MEDIA AND COMMUNICATION COORDINATOR
1. Develop the media and communications strategy and delivery with inputs from internal actors in country and Oxfam network as well as externals
· As per Influencing Coordinator’s leadership, develop the Oxfam Media and Communications Strategy and ensures its delivery, in partnership with other Oxfam staff, making effective use of various and innovative communication channels and technologies
· Develops and executes the communication plans, both at the organizational and programme level
· Conducts needs assessments of external and internal constituents so that communications are targeted, timely, and effective.
· Prepare variety of communication materials for both internal and external use (web content, background briefings, case studies, press releases, reactive lines) for Oxfam programme, advocacy, campaigning and fundraising work, ensuring all media and communications work is gender sensitive and follows Oxfam’s sign off procedures
· Research, compile and analyse information from media, other agencies, and Oxfam programme
· Develop and maintain communication processes and internal systems
· Support the Influencing Coordinator as the point of contact for internal and external queries relating to the Oxfam Ethiopia programme
· Networking, relationship building, information gathering and dissemination, with all relevant external actors in Ethiopia (ie. other agencies, the media) and internal actors across Oxfam in Ethiopia
· Identifies new and emerging mediums for effectively communicating with a wide range of audiences.
· Plan and organise profile-raising opportunities including media opportunities and events
· Advise Oxfam staff and partners on internal and external communications needs, ensuring best practices and providing training where necessary
· Participation in all staff meetings in a proactive way, on planning sessions and on-going liaisons as needed and work closely with Oxfam in Ethiopia programme teams.
· In cooperation with the logistics team, managing contractors from cradle-to-grave, including creating scopes of work, obtaining competitive prices, and overseeing the timely deliverable of quality contract work of media and communications products
· Be familiar with and abide by Oxfam International procedures and international standards (e.g. Sphere Minimum Standards), (where relevant) the NGO / Red Cross Code of Conduct, International Humanitarian Law (IHL) as well as protection issues
· Brand management, presenting Oxfam brand in the most positive light, ensuring Oxfam brand is used consistently and clearly, in media, communications and influencing materials.
· Provide technical assistance to Oxfam staff to monitor, excite and adhere to Oxfam brand identity standards. Make sure all digital as well as visibility materials are produced in line with the Oxfam Global brand identity.
2. Ensure that Oxfam policies and organizational values are included in all materials produced by Oxfam Ethiopia
· Ensure that the materials developed to communicate about Oxfam work internally or externally follow policies, procedures and guidelines, especially gender equity. This post will advise technical staff and programme services as needed on issues of Media, Communications and brand guidelines.
· Following the line manager requests, be ready to act as Oxfam’s representative at local and national level when engaging with local authorities, partners, etc. as required in events relating to communications activities
3. Any related assignments as assigned by the line manager
Technical Skills, Experience & Knowledge
· Bachelor (BA) or Degree from a recognised university/collage in Media & Communications, Journalism, International relations or any other related areas that can bring added value to the job.**
· Relevant Media and Communications experience of 5-7 years (ie. in the development and delivery of media and communications strategies) preferably in an international NGO and out of which 2 years should be supervisory / managerial experience.**
· Understanding and expertise in use of media and communications in advocacy and influencing programmes
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Amharic to a variety of audiences
· Understanding of development issues and knowledge of the role of NGOs in development, humanitarian and advocacy work
· Experience of writing articles, press releases, communication material productions including print and audio-visuals, and experience of providing media interview/ briefings
· Ability to anticipate media opportunities and to devise and deliver imaginative plans
· Strong interpersonal skills, sensitivity to cultural differences and ability to work in a wide variety of cultural contexts
· Strong organisational skills, with ability to prioritise work issues to meet deadlines with minimal supervision and adjust to constantly changing situations while maintaining focus on delivery and follow-through
· Able to provide specialist communications advice, training and support to the Oxfam Ethiopia Team, and key external partners
· Ability to engage with a variety of complex issues such as gender, humanitarian response and livelihoods and translate these into simple messages
· An understanding of the importance of gender on poverty and suffering and a commitment to promoting diversity
· Good computer skills (MS-word, MS-Excel, MS-Power Point, publishing and editing software and use of Email and Internet) as well as social media (Twitter, Facebook)
· Flexibility in terms of travel and working hours. Working away from the office for periods of up to 2 weeks at a time on regular basis.
· Willingness to travel including medium/high risk areas
· Knowledge of the opportunities and constraints of working with the Ethiopian media
· Photographic and video skills
· Communication skill in other local languages
· Understanding of international humanitarian principles, standards and guidelines (e.g. International Humanitarian Law, Guiding principles for Internal Displacement, protection, Sphere minimum standards, etc.)
Your commitment to Oxfam
· Understanding of and commitment to adhere to equity, diversity, gender, child safety and staff health and wellbeing principles
How to apply:
As part of your online application, please upload your up to date CV and a covering letter explaining your suitability against the essential criteria in the job profile through Oxfam internal application portal for external applicants: https://jobs.oxfam.org.uk/vacancy/12554/description and for internal applicants: (https://jobs.oxfam.org.uk/internal) any external applicants applications on these sites will not be considered) on or before 13th August 2020. Your application will be shortlisted based on your CV and your responses to the above questions. You need not comment on your suitability against the essential criteria in the job profile.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.**