Head of Programme for our Ethiopia Country Office
DanChurchAid (DCA) is looking for an energetic and experienced Head of Programme (HoP) to lead its country programme in Ethiopia.
Who are we?
In Ethiopia we work to save lives through humanitarian action, build strong and resilient communities, and fight injustice and inequality.
DCA has been supporting food insecure communities in Ethiopia with humanitarian assistance and long-term development since the mid-1970s through local churches and faith-based organizations and has been legally registered in the country since 2004. DCA Ethiopia’s modality of implementation is a combination of co- and self- implementation and working with local partners and likeminded INGOs in consortia. It has an office in Addis Ababa and 4 field offices in Amhara, Oromia, Gambella and Afar regions. The country programme has 3 thematic areas:
Community Development with particular focus on Women Empowerment
Resilience Building and Livelihood
We work with local partners and have 100+ staffs in Ethiopia. DCA Ethiopia programme currently has a turnover of app. 10 million USD For further information, please refer to: https://www.danchurchaid.org/where-we-work/ethiopia
About the job
The Head of Programmes (HoP) works directly under the supervision of the Country Director (CD). As HoP you will be responsible for two thematic areas namely: Community Development/Women Empowerment and Resilience Building and Livelihood and the programme team implementing the work. You will be working closely with the Humanitarian Programme Manager to ensure synergies with DCA Humanitarian Action activities in line with DCA commitment to nexus approach as well as the Grand Bargain.
You will be responsible for the planning, implementation and management as well as the achievements of the goals and objectives of the programme in a timely and cost-effective manner with adherence to technical quality standards and donor guidelines. Together with the CD, you will lead and inspire the strategic directions of the programme, ensuring synergy between its different components as well as high quality, accountable and innovative programme implementation. You will identify fundraising opportunities, coordinate and write applications to donors and build partnerships to sustain a continuous growth of the programme.
The Head of Programme coordinates closely with the Head of Finance and Humanitarian Programme Manager to:
- Ensure the Ethiopia Country programme portfolio is executed on time, on budget and delivers the expected outputs, outcomes and impact.
- Take the lead in design of the new DCA Ethiopia country programme
- Ensure strategic coherence and vision of the entire country programme.
- Ensure a strong and consistent technical delivery of all projects including back donor projects.
- Ensure support to fund raising and proposal development for donors.
- Ensure DCA maintains and builds strategic relations with our current and potential partners and other key stakeholders including private sector actors.
The Head of Programme role is based in Addis Ababa with regular travel and field visits as a key part of the role.
The position reports directly to the Country Director and has a key role on the Management team.
To be successful in this role the ideal candidate has:
- Min. 10 years’ experience, preferably working on community empowerment, livelihoods, resilience and private sector engagement. Experience working with local partners a significant advantage.
- Min. 5 years management experience, of which at least 3 should include management of a portfolio of programmes across multiple sectors and donors.
- Experience from Ethiopia as well as international posting is a significant advantage.
- Experience of managing a team of staff in different locations.
· Demonstrated successful experience with fundraising, donor liaison and coordination (EU, DANIDA, USAID, UN).
· Demonstrated experience of writing successful concept notes and proposals and producing good quality donor reports.
· A natural ability to think in terms of systems, compliance and structure.
· Experience of leading strategic programming and planning processes, incl. the use of Theory of Change.
· Strong leadership, team building and communication skills - both spoken and written.
· Strong analytical skills with ability to plan, coordinate and lead processes that include multiple stakeholders and interests.
- Team player with excellent communication and strong participatory leadership skills
DCA will offer the successful applicant a 24 months contract renewable dependent on both funding and performance. Start date is planned for 20 October 2020.
How to apply:
Deadline for applications is 20 September. Interviews are expected to be held at the end of September 2020. However, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and DCA reserves the right to select a candidate prior to the closing date. To apply please go to this link: https://www.danchurchaid.org/join-us/jobs/national-vancancies/head-of-programme-for-our-ethiopia-country-office
All qualified candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, religion or ethnic affiliation are encouraged to apply for the vacancy. Women and minorities are particularly encouraged to apply. Only online applications consisting as a minimum of a CV and a cover letter will be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with DCA’s Terms of Employment for national staff. A competitive package for salary, allowances and benefits is offered. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Everyone applying for a job with DCA must be ready to comply with our Staff Policy on Prevention of Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment and our Child Safeguarding Policy.