Project Manager (WASH and Shelter)
Position Title : Project Manager (WASH and Shelter)
Duty Station : Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 13 August 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People's Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the direct supervision of the Emergency and Post-Crisis (EPC) Programme Coordinator, the successful candidate will contribute to the implementation of a growing Shelter and WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene) project portfolio in Ethiopia and support the effective implementation of IOM emergency WASH and Shelter operations within the country.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Lead the development and execution of the overall Shelter and WASH strategies, for IOM in Ethiopia.
Manage the coordination and implementation of the WASH and Shelter programme to guarantee that scope, budget, time and quality are in accordance with the different project’s specifications, donor requirements and IOM rules and regulations.
Ensure sound financial management of projects to guarantee alignment with internal and donor requirements. Safeguarding that budget lines are respected and monitor burn rates for the effective use of the funds.
Lead the development of technical specifications, Bills of Quantities (BoQs), drawings of the Shelter and WASH infrastructure planned to be implemented as necessary to guarantee quality of the output and alignment to international and national standards and donor requirements.
Manage and monitor technically and administratively the Shelter and WASH teams in the country. Ensure that adequate and relevant capacity building are provided to the members of the team and transfer key skills.
Ensure that the WASH programme is driven by a sound Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning framework that leads to continuous improvement and fine-tuning of systems and processes.
Proactively identify programme development opportunities in Ethiopia, resource mobilization avenues, new thematic areas of technical intervention and strategic partnerships that would promote the expansion of IOM’s WASH portfolio.
Liaise effectively with donors at local and regional levels to ensure good relationship aimed to strengthen the WASH and Shelter programme in Ethiopia.
Coordinate closely with the Programme Support Unit regarding project developments, monitoring and reporting. Develop internal tools for activities monitoring
Actively liaise with the WASH and Shelter Clusters, other WASH agencies, government authorities/entities and any other relevant stakeholder to ensure that IOM technical activities are coordinated according to agreed standards, to avoid duplication, violation of national regulations or contravention of operational agreements set by the humanitarian community in Ethiopia.
In coordination with the Resource Management Unit and Procurement and Logistics Unit, oversee all WASH programme related procurement efforts for supplies and services, ensuring that the processes are transparent and in line with IOM and donor’s regulations. Provide the necessary resources to effectively monitor all contractual agreements with service providers and / or implementing parties.
Ensure cross-cutting issues are integrated in the Shelter and WASH programming such as GBV, Accountability to Affected Populations (AAP), Environment and other cross cutting issues related mainstreaming in coordination with the Protection Officer.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Civil, Building or Hydrology Engineering or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Previous experience managing/coordinating WASH (Water Sanitation and Hygiene) and
• Experience with an international organization or NGO;
• Field experience in a complex humanitarian emergency or post-conflict environment;
• Experience in environmental project implementation, including engineering and Monitoring &
Evaluation (M&E) activities in the region;
• Experience in partnership engagement and management;
• Good knowledge of Ethiopia and the African region is an advantage.
• Familiarity with MS Office software (Word, Excel, Access), CAD and other statistical software.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French, Spanish and/or other local languages is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply:
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 13 August 2020 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 07.08.2020 to 13.08.2020
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2020 132 Project Manager (WASH and Shelter) (P3) Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (56510004) Released
Posting: Posting NC56510005 (56510005) Released