies and mounting strategic communication campaigns. Vital Strategies’ priorities are driven by the greatest potential to improve and save lives. They include non-communicable disease prevention, cardiovascular health promotion, tobacco control, road safety, obesity prevention, epidemic prevention, overdose prevention, environmental health, vital statistics systems building and multidrug-resistant tuberculosis treatment research. Our programs are primarily concentrated in low- and middle-income countries in Africa, Latin America, Asia and the Pacific. Please visit our website at www.vitalstrategies.org to find out more about our work.
Vital Strategies offers highly competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits. Vital welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment.
About the Data Impact Program of the Data for Health Initiative
The Bloomberg Philanthropies Data for Health Initiative aims to enhance public health data collection and use in low- and middle-income countries. The goal of the initiative is to ensure that a billion more people live in countries where data are used to steer public policy and program decisions. Under the Initiative, Vital Strategies, in partnership with the Ethiopian Federal Ministry of Health (the Ministry) and Ethiopian Public Health Institute (EPHI) is launching a Data Impact program to significantly enhance Ethiopia’s use of public health data to improve programs, characterize health outcomes and their risk factors, and promote evidence-informed policy development. The program involves data reporting and visualization systems improvement, direct analysis of data, the use of data for evidence briefs, and training and capacity building of Ministry personnel to enhance and distribute analytic skills.
About the Position
The Data Impact Coordinator, based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, will be responsible for ensuring that the implementation of Initiative-funded activities in Ethiopia is country-owned and country-driven, technically sound and sustainable as well as in line with program goals and objectives, best practice standards, approved work plans, and budgets. S/he will ensure that Initiative activities are continuously monitored, and that implementation obstacles are identified and reported in a timely manner. This position will be embedded in the EPHI, with dual accountability to EPHI and Vital Strategies.
Specific duties may include:
- Develop and seek approval for work plans and timelines
- Develop data system and analytic improvement plans with Ministry/EPHI partner
- Manage inter-governmental partnerships and if necessary, create and seek approval for data sharing agreements.
- Identify and work with topical expert consultants. Where needed, work with Vital Strategies to create and oversee consulting agreements
- Author and edit data-related evidence briefs
- Organize data-oriented training programs, including curriculum support, identifying instructors, identifying participants, convening trainings
- Organize, set agendas for, and convene appropriate meetings with governmental and non-governmental stakeholders
- Monitor in-country expenditures and ensure that all such expenditures are made in accordance with agreed work plans, budgets and protocols, obtaining all required approvals before expenditures are committed or made
- Communicate regularly with and report on Initiative progress to senior government officials, Vital Strategies Technical Advisor, and Initiative partners
- Work closely with Vital Strategies’ communications teams for public events, document production, and strategic communication
Qualities and Qualifications
- Minimum of 10 years of increasing experience working in the health sector, international public health organization, or as manager of public health projects
- Post-graduate degree in relevant field (community medicine, public health, epidemiology) or equivalent experience
- Strong analytic skills and experience
- Written and oral English and Amheric language proficiency
- Ability to work independently, with an overseas supervisor
- Strong organizational and verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient user of Microsoft office suite, as well as statistical and database management software
- Willingness and ability to travel in country and internationally, pandemic dependent
- This Vacancy Advertisement is open to Ethiopian Nationals and candidates holding a valid work resident permit for Ethiopia
- Vital Strategies strongly encourages qualified female candidates to apply
Term of Service
Initial contract will be for 12 months and may be renewed, subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding. A three-month probationary period will apply, after which Vital Strategies, in consultation with Ethiopia’s EPHI, will decide about completing the contract.
How to apply:
How to Apply
Please submit a CV and cover letter, including salary expectations, through the Vital Strategies Career Center. The deadline for applications is October 2, 2020. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.